• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Viva Terlingua 12/25/13 Thru 1/1/14

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Simmons
It had been a long fall for both Linda and I work wise. Both of us have been really busy working long hours for several months. For the first time ever, the company I work for was going to be closed from Christmas day through New Years day. After doing some initial planning and talking with ED29 we decided to spend the Holidays in Terlingua.

We had our family Chistmas on Christmas Eve and hit the hay pretty early.

Day 1 Fort Worth to Terlingua

Christmas day would be a travel day. We rolled out of bed at 5 am and were loaded up and rolling by 6:10 am. We were trying something a little different this trip. Instead of pulling my trailer, we put the WR250R on one of the $100 (on sale) Cycle Gear hitch carriers.

9 hours later we pulled into the Eldorado Hotel in Terlingua and unloaded for the week and headed for a beer at the High Sierra.

IMGP7114-L.jpg

2013-12-25%2016.40.28-L.jpg

2013-12-25%2016.41.15-L.jpg

We headed up to the Porch to see if we could find ED29. We soon spotted a couple characters we knew.

IMGP7173-L.jpg

We watched the sun set and then grabbed some dinner in the Starlight Theatre.

DSCN4231-L.jpg

DSCN4229-L.jpg

On the way out we ran into Omatic, Calgory Yogi , and Jeff. They would be joining us for a ride tomorrow.

Day 2 “Top of The World”

Linda was going to relax for the day spending quality time with a good book and taking a much needed nap.

The plan for the ride today was to meet at Chili Peppers for breakfest and then head out. The breakfest buritos were tasty and filling.
We had a pretty good crew for todays ride. ED29 would be taking us to “Top of The World”. Bill and Rachel would be two up a mighty KLR, along with Calgory Yogi, Omatic, and Jeff.

IMGP7116-L.jpg

First stop would be at ED29's place so we could check out the latest things tha thave changed. I put on some more clothing as it was pretty cool this morning.

IMGP7122-L.jpg

IMGP7120-L.jpg

Click for short video

FILE1165-L.jpg

We were motoring along and ED hit a rock that tossed him on the ground.

IMGP7126-L.jpg

While he was shaking it off, Jeff noticed he re- assembled his DRZ incorrectly while fixing a front flat.

IMGP7133-L.jpg

IMGP7129-L.jpg

Soon we would be at “Top of The World”. It was beautiful day so we hung out on top for quite a while.

photo%204-L.jpg

2013-12-26%2012.22.44-L.jpg

IMGP7137-L.jpg

IMGP7141-L.jpg

Time to get moving again.

IMGP7144-L.jpg

IMGP7146-L.jpg

Back at ED29's

IMGP7148-L.jpg

While we were riding back to the town, Linda was checking out the Cemetery in the Ghost town.

DSCN4198-L.jpg

DSCN4199-L.jpg

DSCN4202-L.jpg

To get a little more riding in I followed the two KLR's to the park to get park passes.

IMGP7149-L.jpg

IMGP7151-L.jpg

After getting back to the Hotel to meet up with Linda we headed up to Ghost town to check things out.

IMGP7152-L.jpg

IMGP7155-L.jpg

IMGP7156-L.jpg

IMGP7157-L.jpg

IMGP7158-L.jpg

IMGP7159-L.jpg

IMGP7161-L.jpg

DSCN4209-L.jpg

DSCN4207-L.jpg

IMGP7163-L.jpg

IMGP7166-L.jpg

IMGP7170-L.jpg

DSCN4217-L.jpg

IMGP7172-L.jpg

DSCN4227-L.jpg

We grabbed a bite to eat and called it a night

Day 3 Terlingua to Boquillas del Carmen

Today would be a non riding day. Linda, Mike and I would be meeting Ed and his friend Bryn to go across the Rio Grande to Boquillas del Carmen. Bryn has lived in Terlingua for almost 30 years It was awesome to be able to her ask her questions about the area' s rich history.

Before heading off on 4 wheels we met Mike, ED29, and Bryn for breakfast in the Ghost Town.

IMGP7175-L.jpg

We followed Ed and Bryn through the park and were at the crossing an hour and twenty minutes later.

IMGP7178-L.jpg

IMGP7179-L.jpg

IMGP7180-L.jpg

Prior to 9/11 there was an informal border crossing to visit the village. After 9/11 the border crossing was closed and tourist money dried up. It was a rough time for the small village until 2013 when a new official border crossing was opened.

More on Boquillas del Carmen's history can be read here:

http://www.marathontexas.com/index.php?pageid=29

After a short walk to the river we boarded the row boat bound for Mexico.

Our destination

IMGP7181-L.jpg

Click for short Video

IMGP7183-L.jpg

IMGP7186-L.jpg

It was easy to see that with the crossing back open that the town was coming back to life. After passing through Mexican immigration with our Passports we headed to Jose Falcons for lunch.

Bryn had spent some time in Boquillas early this year painting the new sign for Jose Falcon's. We were treated like royalty during our visit.

IMGP7196-L.jpg

DSCN4265-L.jpg

For more of Bryn's art work click below:

http://www.leapinlizardterlingua.com/Watercolors.html

DSCN4248-L.jpg

DSCN4249-L.jpg

After a fine lunch to tamales and Cart Blanca we took a stroll through the village.

IMGP7190-L.jpg

IMGP7191-L.jpg

DSCN4250-L.jpg

DSCN4254-L.jpg

IMGP7194-L.jpg

The local church

IMGP7197-L.jpg

On the way through town the Park Bar was closed, on the way back someone had opened it up for us.

DSCN4267-L.jpg

IMGP7199-L.jpg

Reflection in the bar mirror

IMGP7205-L.jpg

IMGP7208-L.jpg

Our visit would soon be over and we be on our way back to the border.

IMGP7210-L.jpg

DSCN4271-L.jpg

IMGP7211-L.jpg

Isn't there an old joke that goes, why did the javelana cross the road?

DSCN4273-L.jpg

DSCN4274-L.jpg

On the way back to Terlingua Linda, Mike and I decided to check out the Hot Spring along the Rio Grande in the Park.

DSCN4275-L.jpg

DSCN4284-L.jpg

IMGP7227-L.jpg

DSCN4285-L.jpg

DSCN4294-L.jpg

IMGP7228-L.jpg

DSCN4291-L.jpg

IMGP7223-L.jpg

IMGP7222-L.jpg

IMGP7232-L.jpg

After hanging out that Porch for a bit with Ed and BrynLinda and I headed to La Kiva for dinner and to listen to Lavens play for a bit before before turning in.

The mystery of the evening was when would Brian and Jeff arrive from Fort Worth? They were supposed to be leaving late afternoon today.

Day 4 The River Road

The plan for today was to eat breakfast with Linda at Chili Pepper and then meet Ed at his place at 10 am.

It was a cool ride to Ed's, I am glad I was wearing my heated gear again today.

On the way to Ed's

IMGP7238-L.jpg

IMGP7241-L.jpg

I pulled in to Ed's right at 10 and see Brian's Jeep and the Conestoga Wagon camping setup being assembled.

IMGP7245-L.jpg

IMGP7246-L.jpg

Click for short video;

FILE1175-L.jpg

Brian and Jeff got in at 4 am due to driving in several hours of heavy fog, but were ready for a big day of riding. We are headed to the park and would be riding old Maverick Road and the River Road before returning to Terlingua.

Time to roll

IMGP7249-L.jpg

IMGP7251-L.jpg

IMGP7253-L.jpg

IMGP7255-L.jpg

On Old Maverick Road

IMGP7256-L.jpg

Hard to believe Mr. Luna raised 17 kids and lived to be 108 years old in this house.

IMGP7259-L.jpg

IMGP7257-L.jpg

We would soon be looking at the awe inspiring Santa Elena Canyon.

IMGP7265-L.jpg

SANTA ELENA CANYON. Santa Elena Canyon, on the Rio Grande in southwestern Brewster County, is one of the most famous canyons in Big Bend National Park. It separates the limestone mesas of the Mesa de Anguila on the northern or Texas side of the river from the Sierra Ponce on the southern or Mexican side. The entrance of the seven-mile canyon is located seven miles southeast of Lajitas (at 29°11' N, 103°42' W). Its mouth is located six miles northwest of Castolon at the southeastern end of the Mesa de Anguila (at 29°10' N, 103°37' W). Santa Elena Canyon, like Mariscal and Boquillas canyons, was carved out of thick layers of limestone originally deposited as sediments in the shallow sea that covered the Big Bend between sixty million and 130 million years ago. A mile below the entrance to the canyon, a rockslide from the Mexican side, known as the Labyrinth, rises to a height of 180 feet above the river and constitutes a major navigational hazard for boaters. Below the rockslide the canyon is narrow (sometimes as narrow as twenty-five feet) and sheer. Its walls reach a height of 1,500 feet above the river.

IMGP7268-L.jpg

After viewing the Canyon we headed up Ross Maxwell to get to the River Road.

IMGP7269-L.jpg

IMGP7271-L.jpg

IMGP7273-L.jpg

A little ways further up the road we turned on to the River Road. We got a late start so Ed was making pretty good time with few stops to ensure we would make our loop and get back by dark.

At our first stop on the River Road, we spied this relic from the days of old in Big Bend.

IMGP7274-L.jpg

IMGP7275-L.jpg

Click for short video

FILE1191-L.jpg

Small oops in some real soft stuff

IMGP7277-L.jpg

Click for a short video

FILE1179-L.jpg

IMGP7278-L.jpg

IMGP7280-L.jpg

Our next stop would be at the old Mariscal Mine. We didn't have time for any real exploring, another day I will revisit the mine.

Abandoned since the 1940s, and isolated by its remote location in the middle of Big Bend National Park, the Mariscal Mine is the best preserved mercury mining site in the state of Texas, and is a listed historic district on the National Register of Historic Places.

IMGP7282-L.jpg

IMGP7283-L.jpg

IMGP7284-L.jpg

IMGP7286-L.jpg

After this stop we would soon be at blacktop and headed back to the Porch.

IMGP7289-L.jpg

IMGP7293-L.jpg

I wound up with roughly 160 miles today. Everyone was pretty tired so we called it an early night.

Day 6 Last Ride Day This Trip

This would be my last day for a big ride this trip. David indicated at the porch last night that he might go with us today on his trick Beta. The plan was to meet David at Rogers place at 10 am.

Ed, Brian, and Jeff, stopped and found out that David would not be going with us. I met them at Tom's camp spot and away we went.

IMGP7294-L.jpg

We rode about 20 miles of blacktop and then out on dirt. Going up a big hill Ed thought he left his top box unlatched. Unfortunately. This wasn't the case.

Click for short video

FILE1184-L.jpg

IMGP7295-L.jpg

IMGP7296-L.jpg

IMGP7297-L.jpg

Ed's KLR had sheared a couple of bolts that holds on the luggage rack and rear fender on the bike. We unloaded all we could and decided to head back to Ed's to change bikes. Since it was lunch time we fired up the grill and had some hot dogs and then went exploring near Ed's place.

IMGP7298-L.jpg

IMGP7302-L.jpg

Click for short video.

FILE1187-L.jpg

IMGP7304-L.jpg

IMGP7305-L.jpg

IMGP7306-L.jpg

IMGP7307-L.jpg

IMGP7308-L.jpg

Ed was drooling over these solar panels smack dap in the middle of nowhere contacted to a big metal building.

IMGP7317-L.jpg

IMGP7318-L.jpg

IMGP7320-L.jpg

While we are out cruising around the desert, Linda decided to take a half day raft ride on the Rio Grande with Far Flung Outdoor Center.

DSCN4317-L.jpg

DSCN4318-L.jpg

DSCN4319-L.jpg

DSCN4324-L.jpg

DSCN4326-L.jpg

DSCN4330-L.jpg

DSCN4336-L.jpg

DSCN4340-L.jpg

DSCN4341-L.jpg

From the look on Linda's face you can tell she is having a great afternoon.

DSCN4343-L.jpg

DSCN4349-L.jpg

DSCN4352-L.jpg

We had heard a rumor that Long Draw Pizza was not crowded tonight, so that is where we headed for dinner. It is the best Pizza in the area.

Brian almost got us tossed out before all of us made it in the door. LOL Something about being out of Shiner almost started an international incident with our Canadian waitress. We wound up having a great time with lots of laughs at our table, and lots of fun laughing with our waitress about beer, pizza, and life in general.

Day 7 Chiso Basin

They were a lot of people in town that are regulars in the long running Friday night Ice Cream gathering at the Burger Box, in Fort Worth.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18368

Ed suggested it would be fun to have a Friday Night Ice Cream gathering at 1 pm at Chisos Basin in the Park.

First we all had to get there.

On the way to breakfest

DSCN4367-L.jpg

After entering the park.

DSCN4369-L.jpg

DSCN4370-L.jpg

I would actually get to see more today in the truck on Old Maverick.

DSCN4375-L.jpg

DSCN4377-L.jpg

DSCN4384-L.jpg

Another visit to Santa Elena so Linda could take in its beauty.

DSCN4385-L.jpg

DSCN4387-L.jpg

DSCN4388-L.jpg

DSCN4391-L.jpg

IMGP7333-L.jpg

We would soon be headed up Ross Maxwell again stopping to look all the overlooks.

DSCN4394-L.jpg

IMGP7337-L.jpg

Our next stop would be at Castolon. Castolon has the most intact building. in the park. The history of Castolon can be found here:

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrc31

IMGP7338-L.jpg

IMGP7339-L.jpg

IMGP7340-L.jpg

IMGP7341-L.jpg

IMGP7342-L.jpg

IMGP7343-L.jpg

IMGP7344-L.jpg

IMGP7345-L.jpg

Onward we go toward Ice Cream and cobbler.

DSCN4398-L.jpg

IMGP7348-L.jpg

IMGP7346-L.jpg

DSCN4402-L.jpg

DSCN4404-L.jpg

Soon we would be at the Basin

IMGP7351-L.jpg

DSCN4410-L.jpg

2013-12-30%2013.24.12-L.jpg

DSCN4415-L.jpg

It is tough work eating cobbler and ice cream

IMGP7356-L.jpg

DSCN4417-L.jpg

DSCN4418-L.jpg

Getting directions to Ed's place.

IMGP7358-L.jpg

DSCN4416-L.jpg

DSCN4422-L.jpg

Mike on the Super Tenere riding out of the Basin

DSCN4432-L.jpg

After getting back Linda and I were going to spend a little time getting organized for packing but not before a couple more photos of at the Ghost Town.

2013-12-30%2015.47.36-L.jpg

IMGP7361-L.jpg

IMGP7363-L.jpg

At 4:30 we headed to the porch to get in line for two for one burgers. Linda, Rachel, and Bill were first in line to secure us a table.

Waiting for our burgers. Chuck and Susan would join us after this photo was taken.

2013-12-30%2017.27.21-L.jpg

Day 7 Feast Ed's Place

Today was New Years Eve. Ed offered to smoke a Pork Loin and have an early day gathering at his place. It wound up being a great day to relax in the sun.

We had pretty good crew for the afternoon with Bob, Bryn, Brian, Chuck, David, Ed, Jeff, Linda, Roger, Willow and myself for the big feed. Those that headed home ealry from the desert missed a wonderful day great feast. I was also in relax mode and took a few pictures.

Willow looking for a hand and just maybe a snack.

IMGP7369-L.jpg

Relaxing with full belly's

IMGP7371-L.jpg

After feed ride for a few.

IMGP7370-L.jpg

We headed back to the Eldorado to finish loading up for tomorrows long drive home.

After getting loaded Linda and I stopped at the Boat House for a beer with David and Bob before heading to the Porch to plan our evening. At around 7 pm Brian and Jeff pulled in and told us they were loaded up and heading for home. We looked at them in astonishment, and off they went.

We headed down to La Kiva to listen to the Fabulous Vortexans play their first set before hitting the hay around 10:30.

While there with Ed and Bryn we bumped into Omatic and his buddies from Austin that he was riding with at the Ride Dual Sport event at BBRSP. Sounded like they had a great time.

RDS Ridedualsport.com report is here:

http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=4156.0

Day 8 Terlingua to Fort Worth

We got up early and hit the road at 6:15 am. Not long after I mentioned that to that Linda I was going to take is easy speed wise in the dark on the way up to Alpine a 10 point Buck sauntered across the road in front of us. We would see one more deer and a bunch of rabbits before sun up when we got to Alpine.

The rest of the ride home was uneventful. We grabbed a quick lunch in San Angelo and pulled in the driveway at 3:30 PM.

After a great week in the desert it was a long day at work in the 2nd for both of us.

The set up with using the hitch carrier on the truck worked better than I expected it to. It have a feeling it will get used regularly when I only need to carry one bike.

As usual the WR250R was flawless.

Until next time....

2014-01-05%2018.50.47-L.jpg

Very good write up and great pics. I see somethings have changed since the last time I was in the Big Bend area. How was the Boquillas crossing? It wasn't open yet last time I was there.

I'll be there at the end of the month for about 4 days. Riding out from Cali to meetup with my best friends for a few days in the State Park for some camping and drinking.

Thanks for the ride. Much more interesting than Downton Abbey currently being watched by the girls!

Another great ride report Rich! Great trip and pics!

I was looking at the El Dorado to stay at when I head out there in April.
Is it worth a stay?

Great report! Makes me want to go. Haven't been there in a couple of years.

Hey Ed good seeing you in the pics. Been to your place a couple of times. Like to visit again.

Looks great. I am hoping to make a trip to big bend next year. I have been trying to talk the family into going right after Christmas next year. Thanks.

Great writeup Rich! I'm glad you guys could make it out there to join us.

Super fine write-up Rich. Linda seems to have a smile on in every picture. I left Rogers Christmas day evening so I must have passed you on the highway. Good to see that Bob made it back to his second home.. Ed sure seems to fit in well with the locals.
I will mention to anyone that might want to make the border crossing that you did, the crossing is presently closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. I'm surprised Roger didn't accompany you all. Thanks again for the photo show and I hope to see y'all again soon. HB

Excellent report and pics. Thank you for sharing.

Very good write up and great pics. I see somethings have changed since the last time I was in the Big Bend area. How was the Boquillas crossing? It wasn't open yet last time I was there.

I'll be there at the end of the month for about 4 days. Riding out from Cali to meetup with my best friends for a few days in the State Park for some camping and drinking.

Border crossing was simple. You do need Passports, and have to hit Immigration on the Mexican side. As Hardy mentioned the crossing is not open Monday or Tuesday and you need to be back by around 5 PM.

Excellent report - Thank you!

Where is this??? I must go there.

It is the Top of The World!:mrgreen:

It is located in this general vicinity:

https://goo.gl/maps/rsdbF

Enjoyable with all the great photos. It's rough to stop and snap pics when you're having such a good time. Thanks for the time putting it all together. Can't wait to be there in March.

Many thanks to Ed for his hospitality and generous tour-guiding during my trip there in November! Its a great place to see from the seat of a dual sport.

Nice write-up, Rich. Jessica and I have seen much of the U.S. on bikes... big Bend is very close to the top of our list... you do it justice.

Border crossing was simple. You do need Passports, and have to hit Immigration on the Mexican side. As Hardy mentioned the crossing is not open Monday or Tuesday and you need to be back by around 5 PM.

Rich,

Thanks for the fun report!

Good to know you have to return by 5:00 PM at Boqua. It would be great if this location could be used as a port of entry for Mexico proper, but that is a very remote possibility.

SEYA,

RB

Back