• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Another Big Bike Rides Colorado story

jfink

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Fink
We were going to post real time, but just had to much fun riding and visiting in Colorado. So this is an after the fact report. Here is the route we rode from Spotwalla.

As we expected to ride:
ColoradoRoute.jpg

What we actually rode:
Spotwalla%2BAs%2BRidden.jpg

Day 0 (we arrive in Raton)
We started from Raton, NM with the hope of riding the Santa Fe trail over the old Raton pass. Turns out all the property on the Colorado side of the pass has been sold to a developer who has gated off the pass. But we rode the NM side none the less.

Some dirt on the old Santa Fe pass.
GcMPFVAYrQhjmhFWqe9CHVvkutKk3qVcc7nDKwI_igM=w978-h653-no.jpg

Overlooking the City of Raton from Goat Hill
2O_jkfIwW94j5Ao6voqFEKHkKzseguswK-FjbgaFq0A=w978-h653-no.jpg

The Iridium Layer from the K-Pg extinction event 65 million years ago.
dFGi6AbWrHfvwtHqhzsODkmxHis1Dz4UzVawgW62ZPU=w978-h653-no.jpg

We rode the day we got there, and it began to rain, turning some of the road into mud. But at least it isn't the type of mud we get here in east Texas.

Day 1
We decided to try to make it around Interstate 25 on the east side. There was a New Mexico road that was paved all the Colorado border. The riding was good and fast. However, when we hit dirt we ran into a little problem.

City of Raton marker did not necessarily bode well.
kCBmm6K1JN-OIbYOStJEYETO2IiDT_R9bLbUXYImVHc=w978-h653-no.jpg

A little further and a locked gate
dEw1Bipy1jWvtgyK9jQagD_Z-ZJMtfCSG9TQtJ3zmAA=w978-h653-no.jpg

We probably could have made it around however we ran into a Colorado Dept of Trans who said the road was completely gone from the rain up ahead, there was no getting through. So we turned around and rode the interstate.

Where we were stopped again for road construction
aucZ7TbznTZ-XWuNfMN_1IuYPACe5rM0Fb6-8k43W84=w978-h653-no.jpg

We finally were able to break loose and head east across the plains.
gn3eRRwKH2WB-HZ7SUo5FnNa9VgLPuZWX8KLY6JQR7w=w978-h653-no.jpg

More road closures
B-CUK3rWMd3rQVNhVuLXuTOGkiEcxhn5co7Yjb5fK8A=w978-h653-no.jpg

1P7Z6_bEL1wsaIw-SEGZDu8xscUVGd_N9a8XnkWf1Hc=w978-h653-no.jpg

We managed around the bridge outage by riding down through the ravine
6G8whKh7EN8PFHfGYrR765RK3WAtXFp-VPYitKkN0A4=w978-h653-no.jpg

There were a number of abandoned churches along the total route, here is one of them
q5wSe-CujbpKkvTtZgefTA2-_BztKLJD_GNlLDVUaZA=w978-h653-no.jpg

And finally the mountains to the west
oRV4lFJ7KXcp4XX25e8vyrfo5XMTNUtqupzgdNiFcBA=w978-h653-no.jpg

We stopped in Florence Colorado at the Super 8 next to a Federal Maximum Security Prison. None the less, I slept well after a big dinner and a couple brews.

Day 2
We rode the Phantom Canyon Rd to Victor then Gold Camp to Colorado Springs. Entering Phantom Canyon we were met with another "road closed" sign. We rode up anyway and passed a front end loader and spoke with the operator. He said there had been a landslide and there was another front end loader working up the road. He said we were on our own :shrug: if we went on. Not sure what that meant.

I suppose we should have turned around, but we didn't and when we got to the landslide, there was a gap big enough to drive a truck through.
z44ZzVCsplLqaro0kNZSKxGKv2iHC9DYTNCbO7scjhc=w978-h653-no.jpg

The operator said that he had not been beyond this point. The road was very fast except for the occasional wash out.
jqHOCymd3gAL6nlJHwSqTf4z6OCNoEnN4DPceoW5nL0=w978-h653-no.jpg

One of several tunnels
aXYcX-fmMrpgIBkbDJeu9Qg16qLe-HHnCpSbYmlOPIg=w978-h653-no.jpg

A pretty amazing wood floor bridge
gLU0WnZqZNLu7p9pz6NFZBKuSHL5s1Jq26x5lc6ATLY=w978-h653-no.jpg

xqlcixHsUHuuJiEwak-gOyRhdj7FsChMt-_l32BL9LY=w978-h653-no.jpg

A nice view of Colorado Springs from Stage Coach Road
HsdGBOGRAyRoUhGVnWHdLeNMLdiAwVg3hdv8h0gdZao=w978-h653-no.jpg

More dirt
SJCl8xZChcASAhcf-kaLH6Raw41WzSjeHcffs59slPQ=w978-h653-no.jpg

Day 3
We rode Rampart Range Road out of Colorado Springs which I have been on many years ago, but I don't remember these views.
oDk25ZFKnelaqGUWGwAG_SJsgjxu7Qyp00Yr243_1L4=w1162-h653-no.jpg

Pikes Peak
7shT_L06QDaVinLSwkyB8flDnbkaM_YGP259NjEZyqo=w1162-h653-no.jpg

Pikes Peak from one of the many switchbacks
_EM1SqI1JpSbOODE5yK0tI1BU27ft90sHfpoVZ_toOE=w1162-h653-no.jpg

Pikes Peak again
b_l4uR2FHoQmMFLUIe7FE-fQPHFg7e3z6otE0mN1sLE=w1162-h653-no.jpg

After riding Rampart we worked our way into Denver and spent 3 days with relatives visiting the Avery brewery where Chucks son works as the manager of operations.

More to come ...

Last edited:
I have been looking forward to reading this report.

Looks like it was a great trip.

[radionerd]I see an antenna sticking up in your photos what kind of radio are you running and how's it mounted?[/radionerd]

[radionerd]I see an antenna sticking up in your photos what kind of radio are you running and how's it mounted?[/radionerd]

Thanks Richard and RG, for your comments.

We use the J&M Handlebar JMCB-2003 mounted CB's. We have tried Bluetooth Scala Rider and GMRS radios but the J&M seem to be the most straight forward and easy to use. On the KTM's at speed, they are very noisy, but so is almost anything.

So, you both are on KTM's? From the sig line, one is a 500. What's the other one?

Are yall packed for camping?

Thanks for posting your journey. Looks great.

:popcorn:

So, you both are on KTM's? From the sig line, one is a 500. What's the other one?

Are yall packed for camping?

Thanks for posting your journey. Looks great.

:popcorn:

Actually, they are both 2011 KTM 990 Adventure Dakars. We bought the same bike for our trip to South America to increase the redundancy and reduce the need for more parts and tools. It was a good idea, that really didn't work out. :-)

Day 4 (actually day 7, but who's counting)
We rode out of Denver after visiting with relatives and having a great time at the Avery brewery (at least that's the way I remember it!).

Most of the ride was twisting pavement but we did find this great little road called Trail Creek Rd. It had a number of water crossing and mud puddles that took the entire road. There had been a lot of rain and the threat of even more.

Water and Water Crossings
P1070207.jpg

P1070208.jpg

P1070212.jpg

P1070214.jpg

It began raining as we left this road so we decided to slab it into Salida (pronounced Sa Li Da not Sa Le Da). I overheard a conversation between Chuck and his son where they agreed that Colorado just didn't get the Spanish language. Uhh ... can you say Amarillo??? :-)

In Salida, we found a great pizza place called Amica's and each had a personal pizza and a couple brews actually brewed at the Restaurant.

Day 5
We rode out of Salida and tried to ride on the north side of the Arkansas river. Highway 50 runs on the south side, and there appeared to be a dirt road on the north. But the inevitable happened.
P1070231.jpg

We rode a few miles before finding the road washed out again. But we did manage to find a few more roads that were a little more agressive. Riding these behemoths we elected not to continue on this road, instead following Hwy 50 to the Royal Gorge.

P1070236.jpg

P1070237.jpg

P1070239.jpg

We had intended to ride across the Royal Gorge by coming in through the South Entrance, but again the road and gate was closed due to issues with maintenance on the road. But, we did find a great paved road about 25 or so miles named Colorado 27A. If you are riding big bikes and prefer pavement, this is a very nice road.

We did manage to stop at the Great Sand Dunes National Park. If you haven't been there, it is actually pretty neat. Having lived in Colorado most of my life, this is the first time I had been there. I will probably go back again and try to ride Modeno Pass Primitive road.

P1070260.jpg

8TgNGfGYHIzz4bpLogMkLg7HkivE9bLsehvpOObw0po=w296-h198-p-no.jpg

We did ride a short dirt road to cut off a longer paved ride. A VERY fast road where we crossed paths with a couple from Taos NM, Rick and Karen.
P1070255.jpg

P1070227.jpg

P1070216.jpg

Eventually we stopped in South Fork, spent the night and had Colorado's version of Mexican. It was good, I thought, but it wasn't Tex-Mex. Chuck liked the Margarita's.

Day 6
We rode the Bachelor loop north of Creede. A little muddy with Rain but the views were still great. We had lunch at Kips in Creede and talked with a local tour guide who told us about some of the many issues the weather has created in Colorado this year.
P1070276.jpg

P1070274.jpg

P1070273.jpg

Day 7
That night we spent in a small camp with my wife's relatives, where our money was again taken in a couple games of knock poker. The next day, we had a late start but managed still to find time to stop and enjoy the beauty of the Rocky Mountains.
P1070278-PANO.jpg

After this windy road south of La Vida, called La Vita Pass, we found a little dirt road that served to cut the corner of the paved road.
P1070287.jpg

P1070288.jpg

Again, super fast, lots of fun but not an adventurous challenge.

In the end, we made it back to the Hotel where we started. Thankfully, the trailer and Suburban was still there and we were ready to start on our journey homeward.

P1070299.jpg

Last edited:
Having ridden that area alot in the past,I was curious as to where the wooden bridge is located.

Having ridden that area alot in the past,I was curious as to where the wooden bridge is located.

On Phantom Canyon Rd between Florence and Victor. I mentioned to my brother, who lives in Colorado Springs, that we had ridden Phantom Canyon and the first thing he said was, "how about that bridge?"

Last edited:
:tab Way back in 2005, I tried leading a group North out of Raton over the old pass and could not find a way through. We even cut West a ways on 555 and tried cross over just below where CO 12 makes its bend North... No luck. It was all gated off. We did talk to a guy. It was a BIG resort type place where people had their summer cabins. REALLY nice summer cabins! Like you, we eventually had to just head back to I-25 and run up to Trinidad. There was some nice dirt that cut the corner of 12 and came out just South of Cuchara. We got to ride over the Royal Gorge bridge. That was pretty cool! Then we worked our way West to Montrose on 50 and spent the rest of the week riding in that area.

:tab One of the things that makes Colorado fun is that the same road can be an entirely different ride from one year to the next because of what the weather does to the roads.

:tab Way back in 2005, I tried leading a group North out of Raton over the old pass and could not find a way through. We even cut West a ways on 555 and tried cross over just below where CO 12 makes its bend North... No luck. It was all gated off. We did talk to a guy. It was a BIG resort type place where people had their summer cabins. REALLY nice summer cabins! Like you, we eventually had to just head back to I-25 and run up to Trinidad. There was some nice dirt that cut the corner of 12 and came out just South of Cuchara. We got to ride over the Royal Gorge bridge. That was pretty cool! Then we worked our way West to Montrose on 50 and spent the rest of the week riding in that area.

:tab One of the things that makes Colorado fun is that the same road can be an entirely different ride from one year to the next because of what the weather does to the roads.

We heard a lot about old Raton Pass. In fact we ran into a gent who told us four or five years ago he had actually ridden the Santa Fe trail. But after the Colorado side was sold to the developers the old pass was cordoned off and there was no access. I am sorry to say I waited to long to make that ride.

Being the age I am I am happy to say every day we rode we rode some dirt and some very nice pavement. It was a good combination and balance.

Here are few jittery videos I captured

Chuck crosses a ravine to get around the downed bridge.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKHM-2HHsCY"]Bridge Out[/ame]

Chuck slinging mud.
[ame="http://youtu.be/4f4f0A5z9n8"]Chuck navigating the mud[/ame]

One of several wash outs that closed Phantom Creek Road between Florence and Victor Colorado.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-FrJUwbnpQ"]Phantom Canyon Road outage[/ame]

One of seven or eight little creek crossings on Trail Creek Road.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1HzP-6FaBY"]Trail Creek Road creek crossing[/ame]

The Great Sand Dune National Park, the Great Sand Dune and Medano Creek surging.
[ame="http://youtu.be/hZbl139Km44"]Great Sand Dune and Medano Creek Surge Flow[/ame]

A fun little paved road between La Vita and Walsenburg Colorado.
[ame="http://youtu.be/ugkyAPoJOqo"]La Vita Pass Road[/ame]

Last edited:
Cool videos Joe. You might want to tell Chuck momentum is your friend when crossing mud holes like that one. What were you recording the videos with? The first one looks like high-def.

Cool videos Joe. You might want to tell Chuck momentum is your friend when crossing mud holes like that one. What were you recording the videos with? The first one looks like high-def.

Well, I think Chuck is long past listening to me; refer to his comments about me crashing and riding recklessly. May be he will pick up on your suggestion.

I use a Panasonic Lumix that my kids bought for me before I left for South America in 2012. It's waterproof and shock proof. It's a good camera but really hard to keep stable when filming videos.

Re: momentum, I was going to say the same thing. The other thing that helps is packing lighter :-P

Looks like it was a great trip and a fun time to visit. All those 'road closed' signs are incredibly inviting. Looks like it is almost permission to have a good time.

Re: momentum, I was going to say the same thing. The other thing that helps is packing lighter :-P

Looks like it was a great trip and a fun time to visit. All those 'road closed' signs are incredibly inviting. Looks like it is almost permission to have a good time.

Gary, it has been a while since you have been on this site. Actually, we were pretty light, but it seems you can't make the boxes any smaller no matter how little you put in them. I DO have a beefed up shock and fork springs that I should have had in South America. I only bottomed out once, in a wash out that I didn't see. If there is anything I should lighten it would be that which hangs off my backside. To many good beers.

Great report, Joe :clap: Looks like you guys had an awesome time, and that's what it's all about, eh? Thanks for sharing.

Great report, Joe :clap: Looks like you guys had an awesome time, and that's what it's all about, eh? Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Rob; we should do a trip that doesn't involve Ouray. There are some great roads in Colorado on the front range and up in north park that don't get the traffic that Ouray does. I really enjoyed Rampart and Gold Camp and there were a few dirt roads off of those that I would have loved to explore.

Back