• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Arizona revisited 2014 - The better late than never ride report

Day Four: continued

:tab With my mind made up to head for Flagstaff and try to get my bike fixed, all that is left is to decide how/where we will meetup tomorrow. We spend a few minutes looking over the maps and make a decision. The plan is for me to be at the dealership when they open and then ideally meet up with Roger and Casey back on the route sometime around noon. Plans made, we part ways and I start up Hwy 89 out of town, a really nice ride!

Looking down on the switchbacks that climb up out of the box canyon
IMG_9500.jpg

That guard rail might stop a car, but a biker would go right over it ;-)
IMG_9501.jpg

:tab The run up to Flagstaff is not long and I am soon rolling into town. I stop at a gas station to figure out what I need to do. I've soon got me a room at a really NICE hotel next to a steak house :eat: After getting checked in I clean up and head for dinner. Afterward, I spend the better part of the evening out on a very nice patio off the main lobby, enjoying the cool dry air. I send a few pics from the phone to Casey and he shoots back a few of their incredibly cool camp site, then it is off to my room and a really comfy bed... :sleep:

Day Five

:tab Come morning, it is tough to drag myself out of my warm soft bed at the horrendous hour of 9:00am... But If I delay, I won't get to the bike shop by the time they open and I want to be first in line if possible to get the bike fixed. After a nice hot shower I head downstairs to check out the free breakfast. It is actually a nice full breakfast! And if I were a big morning breakfast person that would be great, but I eat light in the mornings. So after grabbing some scrambled eggs and bacon, I load up my gear and set out to find the dealership.

:tab I found the address for the dealership last night. I plugged it into the GPS and figured it would be easy to find. Well, I drove right past it because I was expecting to see lots of bikes out front. Silly me... :doh:

You can see where the big $$ is here!
IMG_9502.jpg

:tab The inside of the dealership was much like the outside. There are all manner of ATVs, side by sides, and personal watercraft! But they actually have a nice selection of bikes inside as well, not too mention a nice selection of riding gear. Anyway, I get on over to the service counter and explain my problem. One of the guys comes outside, grabs my bike, wheels it around back and says they will holler at me shortly :dude: About 40 minutes later they are done. The total bill is under $100 and I am ready to go. They even made sure I was good on oil. :dude: What a great experience compared to some not so great dealer experiences I have had in the past on other trips! A big thumbs up to Northland Motorsports in Flagstaff :thumb:

:tab With the quick repair, it is barely 11:00am and I am ready to head out of town. I head West a short way on I-40 and then cut South near Rogers Lake and pick up FR 231. This should run all the way down to where the guys will be waiting for me.

Starts out nice and fun, so I have to remind myself I am riding alone and don't need to be taking chances...
IMG_9503.jpg

No... this was NOT a close call... I have no idea how/why I got this shot :lol2:
IMG_9504.jpg

The soft dirt road gives way to a HARD and ROCKY road!!
IMG_9505.jpg

With the bike loaded down, the suspension is working hard to absorb this stuff!
IMG_9506.jpg

Yeah... crashing here would really SUCK! :eek2:
IMG_9507.jpg

It's always the fine print that matters :lol2:

Finally through the rocks and back to some nice dirt... and roots...
IMG_9509.jpg

:tab As I get close to the designated meeting spot, the maps starts to show numerous roads with the 231 label: 231A, 231B, 231J, 231M, and more... I make a few wrong turns here and there, all of which are actually quite fun, and then eventually I motor around a corner to see Roger and Casey waiting in the shade. Apparently, they have not been here long, something about late start, camp fires, tire issues, blah blah blah... Anyway, we are still right on schedule for the route and should be fine to make our destination for the day somewhere near Jerome.

:tab Our goal now is to get over to a road that shows as FR 538 or Jerome Rd on my maps. This runs somewhat South in the direction of Jerome, but most of the maps I have show it NOT going all the way through. My old Topo maps, circa 1999 or so, do show it going through. Casey mentions something about one of his maps showing it go all the way. It will mean some serious backtracking and detouring if it doesn't go through!

:tab I take point, for no particular reason, and off we go. This turns into a really fun ride. The road generally follows a big power line right of way and winds back and forth along the terrain. There are lots of elevation changes and fun corners. It is a bit rough in places, rutted and rocky with the occasional downed tree branch. I settle into a nice pace and just motor along for a while, enjoying the beautiful scenery. It is a really nice day, but it is WINDY!! There are high wind warnings for today and I can see why. The tree branches are really whipping around and the wind is howling when we stop for breaks.

:tab After a pretty good stretch of riding, I come around a sharp rocky corner to a fairly steep descent that ends with a bright yellow gate.

Rut Roh... Not that I would mind backtracking the stuff we just did... but...
IMG_9510.jpg

Casey wanders down for a closer look
IMG_9511.jpg

The view back toward the sharp corner
IMG_9512.jpg

:tab So it turns out that according to the signs the road is actually open to two wheeled traffic!! There is a gap there at the end of the gate over to that single post, just wide enough to get through. We press on, not really sure what awaits us but thinking there must be a good reason why the road is closed to four wheel traffic... :ponder:

:tab It does not take long for this road to start getting really interesting and challenging! It has everything. There are sections with nasty rocks. It is narrow and winding in places. It has steep climbs and descents. It even has some soft sandy rutted up sections. Sometimes it has all that at once. Then there is the wind I mentioned, which is now literally roaring up the canyon to the ridge we are riding.

One of the easier sections of the road
IMG_9513.jpg

Gotta keep your momentum going here!
IMG_9514.jpg

IMG_9515.jpg

Casey takes off after Roger
IMG_9516.jpg

A flat section... just after that terrifying descent you see in the background...
IMG_9517.jpg

:tab Some of the descents on this road are quite hair raising and probably not real good for the seat cover of the bike. I wrote a short version of the popular Disney song Let It Go for this and posted it in Casey's report. I'll share it here as well since it sums up my feelings about this road and that one descent in particular. (sing it!)

Let it roll, let it roll
Can't hold it back anymore
Let it roll, let it roll
I'm freaked down to my core!

I don't care
What they're going to say
Let the bike rage on,
The rocks never bothered me anyway!

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all!

It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me I'm free!

Let it roll, let it roll
I am one with the wind and sky
Let it roll, let it roll
You'll never see me cry!

:tab I found myself praying... out loud... a LOT on this particular road. It is a real exercise in stamping down those primal fears that rise to the fore, screaming at you that you are going to fast, that you are out of control, that you are about to die an ugly and painful death, and on and on... I just keep telling myself over and over that the bike is more than capable of doing this so long as I don't prevent it from happening in a moment of blind panic.

IMG_9517_pano.jpg

IMG_9518_pano.jpg

IMG_9519.jpg

You can really hear the wind here...

And then comes another long steep climb...
IMG_9521.jpg

Casey leads, followed by Roger
IMG_9523.jpg

:tab I hug the inside line on these climbs. There are enough big rocks embedded in the road, waiting to bounce me off the road, that I don't want to be anywhere near the exposed edge of the road. The really steep sections make me truly appreciate the low end grunt of my 530 and its ability to just keep on chugging as I feed in more gas. I just hug the tank with my knees and keep leaning forward as the rear skips all around, kicking out loose rocks and dirt. And just when you think there can't be any more climbs...

The last straight section gets REAL steep...
IMG_9526.jpg

:tab There's nothing worse than seeing the other guys make it through or over something, because then its YOUR turn! :-P I take off after I see Casey crest the top of the hill. It starts out not too bad, but as soon as I reach that first left curve, it starts getting seriously steep and there are some nice rough spots. What rain they get out here has done a good job of eroding the road. I chug my way up and join the others.

:tab Now the road flattens out for a bit as it winds back and forth along the top of a ridge. It has become more like two sandy ruts that run along each other with scattered rocks in each track. I notice that there are what appear to be relatively fresh mountain bike tracks, as in pedal powered bikes... It is at this moment that I relish in my total potatoness and enjoy the fact that I have a gas powered motor between my legs. My hat is off to those other kind of people though... :brainsnap But the flat stuff does not last long and we soon arrive at something which I have been eye balling on the map for some time now... a serious set of STEEP switchbacks that gets us down off the ridge QUICKLY!

Remember... steeper than it looks!! :-P
IMG_9527.jpg

Roger coming down to the start of the first switchback
IMG_9528.jpg

LOTS of nice loose rocks to slide in...
IMG_9529.jpg

And over he goes...
IMG_9530.jpg

This gives you a decent idea of how steep and tight it is, about like the top of Black Bear pass in Colorado
IMG_9532.jpg

Here's Casey sliding around the corner...

Roger, about 2 or 3 switchbacks lower than me
IMG_9533.jpg

IMG_9534.jpg

You won't ever catch me riding a pedal bike on this... :whatever:
IMG_9535.jpg

:tab After what seems like an eternity of sliding and arm pump, I finally reach the straight section down near the bottom and catch up with Roger and Casey. We're all looking at each other with that wild eyed, "Did we really just do that!?" look on our faces. According to my topo map, we just dropped over 1000 feet in about 3/4 mile!

:tab We're still out in the middle of nowhere and have miles to go. So we set off across what looks like flat land, but looks can be deceiving! The road takes on a roller coaster feel, rising and falling, winding back and forth over the undulating terrain. One moment it is smooth dirt and the next it is back to rocky and rough. It pays to keep the speed sane because there are a lot of quick direction changes and other unexpected surprises around corners. It is great fun!

The wind is still cranking. Watch this vid and turn up the volume. This is actually how it sounds in the helmet!!

The only other gate along the way...
IMG_9537.jpg

Nice deep wash
IMG_9538.jpg

Casey climbing out
IMG_9539.jpg

Lots of big rocks on which to target fixate if you aren't careful!
IMG_9540.jpg

IMG_9541.jpg

IMG_9542.jpg

IMG_9543.jpg

IMG_9544.jpg

Despite the rocky terrain, the road is actually red dirt with rocks in it
IMG_9545.jpg

IMG_9546.jpg

IMG_9547.jpg

As we continue Southward, the terrain gives way to more gently rolling hills and maintained gravel roads
IMG_9549.jpg

We eventually reach the Verde River and the town of Clarkdale
IMG_9550.jpg

Verde River
IMG_9551.jpg

Abandoned power plant :shrug:
IMG_9552.jpg

Train car service building
IMG_9553.jpg

:tab We stop in Clarkdale to get gas and take a break. At this point, Casey is telling us about a cool old hotel somewhere in Jerome. That is our destination for the day and it just down Hwy 89 a ways. So after a short rest, we head out again.

And that would be the hotel high and center
IMG_9554.jpg

The historic mining town of Jerome, you can see the open pit copper mine far right
IMG_9554_pano.jpg

I don't think there is currently any large scale mining in the area
IMG_9556.jpg

IMG_9557.jpg

Technological wonder of its day...
IMG_9558.jpg

IMG_9559.jpg

IMG_9560.jpg

:tab We wander our way through town until we reach the hotel high above all else. Casey swears this place is reasonably priced. In my experience, altitude always equals higher price, for homes or anything else... Still, we might as well check into it.

:tab I head inside to inquire about rates. It is soon readily apparent that this place is NOT reasonable, at least not by my standards. They want over $200/night for their cheapest rooms!! Casey is tighter than me by far when it comes to hotel room costs, so it takes all of about a nanosecond to convince him we should stay somewhere else once he believes me.

Meanwhile, there is a cool old car in the parking lot
IMG_9561.jpg

IMG_9562.jpg

IMG_9563.jpg

IMG_9564.jpg

IMG_9565.jpg

The front of the hotel - supposedly haunted... :roll:
IMG_9566.jpg

:tab Well, by now it is late in the day and we are getting hungry. Casey knows a place outside town where we can go camp. So dinner is next on the priority list. We passed a place back down the hill when we were coming up to the hotel, so we decide to backtrack and check it out.

I think this place is haunted too... In fact, the whole place is a Ghost town, even though almost 500 people live here :lol2: Whatever, the food is good.
IMG_9567.jpg

:tab During dinner Casey figures out where we will be staying for the night and a plan for tomorrow's riding. We're gonna head for a camp site outside of town. Come morning, we'll leave the tents and a good portion of the luggage at the camp site and make a fun loop without all the extra weight on the bikes. Then we'll pack up and do the second half of the day over to Crown King and eventually back to Phoenix to end the trip. Dang... this week has gone fast! :-?

:tab The ride out of town is a LOT of fun. 89 is real twisty here and I let the 530 stretch its legs a bit :trust: It really is a fun bike on the paved twisties, even carrying loads of luggage and running on full knobbies. The road climbs up a winding canyon almost 1000 feet in elevation by the time we reach the top. Here, we cut off on to a side road that wanders off into the woods. I believe it is FR 104.

Looking back West toward Hwy 89
IMG_9568.jpg

:tab We turn South on FR 413 and there are camping spots all along the road. Casey pulls into a spot that he likes and declares this is it. I let him know I am heading back the highway where I spotted some decent looking "facilities" and that I will be back shortly. With that I zoom away. My business taken care off, I run back out FR 104.

Cool stratification along 104
IMG_9569.jpg

:tab Upon my return, Casey and Roger are nowhere to be seen... :ponder: Since I did not pass them on my way back, I figure they have moved on down the road. Sure enough, about another half mile or so further down I find them setting up camp in a spot closer to where the road starts to descend the mountain.

The FIRST thing Roger always does is unpack the chair so he can take off the boots!
IMG_9570.jpg

I guess this is a popular spot
IMG_9571.jpg

IMG_9572.jpg

IMG_9572_pano.jpg

and I'm done...
IMG_9574.jpg

IMG_9575.jpg

IMG_9578.jpg

My 3 man tent. I like having space inside the tent for my stuff
IMG_9579.jpg

:tab The wind has never let up since this morning. If anything, it seems even more intense now. The trees all around us are whipping back and forth. The sound of the wind howling brings back memories of hurricanes from living on the Gulf Coast. It just never lets up. Fortunately, down among the trees it is not too bad so the tents are not getting beaten by it. We are up on an exposed ridge though and it howls on into the night.

IMG_9580.jpg

IMG_9581.jpg

:tab Once it gets dark, Casey and I wander down the road a bit. The view off to the Southwest is fantastic. Prescott is in the distance, its lights spread across the desert floor below. We sit on some rocks, watching the clouds rip across the sky and just visit for a bit. It is nice to just be out in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do but hang out and sit. It's been a long day of riding though and I am starting to get tired. We hike back to the camp and call it a night, eager to see what tomorrow will bring. :sleep:

Last edited:
:tab We wander our way through town until we reach the hotel high above all else. Casey swears this place is reasonably priced. In my experience, altitude always equals higher price, for homes or anything else... Still, we might as well check into it.

:tab I head inside to inquire about rates. It is soon readily apparent that this place is NOT reasonable, at least not by my standards. They want over $200/night for their cheapest rooms!! Casey is tighter than me by far when it comes to hotel room costs, so it takes all of about a nanosecond to convince him we should stay somewhere else once he believes me.
Did I tell you that when we got back I checked their website, and they still showed around $100? It was slightly higher than before, but no where near $200... I think the guy adjusted the rate according to the appearance of the filthy dirt biker inquiring... Kinda wishing I had thought to reserve a room online before walking in... Then again, the camp/riding light loop thing worked out really well too, which we wouldn't have been able to do had we stayed in Jerome.

Last edited:
Day Six:

:tab Morning arrives and the wind has died down considerably. No longer is it roaring through the trees. Our plan is to travel light for the first half of the day, then loop back to the campsite to gather the rest of our gear and make our way Southwest toward Senator Highway, Crown King, and eventually back to Phoenix for the end of the trip. It will be a long day of riding.

Another beautiful morning!
IMG_9583.jpg

IMG_9583_pano.jpg

:tab I leave my tent, sleeping bag, and other non essentials at the campsite, packing only my tools and spare tubes. We make the fun run back into town on 89, which is a great way to get the blood pumping, and look for the start of a road we are not 100% sure exists. In town we find the road leading out of town to the start of the one we want, but there is a hand made sign that claims our GPS is wrong!! This is a DEAD END street!

:tab Whatever... :roll:

:tab The GPS is not wrong and it is not a dead end. It is narrow and winding, following the steep hillside and eventually climbing around the side of the mountain once past the remaining homes. It gets narrower and rocky.

The start of a LONG climb...
IMG_9585.jpg

Casey takes point... and I don't see him again for a while
IMG_9586.jpg

Followed by Roger
IMG_9587.jpg

The road starts out not too bad and... Oh Look!! A pretty flower!!
IMG_9588.jpg

But it just keeps going, and going, up and up...
IMG_9589.jpg

:tab The road is not really what I would call a hard road. In fact, if this were the first day of the trip, it would probably seem quite easy. However, this is the last day of the trip... Rocks I might normally ignore seem bigger now. My reaction time is not as fast. I am sore, stiff, and tired from only getting one good night of sleep all week. Wahhh wahhh wahhh... It is still fun! :mrgreen:

IMG_9590.jpg

Of course, even if all the above weren't true... it is still pretty steep, narrow and rocky! And did I mention it just keeps going and going and going...?
IMG_9591.jpg

IMG_9592.jpg

This is just a small part of the never ending climb
IMG_9593_pano.jpg

:tab I stop and take a break for a bit, just to take in the scenery... and well... to catch my freaking breath!! At one point, Roger backtracks to make sure I am still coming. All is well and we keep going. I eventually catch and pass Casey when he stops to take a few pics and wait to see if we are still alive. After one particular fun section, I stop to take more pics.

IMG_9598.jpg

IMG_9599.jpg

IMG_9600.jpg

No idea what this might have been at one time, but now it is used for camping I guess
IMG_9601.jpg

IMG_9602.jpg

IMG_9603.jpg

Not as rocky now and it is wet. There are numerous springs on this mountain.
IMG_9604.jpg

Still some rocks, but now we have LOTS of these pink flowers along the road
IMG_9605.jpg

:tab After a short break, we keep going. Now the road is not quite as steep and instead is winding its way around a huge wash/valley, but still climbing until it rounds the far high side of the wash and runs Southeast along the side of the mountain. We've climbed over a thousand feet in elevation, but now the road levels out a bit.

Looking back into the wash, the line is part of the climb
IMG_9606.jpg

IMG_9606_pano.jpg

Roger making the last bit of the climb to the far side of the wash
IMG_9610.jpg

Close up of the pink flowers. Sweet smelling and everywhere!
IMG_9611.jpg

IMG_9612.jpg

IMG_9613.jpg

IMG_9614.jpg

IMG_9615.jpg

:tab Once the road levels out, it just winds in and out of the side of the mountain. It is smooth and well maintained once we pass an intersection with another road that drops down into Cottonwood below. From here, it continues South and then loops back West and North to hit the road where we camped.

IMG_9616.jpg

IMG_9617.jpg

We soon roll into camp and set to packing up all our gear before starting the second half of the day. For a road that doesn't exist, it sure was fun!!

[to be continued]

Last edited:
Timing couldn't be better. I am heading to Phoenix on an "area / location / house" hunting trip. Relocating next Summer. Your ride report just removed 50% of my hesitation about what to expect in Tonto and the areas I am mainly interested in. Who should I take out to dinner in AZ to talk dual sporting?

Timing couldn't be better. I am heading to Phoenix on an "area / location / house" hunting trip. Relocating next Summer. Your ride report just removed 50% of my hesitation about what to expect in Tonto and the areas I am mainly interested in. Who should I take out to dinner in AZ to talk dual sporting?
Look up EsconDeasy (Dan Poole) and Nightstalker (Terry Zechman) on Advrider.com. Dan was one of my riding buddies back in the day and he and Terry are good friends. Terry leads a lot of rides in the Phoenix and surrounding areas. They both have big and small bikes and do hard and easy rides, so there's something for everyone.

[and now... the conclusion to our show...]

Day Six: continued

:tab After loading the bikes and downing a snack, we start the second half of our day. We backtrack down the mountain to the Southeast, picking up FR 132 and running it down to Cherry.

A typical view on the way to Cherry
IMG_9618.jpg

We drop down into a sandy valley before reaching Cherry
IMG_9619.jpg

IMG_9620.jpg

IMG_9621.jpg

IMG_9622.jpg

:tab There is wisdom in paying attention to warning signs... and I am not talking about the ones posted on the side of the road. I am talking about the ones you experience when you almost lose the front end... more than once... on roads where you might not normally have that issue. Then there are the little adrenaline spikes that occur because your reaction times are not what they should be. These are all things that start occurring as the cumulative fatigue of a week of riding starts take hold. I had a few of these warnings on the nice wide gravel as we were dropping down into the sandy valley. I normally love sand, but I got another warning in the corner where I stopped to take the above pictures. So... time to kick back and relax, maybe slow down...

IMG_9623.jpg

I like the terrain here, very cool looking with the big rocks everywhere
IMG_9624.jpg

If only I were a trials bike rider :-P
IMG_9625.jpg

IMG_9626.jpg

The Cherry fire department
IMG_9627.jpg

IMG_9628.jpg

IMG_9629.jpg

IMG_9630.jpg

And the local cemetery, which shares the driveway with the fire department
IMG_9631.jpg

:tab We leave Cherry and head mostly South and West on Cherry Creek Rd and Old Cherry Road until we reach Hwy 169. I really like this stretch of road. It has a few cool camping spots and there is also a place that looks like some kind of easy beginner enduro track just along the edge of the road. I think to myself how cool it would be to spend a weekend camping here with the kids, them getting to ride their bikes on the track/trails. I know Daniel would be all over it!! As we drop in elevation the woods give way to desert terrain more typical of what people might expect for Arizona.

IMG_9632.jpg

IMG_9633.jpg

:tab Right as we reach the highway, something off to my right catches my eye. It is a dirtbike flying through the air! As I get closer I realize that there are two riders using custom built ramps to practice their high flying extreme antics. So I whip around into the driveway to get a better look and maybe visit with them for a few minutes. One of the riders is Taylor. He apparently does this in competitions.

His work vehicle
IMG_9645.jpg

:tab I don't know that I got the name of the second rider. The young lady spectating seems more interested in Taylor :trust: She does inform me that the other rider JUST got his arm out of a cast today and so he's trying to get back into the swing of things. He's doing wheelies and easy jumps, no real tricks to speak of at the moment. After a minute or two of talking to her, an adult comes out of the mobile home wanting to know who I am and what I want. After he realizes I am just another rider checking out the fun, he relaxes. I watch a few more jumps, say good bye and head back down to the road where the others are waiting for me.

:tab We run West a short way to Dewey at Hwy 69 and then turn South. Somewhere along the way around Dewey/Humboldt we stop for lunch at a little cafe. The food is good and the air conditioning feels great. After eating, we top off the bikes and camel baks, then get back on the road. We run down 69 a bit further to the small town of Mayer and then cut West on Mayer-Bolada Road. About this time, I feel like I am getting a second wind and I start to really enjoy this road, settling into a nice fun pace.

IMG_9646.jpg

IMG_9648.jpg

IMG_9650.jpg

IMG_9651.jpg

:tab We soon dead end into the Senator Highway. This is a winding dirt road that runs from Prescott down to Crown King. Last time, we started it in Prescott. This time, we are basically bisecting it. It really is a great road, but it is essentially a non stop back and forth weave of tight corners. Occasionally, it has a few straighter sections with more elevation changes, which I really like, but there is just a LOT of the hard packed gravel in tight corners.

Typical of the views on Senator Highway
IMG_9653.jpg

IMG_9656_pano.jpg

IMG_9659.jpg

:tab Fatigue is a funny thing. One minute, I am cruising along, having a blast and feeling great. Then, just like a switch has been flipped, I am struggling just to stay on my bike. My mojo has fled the scene. I try to keep running my normal pace so as to not throw off my timing. Too often I have slowed down to "be safe" only to get tossed on my butt because that threw off my normal rhythm. Still... I am thinking now that I am basically playing Russian Roulette with these sharp corners. No matter what speed I take them, I feel like I am sliding out of control and about to lose the front end. My concentration is shot. All I wanna do now is just get to the highway and put this trip in the books...

and then it happens...
IMG_9660.jpg

:tab I don't know for sure if the front end tucked or the back end just slid out. Either way, I am on the ground instantly and the bike spins around a bit. I hit pretty hard on my left side, but nothing feels too bad... at first. The bike is fine. The new hand guards are now nice and scratched. My gas tank is now nice and scratched. My pants, jacket and boots seem fine. My head never hit the ground. Roger helps me right the bike and get going again. As I remount, I notice that my left ankle is really starting to hurt... :huh2:

But we are still a ways from Crown King...
IMG_9660_pano.jpg

Tired and sore as I am, I still can't help but marvel at the beauty of this place
IMG_9663.jpg

IMG_9664.jpg

:tab The last few miles into Crown King are NOT fun. Now my ankle hurts bad enough that keeping it on the foot peg is uncomfortable. This is the same ankle that already has screws in it thanks to a deer in East Texas. It also got sprained pretty bad after a get off at Beg Bend a few years back. I don't know why, but my get offs all tend to be on the left side and this ankle doesn't appreciate it :doh: We finally bounce into Crown King and stop in the little "town" center. I head into the general store and grab some much needed Ibuprofen and a cold drink, then join the others outside.

Casey shows his sweet side... :huh2:
IMG_9665.jpg

IMG_9666.jpg

:tab Last time we were here, this is where we cut back East to the interstate and ended our trip. Back then, Casey really wanted to make the run down the Crown King trail, which roughly parallels the West side of the freeway. He really talked it up then and has done so since. I know how bad he wants to do this and I want to as well, but the thought of another 30 plus miles of twisting rocky dirt roads in my current condition is not a pleasant one. I vote for hitting the pavement and making the run back to Gilbert. Casey REALLY wants to finish the dirt, so we reluctantly agree to part ways. Roger will ride with me and Casey will meet us back in town this evening. He assures us he will be just fine, but I never like seeing a rider go off alone... After finishing our drinks, Roger and I head for I-17.

:tab Here's the deal though. Crown King Road over to I-17 is not a short hop, skip, and a jump. It is itself about 25 miles! It cuts back North a good bit before looping back South to the freeway. I probably should have checked the map better because I had it in my head that it was more of a direct East shot. So by the time we reach the freeway, I've already ridden a bunch of dirt and still have a lot of freeway to run before getting back to Phoenix :doh:

It's dirt, but the Crown King Road is not really technical at all.
IMG_9667.jpg

IMG_9668.jpg

IMG_9669.jpg

:tab The ride to the freeway is actually fun. The road is wide and well maintained, only have a few spots with some tight turns. Most of it is just fast sweepers. We soon reach pavement and run the last few miles to the freeway feeder road. Once on the freeway, we set the KTMs to buzzing, running about 75mph all the way back down through Phoenix. We get some curious stares from folks checking out our bikes and gear. Riding in heavy Friday evening rush hour traffic is not exactly my idea of fun, but it is certainly adventure riding!!

:tab We find our way back to Gilbert and to Jo's house. My ankle is still tender, but it is feeling better. The ibuprofen seems to have helped. We get the truck pulled around and start the process of loading our bikes. No sign of Casey yet... After everything is loaded and we are cleaned up and changed, I try contacting Casey. It seems he's made it to civilization, but still has to make the run across town to get here. There is this particular restaurant where he wants to have dinner, so we plan to meet at a Super 8 not far from Jo's house. We say our goodbyes to Jo and Desmond, then hit the road. Roger and I miss the hotel and have to turn around, but we soon find Casey waiting in the parking lot when we arrive. We get checked into a room and then walk to dinner.

:tab The place we eat is some kind of hole in the wall Chinese place. The "lobby" has about two tables in it and there is another little room off to the side with a few more. I am not expecting much, but it turns out to be fantastic! The portions are huge and the price is not. It is very good. I eat more than I probably should. The walk back to the hotel is a bit slower than the one getting here...

:tab Casey has one more place that is a must eat. This is where we took Jo and Desmond the night we arrived. He brings coolers with him so he can stock up on food to take home :lol2: Fortunately, the cooler rides in the back of the truck so we don't have to smell it all the way back to Texas!

:tab The drive back is long and boring. We push on into the wee hours to get home. As always, Central Texas is FULL of deer. We drop Casey off and continue on our way, arriving home early in the morning. I help Roger get his stuff moved over to his truck and get him on his way home. I'll leave my stuff for later. For now, I just head inside and go straight to bed. Another great trip in the books...

:tab My left shoulder kind of hurts...

After the fact

:tab So the ankle got better very quickly. The shoulder on the other hand, which did not hurt at all after the last day get off, was getting VERY painful by the time we got back home. Within a day or so, I was unable to even lift the left arm to the straight out level position. Apparently, the stress of the whole trip, not just that get off, strained the rotator cuff and it got REALLY inflamed. I did all kinds if icing, heat, stretching, and other suffering for months. This trip was late April of 2014. It wasn't until almost January of 2015 that I finally started getting full use and range of motion out of the arm. Just in time for another trip... But that is another story :trust:

Last edited:
Coincidentally, he and I both developed rotator cuff issues immediately after the trip. I think it had something to do with sleeping on my shoulder on the ground. we compared notes over the following months trying to figure out how to beat it, lol. Like Scott's, they were a problem for months; it was December before I could start using my arms for anything again, but they never fully recovered... now my left shoulder is giving me more trouble :argh:

I sold my bike a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:
Just a bump because... well, it was a freaking awesome trip! :-P

Just a bump because... well, it was a freaking awesome trip! :-P
Remember when we were driving out, talking about how it blew our minds that it had already been 7 years since the first trip? That was 5 years ago :brainsnap

Coincidentally, he and I both developed rotator cuff issues immediately after the trip. I think it had something to do with sleeping on my shoulder on the ground. we compared notes over the following months trying to figure out how to beat it, lol. Like Scott's, they were a problem for months; it was December before I could start using my arms for anything again, but they never fully recovered... now my left shoulder is giving me more trouble :argh:

I sold my bike a couple of weeks ago.
I am still dealing with my shoulders... they never really recovered, especially the right one.

I think the shoulders have become a permanent issue. I don't think the trip caused it for me, it just aggravated what was already going on. I still deal with both. It is not unusual for me to wake up in the middle of the night with both arms numb if I fall asleep on my back. I still stretch in an attempt to keep them working, but there is pretty much always some level of pain or discomfort throughout the day. Years of being a side sleeper doesn't help...

Same here. I had dealt with it before the trip, but it had been a little while, and I was feeling 100% going in; I haven't been better than 80-90% since then though, so it sure seems that I might have caused greater damage on the trip. Every night is a constant struggle to find positions that don't cause me to wake up in agony...

[Day 2, Cherry Creek Road, AKA FR203 -Casey]

Looks smooth... but looks can be deceiving and Casey is waiting to take pics... :ponder:
View attachment 231138

Just a really cool road to be riding. So glad I am here today and NOT at work!!
View attachment 231156

Roger navigating one of the "ins" and preparing to cross a small bit of water
View attachment 231157

Doesn't look like desert does it...?
View attachment 231158

I REALLY like this stretch of the road.
View attachment 231159

I regret to report that, while planning for a camping/hiking trip for my boys the week after Christmas, I discovered that the unimproved portion (north of the rocky creek crossing) of FR203/ Cherry Creek Road is being permanently closed in 2022. I made a couple more trips (for hiking) up it in 2017 and 2018, glad I got it all in. Just wish I had a 4x4 right now to take the boys through before it's closed for good.

Well that stinks for everyone else! That was a great section of the ride!

Well that stinks for everyone else! That was a great section of the ride!
It is, and there's so much to see in that area that the road gives access to; those rugged canyons are so unique and picturesque, with lots of neat creeks, springs, waterfalls, etc. And then there's the attraction that I think is the real the reason... they say it's because the road crosses the wilderness boundary a few times (it follows the boundary line), but there are lots of really cool cliff dwellings and ruins scattered throughout the canyons that it provides fairly easy access to, and I think they are trying to quietly suppress increasing traffic... which probably isn't a bad thing.

They could do what they've done in other parks and limit access to a certain number of people per day, but that would require controlling access and staffing. Instead, they choose to just shut it down. It seems like the BLM and Forest Service have forgotten what they were supposed to be about originally, which is preserving stuff and managing it so that people CAN enjoy it, not to just shut the people out for the sake of preservation only.

Back