• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Strom-a-Thon #1 is in the books

The wild flower:
DSC_4231-L.jpg

You found it!

I'd jus like ta take anuther minute or so ta thank all ya'll for the extremely exceptional Butler Map sales connected to Strom-A-Thon... whether as a pre order beforehand... or an impulse buy at the rally... A total of 34 sold helped me afford the 2 nite stay in the motel... after my first night's camping went arwy... REALLY... BIG THANX! ....I'm jus NOT a camper

Dirt Ride Day 2

It would be hard to top the first day but we certainly tried!

038_zps6c23fc72.jpg

A repeat performance by vfaame and shermandns were joined by Jorge, DRZBRI and Twofingzen on his first dirt foray. Learning from our previous day we stopped after a few dirt miles in Oxford to check for loose fasteners.

041_zps61b846f8.jpg

043_zps4b691756.jpg

[ame="http://youtu.be/v_9O9jRX6GY"]VStroms on break near Oxford Texas - YouTube[/ame]

Then it was off to a well known dual sport destination, Click, as most of the group had not been there.

050_zps185d7d75.jpg

046_zpsb975edd5.jpg

[ame="http://youtu.be/czd2N6t3dAc"]V-Strom-a-thon Sandy Creek 2 - YouTube[/ame]

045_zps9fb72337.jpg

048_zps50338e52.jpg

[ame="http://youtu.be/85W8jxOIVek"]V-Strom-a-thon Ride - YouTube[/ame]

051_zps81dcf29b.jpg

Off to Harry's on the Loop for our first break.

054_zpse3c726ef.jpg

055_zps002720db.jpg

Almost to our lunch stop in Castell we huddled under minimal shade on Hickory Creek.

056_zps196bc29d.jpg

After a belly full of BBQ we were tempted to join the locals for a swim in the Llano.

[ame="http://youtu.be/wOOvHMajgJA"]Llano River Crossing - YouTube[/ame]

Pressed for time we hurried back for the group photo and closing ceremony.

066_zpsc9f4c533.jpg

[ame="http://youtu.be/Roc0Kn5Ovm0"]V-Strom-a-thon Group Shot - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks again for the effort Timbercat, see you at #2!

Off to Harry

Glad you were with us thurs night rod. I meant to get one while we were there. I will get a map from you later.

All The BSn & Refreshin... I'm good with all that ..OH YEAH!!.
It's jus the sleepin & the early morning ride to the showers that got me.
I guess I'm just a cushy ol fart.

.... OH....& the geese at 4am.... !huh

All The BSn & Refreshin... I'm good with all that ..OH YEAH!!.
It's jus the sleepin & the early morning ride to the showers that got me.
I guess I'm just a cushy ol fart.

.... OH....& the geese at 4am.... !huh

Wait a minute Rod! The geese were part of the camping initiation, you didn't pass!:rofl::doh:

Dirt Ride Day 2

038_zps6c23fc72.jpg

A repeat performance by vfaame and shermandns were joined by Jorge, DRZBRI and Twofingzen on his first dirt foray. Learning from our previous day we stopped after a few dirt miles in Oxford to check for loose fasteners.

041_zps61b846f8.jpg

043_zps4b691756.jpg

VStroms on break near Oxford Texas - YouTube

Then it was off to a well known dual sport destination, Click, as most of the group had not been there.

050_zps185d7d75.jpg

046_zpsb975edd5.jpg

V-Strom-a-thon Sandy Creek 2 - YouTube

045_zps9fb72337.jpg

048_zps50338e52.jpg

V-Strom-a-thon Ride - YouTube

051_zps81dcf29b.jpg

Off to Harry's on the Loop for our first break.

054_zpse3c726ef.jpg

055_zps002720db.jpg

Almost to our lunch stop in Castell we huddled under minimal shade on Hickory Creek.

056_zps196bc29d.jpg

After a belly full of BBQ we were tempted to join the locals for a swim in the Llano.

Llano River Crossing - YouTube

Pressed for time we hurried back for the group photo and closing ceremony.

066_zpsc9f4c533.jpg

V-Strom-a-thon Group Shot - YouTube

Thanks again for the effort Timbercat, see you at #2!

Off to Harry

Mudclod,

Thanks so much for leading the dirt group and the great videos! Really enjoyed riding with you and everyone else.:rider:

RATS!!!!! This thing snuck up on me and caught me unprepaired. I won't miss the next one.

I was fixated on a repeat of the TAR in Junction and this blew right by me. Next year I'll be there on my K9 Wee and the Mudmullet on his GS1150. We rode all over Big Bend on those two pigs so this won't be such a step. We have crossed the James river on WR250R's and Urals (cheating) many times and love the whole area. I'm jealous!!!!!

Dirt Ride Day 2

Thanks again for the effort Timbercat, see you at y#2!

Mudclod- thanks for leading the rideit was awesome!!!

Vfaame, Drzbri, Jorge, Duane. Can't wait to get out there again with one or all of you.:rider:

The Tim's, James, Dale, Jason and Louwest and the many who's names I can't remember- it was great shooting the breeze with you guys.

Advdallas- it was an awesome ride wish you had been there.

And thanks to all that help put this together, especially timbercat, it was a great first adv riding experience.

Y'know, this weekend was way fun! I enjoyed meeting so many people. Now, watching all the pictures and crazy videos, I'm wondering if I couldn't be a little more adventurous on my Strom.

Does anybody here change from street-oriented to more dirt-oriented tires for events like this, or do you just run what you brung? The reason I ask is -- as much as I've enjoyed watching the videos of the dirt runs and in particular the James River crossing, I'm not sure I could have handled that on an Anakee 2, particularly one down to its last 1000 miles of tread.

I just run 50/50 tires on my DRZ and my Tiger all the time. I don't really care if I get a ton of miles out of a set of tires. The suspension on these bikes is so mushy compared to the sport bikes I have always ridden that I do not notice any vibration from knobbies tires. This way I am always ready!

Y'know, this weekend was way fun! I enjoyed meeting so many people. Now, watching all the pictures and crazy videos, I'm wondering if I couldn't be a little more adventurous on my Strom.

Does anybody here change from street-oriented to more dirt-oriented tires for events like this, or do you just run what you brung? The reason I ask is -- as much as I've enjoyed watching the videos of the dirt runs and in particular the James River crossing, I'm not sure I could have handled that on an Anakee 2, particularly one down to its last 1000 miles of tread.

I ran the whole time with Anakee 3's including the James River Crossing. :rider:

I'm no expert Tim, having only crossed the James River once but I don't see needing knobbies for that. The only real obstacle is the algae. I would think the more rubber on the surface (streetish tires) the better off you'd be. 50/50 tires on the dirt is a very good thing.

Something to keep in mind. Were you there this weekend, Steve? If so, I managed to totally miss you somehow.

Back