• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

[Ride Report] SW DFW Ride 7/2

Reaction score
Well I just got back from the great trip. Man was that fun. There were thirteen of us that showed up. We met in Alvarado,Tx, ate lunch at The Koffee Kafe Restraunt in Hico,TX. I never knew there were that many twisties out there. WE also met up with some busa's that were out taking adavantage of some of the roads. Here is the image from Google Earth I imported from my GPS. IF you want let me know and I will sent you the Google Earth KML file to give a run through the trip. And those of you with Garmin GPS units I can send you the Mapsource file to import into your GPS. Cant wait to see the phontos

Details: 207 Miles for myself.
Moving time 5 Hours 17 Min.
Max Speed: asserting the 5th
07022006TWTEX.jpg

325.2 miles for me today. That was loads of fun, thanks.

This is the most miles I've ever went in one day. I'm kinda numb in a certain area...

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Southwest DFW ride, July 7-2-06

igo-wfo stopped by on his way home from said day of riding. I heard his frickin' MilleR coming and I knew he was putting his life in danger by stopping by on that gorgeous bike. Fortunately, I was able to keep Kim under control so he journeyed on home unscathed.

Sounds like y'all had some fun. We'll be joining you as soon as we can.

I ended up with around 270 but thats from the Bedford area. For some reason my bike was a little slower on the way back......:eat: must of been the additional weight. That was a pretty nice route Steve. The "pavement ends" sign was the icing on the cake.

While I didn't get the kinda mileage that everyone else did, I had just as much fun. :lol2:

A fantastic ride. I really enjoy putting the screen names, real names, faces, and bikes together. Don't take it personally if I introduce myself to you 3 or 4 times......sometimes at the same event. :doh: Hey, gettin' old is heck.

I had not been on 1238 or 1602 before but those roads have now been added to my repeat list. You would think that one of the Koffee Kup's big hamburgers and slice of apple pie would be enough.....

....but when I dropped out of the group in Glen Rose, I switched bikes and headed to Starbucks. Hey, does this First Gear Mesh jacket make me look fat?! :rofl:

I was within sight of a mocha frap when the skies opened up and the black bike saw her first rain. Nothing to do but ride on. :giveup:

mode12 said:

This is the most miles I've ever went in one day. I'm kinda numb in a certain area...
I am getting some of those padded Bicycleling shorts for the next time we go..:eek2:

haywyre said:
I am getting some of those padded Bicycleling shorts for the next time we go..:eek2:

Don't leave home without them! I always wear them on long rides. :rider:

mode12 said:

Mike definitely wins the long distance award! Nice meeting you and nice Triumph Speed Four, BTW!

I love when I don't have to check a map and I can just follow.
Nice route Steve - especially where FM916 turns into a county rd.

It was nice to meet everyone.
Had a good time and a nice lunch even if it was at the Koffe Kup ;-) I logged around 275 from Arlington.

Pictures are on the way as soon as Chuck checks his email
(hint hint).

sharkey said:
Pictures are on the way as soon as Chuck checks his email
(hint hint).
:thpt:

The Shark's photos (and his commentary):

Start of the ride @ Mcdonalds
1799.jpg

Brian, Judd, and Cevan discussing something
1800.jpg

Steve's Tiger in the foreground
1801.jpg

Pat and his FJR
1802.jpg

Head 'em up, move 'em out
1803.jpg

Judd and Mark (Burleson Mafia)
1804.jpg

Where FM916 becomes a county rd.
1805.jpg

Smoke'em if you got'em
1806.jpg

A nice view
1807.jpg

Steve n Mark discussin'
1808.jpg

Cevan's Duc
1809.jpg

Who knows what's happening here
1810.jpg

(Pat) I said hold my calls!
1811.jpg

Hmm, why is gas cheaper in Glen Rose?
1812.jpg

Judd, Mark, & Steve
1813.jpg

Mark's Aprilia
1814.jpg

A nice stable of bikes
1815.jpg

Graubart (Bill) joins us in Glen Rose
1816.jpg

We'll wait for the Hayabusas to appear
1817.jpg

9 mi. outside of Hico
1818.jpg

Pat, Cevan, & Steve strike a pose
1819.jpg

Brian and the Mike on the Speed Triple
1820.jpg

Mark n Judd return from their scout ride.
1821.jpg

Linda n Larry on the Kawi GPZ
1822.jpg

What a nice couple (Marcy & Chris)
1823.jpg

Pat decides to take another way home
1824.jpg

Sore butts forced us to stop for a break.
1825.jpg

(I made a few corrections to names, hope you don't mind)

:thumb: :clap: Steve, I want to thank you as well for a very enjoyable day.
I have lived in Johnson County most of my life and I saw some new roads for the first time today. :zen:
The little twisy-turny county roads were a blast!
See, that was a prime example of having a very entertaining ride and we hardly got over 50 in a lot of areas.
mmmm black forest pie... :eat:

We dodged the cops, the only one we saw all day (other than our tour guide that is..)was the Sommervell Co. So unit that was the first Dodge Charger cop car I've seen.
It was so cool lookin I almost wanted to chase THEM down just so I could look at it.
HEMI !!!!

Cevan, I see a waypoint maked spill on the way home??
Did everybody make it home ok?

Cevan, I see a waypoint maked spill on the way home??
Did everybody make it home ok?

Sorry that was "Split" Thats where I stayed on 67 in Glen Rose and the crew took a right on 203 to head back.

Larry was wanting to show everyone that he learned a new dance called the Macarena. He looked so happy we couldnt break his heart and tell him it went out years ago:rofl:

Yeah, I just went back and looked at it, my res on my monitor is small and I had to get squinty eyed to see it, but I see the "t" now sorry.. D'oh!

I know it's late, but if anyone wants to ride in the morning, PM me your number and we'll figure out where to meet.

Sounds like a great ride. If either that Speed Triple or Prillia had pulled up in my driveway, it would have never left!!! Beautiful bikes.

busarider1 said:
Sounds like a great ride. If either that Speed Triple or Prillia had pulled up in my driveway, it would have never left!!! Beautiful bikes.

Yep, they were nice bikes. However, it wasn't a Speed Triple, it was a Speed Four.

I think that is "on the way home split". Right at 174, it was just 3 of us. After gassing up across from Koffe Kup, I think we had 6 on the return ride. Graubart left us in Glen Rose (for Starbuck's apparently) and Pat left us in around Rio Vista.

I alwasy consider it a good ride when no one wrecks, or breaks down.

The write up and the pictures are great...i never saw you takin' them...i glad that you did...these are wonderful...i really enjoyed the trip...we gotta do it again...hope one day i can make a pie run...you folks are great...i am grateful to be a part of your group...

looks like a hoot was had by all!

I'll have to make sure i'm not in GA the next time this happens!

that route looks suspiciously like the one i'm about to take this evening...

took a nice ~160mi ride down to Hico and back. Got turned around a couple times (cause I didn't print directions :doh: )

Koffee Kup is great!! the only problem is I was full before I could eat all the pie! :food:

Hey found out something interesting about this trip. Remember where we stopped to take a break just after the "Pavement Ends" sign on 916?

Looking through Google earth I found an interesting note about the spot where we parked.

Submitted by witness on Saturday, August 31, 2002.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DATE: 1990-92

SEASON: Summer

STATE: Texas

COUNTY: Johnson

NEAREST TOWN: Rio Vista, on the Brazos River where it flows into Lake Whitney.

OBSERVED: My wife and I were out on the Brazos River with some friends. We were fishing and swimming on a sand bar in the Goatneck bend of the river. A member of our party noticed someone moving around on a rock ledge up on the cliffs about 250-300 feet above the river. They were about 1/2 mile away from us. As we started watching, whatever it was started jumping around, waving its arms like it was trying to get out attention. It did get our attention. It was jumping around like it was playing. We were able to observe it for 5 to 10 minutes. It jumped from one rock ledge to another that was 15 feet away and 20 feet or so down. A person couldn't have made that jump. It then jumped into a gully and disappeared. We waited a long time to see if it would reappear, but it didn't.

DESCRIPTION: It was at least 8 feet tall, covered with dark brown hair. It had a human-form.

PHYSICAL EVIDENCE: We went over to the area to see if we could find any evidence, but there wasn't any. It was very rocky terrain. We did see a cedar tree that it was standing next to. The tree was taller than us and the animal we saw was taller than the tree.

SOUNDS HEARD: We didn't hear any sounds. At other times we have heard strange sounds, mostly loud screams.

OTHER WITNESSES: My wife and a small group of friends.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Between 1:00 and 2:00 pm. It was a clear, sunny day. It was in the middle of summer, so it was very hot out.

ENVIRONMENT: Very rocky terrain, with limestone cliffs going up from the river.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INVESTIGATOR'S COMMENTS: I spoke with the witness on 9/06/02. The witness is an acquaintance of my family. He told this story to my brother after my brother told him that I was in a Bigfoot research group. The witness lives in the area of the sighting.

The witness was out with his wife and friends, swimming and fishing from a sandbar in the Brazos River. It was a clear, hot, sunny day between 1 and 2 pm. This is at the north end of Lake Whitney where the Brazos flows into the lake. There are very high limestone cliffs in this area, going up from the river. They were just out having a good time when one person noticed what they first thought was another person up on a rock ledge on the cliffs. He got the other people to look and they watched as this figure was jumping around on the ledge, waving its arms. As they watched it, they noticed that it looked very large, and was covered with dark brown hair. It had the shape of a person, but was much larger. It was about 1/2 mile away from where they were located, at an elevation of 250-300 feet above the river. They watched as this animal jumped from one rock ledge to another one that was 15 away horizontally and 20 down. It then jumped down into a gulley and disappeared. At this point, they decided that it definitely wasn't a person. They it for 5-10 minutes. They got the impression that it was playing around, jumping and waving its arms, maybe even to get their attention. They definitely felt that it saw them. They waited around for awhile to see if it would re-appear, but it didn't.

They hiked over to the area to see if there was any evidence. As the terrain was very rocky, they didn't find any tracks or other evidence. They did see a cedar tree that it had been standing next to at one point. This tree was taller than them and the creature was taller than the tree. They estimated its height to have been at least 8 feet. It did not make any sounds that they could hear, and they were too far away to detect any odors. They described it as being very tall, but not fat or bulky, even thin. It moved on two legs at all times, standing straight upright. Its arms hung down to knee level.

The land is now fenced in and is Corps of Engineer property. There are many caves in the area. The witness has heard many strange noises at night in the area. The ones that defy identification are described as screams. There are tales from people in the area of something large and hairy that is seen sometimes crossing the roads late at night. The people in the area aren't really concerned about it as they don't really know what it is.

Craig Woolheater

©Copyright 1999-2002 Texas Bigfoot Research Center

Anyone up for a night run :) heheheh

Back