• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2436 miles in 4 days: To Colorado and back

Reaction score
This past long weekend, a friend and I finally set to go to Colorado and back. We got ready for some cold riding, kissed the wives and kids goodbye and hit the road at around 2:30 AM on Friday, 5/22. We were going to meet two other guys who rode from Austin, TX on Day 2. I rode my Wee-Strom and my buddy was on his 750 Honda Shadow. (We both have aftermarket seats in case you are wondering LOL.)

Here was the route we ended up taking, as precise as feasible:

Day 1 - DFW to Durango, CO
Day 2 - Durango to Grand Lake, CO
Day 3 - Grand Lake to Pueblo, CO (route is an approximation in places)
Day 4 - Pueblo to DFW

The trip started uneventfully enough, but right around Vernon, we hit the incoming storm. After closing all the hatches, we rode through it and were finally in a somewhat dry situation by Amarillo, where we hit the breakfast. Cracker Barrel coffee really tasted good that morning!

Onward west to Tucumcari, NM, where we left the slab behind for the time being. Right around half way to Las Vegas NM, we stopped to take some layers off and I snapped this:

2015_05_22_11_50_25_HDR.jpg

Soon, we started climbing higher and the road started getting more interesting:

WP_20150522_12_40_41_Pro.jpg

The ride to Santa Fe was relatively uneventful, but the ground changed into quite desert-y one, as can be seen here (taken while getting gas):

WP_20150522_15_05_35_Pro.jpg

Riding was getting better and better as we were getting close to Colorado:

2015_05_22_16_41_28_HDR.jpg

Finally going north toward Colorado things started to get really good, with lots of promising things on the horizon. This is just a few curves away from border to Colorado:

2015_05_22_17_35_43_HDR.jpg

By the time we made it to Durango, we had to deal with more rain. We stopped in the town for dinner and then headed north to Lodge at Tammarron where we were going to stop for the night. The signs for that place were smaller than some writing on prescription bottles so it was a bit hard to find but we made it eventually. Oh yeah, that is where we found that just as we were riding in, the rain that was falling on us dumped 3 inches of snow in the north pass toward Silverton, and we were suddenly uncertain if we will be able to go where we wanted to. But we hit the hay and decided that we'll figure it out in the morning. About 900 miles for the day!

We had a pretty early start next day as the road north was supposed to be closed from 8:30AM on for a bicycle race anyway. We started heading north and made it past the road blockade with about 10 minutes to spare. Roads were a bit wet but after the pass, we did start hitting patches of sleet on the road, which gives you that uncertain feeling when riding, heh.

A few snaps along the way:

WP_20150523_08_37_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20150523_09_29_11_Pro.jpg

2015_05_23_09_31_40_HDR.jpg

And oh yeah - it was pretty cold!!

We found Silverton too busy for our taste and headed north. Quick breakfast in Ouray... this place on the right corner has some great egg and bacon burritos! And great coffee!

WP_20150523_10_39_25_Pro.jpg

Heading north still, we made it to 92 and snaked up the mountain. Took a few pictures of the canyon quickly:

2015_05_23_12_27_58_HDR.jpg

2015_05_23_12_30_59_HDR.jpg

Going north is where we encountered being snowed on for the first time while riding. As it turned out, this was going to be a pattern.

Before getting gas in Crawford, took a few more photos:

2015_05_23_13_25_56_HDR.jpg

WP_20150523_13_26_12_Pro.jpg

By the time we hit Carbondale, the skies were heavy with rain and it started unloading pretty good on us. As we headed to 70 and then east, we got pounded by rain pretty good. Luckily it did let up a bit as we connected to 131 in Walcott and it is great that it did as this is a GREAT road! Taking 134 toward Kremmling was also awesome, alas we started getting snow again, heh. By the time we made it to Kremmling we were cold again and it started dumping rain yet again. Our eventual destination was Grand Lake where we were going to meet up with some buddies, but man it started snowing hard as we were getting closer! I was using the squeegee that I have on my glove every few seconds to wipe off the snow off my shield. We eventually made it to the house on the lake and holed up for the night, wondering how we'll get out of there tomorrow?

The morning turned out to be quite beautiful:

WP_20150524_07_45_18_Pro.jpg

Got the frozen snow off the bike and it started right up:

WP_20150524_07_47_19_Pro.jpg

One breakfast later, we were lead out on various roads by one of our friends who used to live in CO. A few snaps near Lyons:

2015_05_24_11_35_11_HDR.jpg

WP_20150524_11_35_53_Pro.jpg

We were rained on every so often, yeah... but more awesome riding!

2015_05_24_13_40_44_HDR.jpg

The final photo was taken on a small road above Loveland where our friend took us around the various smaller places that he knows:

WP_20150524_16_06_12_Pro.jpg

The rest of the ride was relatively uneventful in comparison. Some good riding still but slabbing mostly. I have to say, always when I go back from 287 riding home, the section between Wichita Falls and DFW seems like it is taking FOREVER!!

Great times, though, but quite far to go in 4 days!

Going home is always the hard part. Nice ride, that's about what I've had planned but things keep stopping me from getting it done. Minimal time taken off and still get to ride in one of the most beautiful states within reach.

Curious, what time was kickstands up on your way out?

i think he said 0230. eeek!

did the two riders from austin meet up with yall as planned?

thanks for sharing your ride with us.

:sun:

Going there I left my house at 2:30am. We really wanted to make it to Durango during daytime and not risk chasing deer on unfamiliar roads. Shadow has a relatively low range so we made a lot of stops but honestly it was a good thing too...

Going back it was sidestands up at 4am. We made it home around 7pm, but we took it easy from Amarillo on as we were chasing a storm that was coming in toward DFW. Crazy winds in places!

Yeah we met up with our friends at Grand Lake as planned. My SENA BT headset was awesome for coordination etc as we were riding... when there was coverage lol.

I plan to add a list of best roads on the trip as per my humble opinion...

Lovely pictures. Thanks.
Makes me think of the time I bought a new Harley an went from Fort Worth to Key West an back in 3 day to run in the bike.

Colorado is beautiful, Durango and Ouray are worth an overnight all by themselves. Creede and Lake City too.
That's 609 miles a day with KSU on day one @ 0230. :eek2:

450 mile days wear me out up there, I would need drugs to keep up.
Nice pix.

You covered enough miles in 4 days that I do in 10 days. Great pics and thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
i think he said 0230. eeek!

Yep, I missed that. I've done that drive in the 4 wheeled vehicles many times so I was doing the math in my head trying to figure out how he arrived so early. :mrgreen:

Good stuff, thanks for sharing the pictures. Makes me want to get back up there myself, but without all the white stuff.

I love the photos. What camera and filter do you use?

Sorry for the wait... all of the photos here were taken with my phone, Lumia Icon. No filters, but I did use the HDR Photo Camera app for some, which is what you see at times, I think.

While I took some of photos in 16 Megapixel mode (and a few in DNG / raw) - I ended up not using any of that as even the lowly 5 Megapixel versions were just fine for me and I did not retouch anything at all. So all of this is straight out of the phone (I did resize it for posting here).

Super! :clap: The Million Dollar highway is next on my list. Thanks for driving me crazy. :trust:

Yeah, the Lumia takes great pictures. :clap:

Loved the Ride Rpt. Great Pics!

And, my hat is off to you for doing all that in 4 days! wow! :clap:

Back