• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HellBuellies Thrills in the Hills Gets Dirty!

Reaction score
So as part of an annual tradition, Austin area Buell riders (HellBuellies) make a pilgrimage to Camp Live Oak just outside of Leakey Tx, to pillage the Three Sisters. http://campliveoak.com/ CLO is awesome, dates from the 30s or 40s, and comes with a Rio Frio swimming hole in the back!

We do this the first weekend of November, which has several benefits:
- The Divide School wild game dinner, on Friday before opening of hunting season is awesome.

- The Harley Veteran’s rally is the next weekend, so were not dodging lots of pirates who’s vessels are running aground on the rocks of the sides of the curves.

- The weather is usually cool and crisp, air-cooled Buells love it!

But one big disadvantage: lots of horny deer bucking and prancing around the roadways!

Over the years, our HellBuellies Thrills in the Hills has lost a bit of steam, but a select few are keeping the flame alive……more over, lots of our buddies are riding other bikes now including dual sports! So, we had a “Dirty Thrills!”

Yet, one HellBuellie brought down his EBR 1190, so we got to drool all over that bike!

So, I got wind of a “Brackettville dual sport ride” that transpired about 4-5 years ago….and managed to find the tracks online. I really thought Leakey had little accessible dirt, mainly Kent Creek Rd. But this track to Brackettville looked great! More over, out of curiosity I drew up a track that goes out of Garner St Park, and follows Ranch Rd 1051. Well, I’m not optimistic that RR 1051 is REALLY public, but wanted to give it a shot.

Kosmic and I haul our DS bikes out to Camp Live Oak to meet up with our other HellBuellies that got bit by the DS bug. One of ours, Pat with the EBR 1190 just got his KLR and was going to taste dirt for the very first time!

Set up for some riding at Camp Live Oak!

Leakey_thrills_2014_015_zps82ca2e92.jpg

One of our HellBuellies went Italian! OMG!

Leakey_thrills_2014_014_zpsc2253b45.jpg

Retro Buell Banner, with a 2000 XI, my first Buell!

Leakey_thrills_2014_016_zpsb6cc5767.jpg

The newest of Buell…

1622714_734627983286769_6472578861540869871_n_zps53ac1015.jpg

The oldest of Buell…

10678703_994621990564202_4002742131092785150_n_zps06a72ed8.jpg

So this ride was going to start with the upper “Brackettville DS” track, and if we had time, planned to explore the new lower track, Ranch Road 1051 that comes out of Garner St park.

Screenshot2014-10-30at100756PM_zps169af0d1.png

Weather was perfect, sunny and cool! Heading out on the 3 Sisters to get dirty!

KevPatPatPave_zps06dedf58.jpg

KevPave_zpse42e650d.jpg

His FIRST time dual sporting, Pat decides to live large and cross a double yellow….

PatPave_zps3728b38c.jpg

Out of Camp Wood we find ourselves on some sweet dirt!

Group_zps01ce7560.jpg

Groupa_zpscb649b3f.jpg

Leakey_thrills_2014_012_zps4d61aa57.jpg

Leakey_thrills_2014_013_zps6a539bab.jpg

Soon enough we come on to awesome water crossings….hard to tell how deep. I thought maybe one foot, but closer to 2.5 feet. But tons of fun because they were not slippery. One bath in here would make for a freezing wet cold day! Looks like these crossings were on CR 350.

CreekCross_zps54e2ac31.jpg

Who is going to be the first victim?

Leakey_thrills_2014_006_zps7edf1cce.jpg

Alright I take one for the team…..

Leakey_thrills_2014_007_zps8c4a65a7.jpg

Leakey_thrills_2014_008_zpsa5e0b51f.jpg

The fun does not stop!

watercross1_zps84380dfc.jpg

Leakey_thrills_2014_009_zps3345553d.jpg

watercross2_zpsd4d3c55e.jpg

First time to get his ROAD boots soaked!

watercross3_zps42d2de3c.jpg

watercross4_zps35067176.jpg

We hit about 4-5 of these great water crossings….but I bet we were lucky because depending on rains, they could have easily been impassable.

watercross5_zps8328e2aa.jpg

Leakey_thrills_2014_005_zpsf9fe5f34.jpg

More fantastic gravel, that winds around the cliff sides and canyons!

PaHill_zps491f1301.jpg

DoubleTrack_zpsc9bf61bb.jpg

DoubleTracka_zps3dc6455e.jpg

Then….UH OH! Ride-us Interrupt-us……
Odd thing, is after many bump gates, this sign pops up…..right on the track. Hmmm….but DS riders went through here several years ago? Just past the gate we see a dual track road that goes off to the side….so maybe that is it? We nudge just past the gate far enough to confirm, NOPE that side road is not on the track.

PrivateSign_zps85230814.jpg

Nervous that we may be on a private road, I quickly turn us around and get us on the “good” side of the sign. Good thing…cause a surly hunter appears on a 4X4 to point out that the sign says “private”.

“You all see that sign? Says private. Can’t you read?”

DS Rider: “Er, we don’t always trust every sign we see,,,,”

“Well you can trust this one.”

So, here is the picture. Four dual sport riders looking for the remaining track for Cedar Creek Road. Its opening day of deer season, where hunters pay thousands to get on a lease and hunt. They REALLY don’t want some bikers to screw this up. The ranch hand hangs on to the top of the gate staring at us. He clearly wants to stay till he sees us clear off.

So, I try to ease the tensions and small talk a bit.

DS Rider: “So, uh, those creek crossings we did a ways back were great….is the water usually that high?”

“Yeah, it can get that way”

DS Rider: “Wow we are really enjoying it, say is there a work around, or different road we can take”

So, ranch hand says…”Yep, back track to the white house with the pink on it….that’s Cedar Creek N, will take you out to the Rockwall airport”

DS Rider: "Hey thanks! Have great day!”

The ranch hand was more cool at that point, he actually said "Have a great day" So, heck at least that run in did not go sour!

Since then, I emailed the ranch asking what happened to Cedar Creek Road, and sent them a GPS screen shot of the fence!

So we are trying to figure out what happened? In the past DS riders took Cedar Creek South all the way to Brackettville….but now it looks like it’s blocked off. Cedar Creek Rd, merges up with Panadam Ranch Road road then splits off….so looks like access to Cedar Creek Rd S is blocked now? SUCKS!!
Here are a couple of shots showing the gate….

be7e0e10-5d2f-432f-8858-b33c49ab3c51_zps142db439.png

Leakey_thrills_2014_018_zps605a24db.jpg

So we take off to find the north route out, and looking for the white house with pink on it…Here we go, we spot it!

XRR_zps7e46df1b.jpg

Its all good because the north route that connects us to 55 again is awesome! Rolling, wide open graded gravel, with dips, to keep it interesting. My XR650R just starts to work good at 80 MPH, where I back it off….spooked a couple of deer right in front of me!

277534a6-993f-442c-b7d7-edd871cdb8a4_zpsbc7a7681.png

GroupBackhill_zpsb8dd9982.jpg

Perfect end to the night is grilling a steak, making some guacamole, drinking some beers, and hanging by the campfire!

Overall, we had a fantastic time. I thought Leakey had little dirt to ride, but we did discover some fine dirt roads. The weather was cool, crisp and sunny,,,,the traction fantastic, and the water crossings challenging enough. Makes me want to go back and explore some more, esp Ranch Road 1051....Hmmmmm

Leakey_thrills_2014_017_zps5ee36969.jpg

Campfire_zpsffd88e63.jpg

Good ride. Thanks for the report, I'll be waiting to here about 1051 next time.

Looks like fun! Can you post a .gpx track?

Here is a link where I got the Bracketville route.....but forwarn that it does not appear to go all the way through. You can back track up Cedar Creek Rd north, turn at the white/pink house!

http://www.motowhere.com/maps/route/Nueces-Canyon-Jan-30-option-2

The rest of the tracks are still "under development" and not tested, so I think it would not be a good idea to share them at this point. I hope to get back there soon!

Back