• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Planes, Trains & Automobiles...well only trains actually!

philipbarrett

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
This really isn't a ride report as I was in a rental car not on 2 wheels. If you feel you've been cheated, skip ahead to another thread.

In a rare example of planetary alignment the missus & I found ourselves on business trips to the San Francisco area at the same time. With a full weekend to ourselves we went off exploring. We breakfasted at Alice's restaurant and saw some lovely vintage machinery.

IMG_2111-L.jpg

The off to the Redwoods for some leisurely hiking. Following that and on our way to the coast, driving with the window down (68 degrees & sunny) I heard the unmistakable sound of a steam whistle. Some quick Googling and a backtrack took us to California State Park's Roaring Camp Railroads park - http://www.roaringcamp.com/

Within minutes I was watching a Shay heading around the bend. For those who are unfamiliar, the Shay was a gear driven locomotive designed especially for ultra-heavy duty work on often poorly maintained narrow gauge tracks. Many hundreds were sold for logging duty in the West, this one dates from 1912.

L1030916-L.jpg

L1030917-L.jpg

She stopped to take on water.

L1030919-L.jpg

The pistons, drive & gear mechanism are all on the right side.

L1030923-L.jpg

I chatted with the engineer who told me to stick around as a Heisler was right behind them. Now the Heisler was another approach to the requirements of logging and features a central drive system with pistons in a V configuration copied (as we all know) directly from Moto Guzzi (had Guzzi been around in 1892 when this one was built).

L1030925-L.jpg

L1030926-L.jpg

But what about ice cream you say? Well as a matter of fact, later as we approached Santa Cruz the missus spotted an old parlour on other side of the street. One highly illegal u-turn later we were enjoying some of the best home made delights ever. The milkshake (salted caramel) was an 11 on a 10 scale.

IMG_2115-L.jpg

Of course there was other great dining, beaches, surfers and more redwoods. As usual, riding or driving, NorCal never disappoints.

Very nice, and thanks for all the insightful info on the trains. Got any closer shots of the gear section on the first train?

Got any closer shots of the gear section on the first train?

Well since you ask...mostly the pistons but you can see a little of the rest. All 4 axles are driven via bevel drive. Everything is super heavy duty which is why the little Shays were so popular, fast they weren't but perfectly suited to their designated task. So good in fact that an amazing 2,767 were built over a period of 67 years (1878 to 1945) and shipped worldwide. Of these an incredible 114 are thought to still survive.

L1030921-L.jpg

Back