• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2015 Best of Montana 1000

Rsquared

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I just returned from the “2015 Best of Montana 1000” and thought I’d post up some pictures from the ride for my riding buddies and anyone else interested to see…
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/best-of-montana-1000-2015.1029562/

Background: My first trip to Montana was back in September of 2013 on the “LOF 5” ride. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89794
This ride really left an impression on me for riding that part of the country, along with a desire for more. In 2014, I had planned to make the “2014 Best of Montana 1000”. Unfortunately, my peer at work became ill and I had to cancel my vacation. So this year I was really wanting to return to Montana and fortunately, it all worked out.

Anyway, here’s a few pictures and a short description of each…
We met up in Stevensville, Mt at the ride organizers home, to park our trucks and begin the ride.

Wansfel’s house.

DSC03520.jpg

DSC03518.jpg

From there the plan was to ride the LoLo motorway to the site of the first night s camp. Folks broke up into various size groups at this point. I paired up with fellow Texan UlyBrad.

DSC03526.jpg

DSC03527.jpg

DSC03532.jpg

Brad during a break from taking “soil samples”…

DSC03535.jpg

Camp.

DSC03537.jpg

DSC03539.jpg

Our group eventually grew to seven riders.

One of the guys managed to find a really nice hole while trying to avoid a mud puddle. The young man on the 1190 had an electric winch he used to pull out the 990.

DSC03541.jpg

A quick stop for breakfast.

DSC03544.jpg

Then back on the trail.

DSC03546.jpg

DSC03548.jpg

DSC03550.jpg

During our decent, the young man on the 1190 had a couple of bad get-offs that required a re-route for us to get him out of the mountains. This caused us to change our campsite for the evening. We ended up camping at the Hot Springs outside of Riggins ID. http://www.zimshotsprings.com/
The following morning our plans were to catch up to the rest of the group and get back on schedule by meeting them at the campsite for the next night. Only problem was that we had flat tire issues the next morning and I managed to pinch the tube making repairs. (my first pinched tube in years) (Really). We were able to catch back up with the group late that evening.

DSC03557.jpg

DSC03559.jpg

DSC03561.jpg

Last edited:
Rsquared, great to see you and a Texas contingent at BOM! A most fantastic ride. You know it was great when your boot is totally trashed at the end....Will post up more shortly, if you are cool with me jumping in on your thread.....

Boot_zps9dmtysfc.jpg

Thanks for sharing your thread.....glad to pipe up with some pics and observations. I can share some from me and my bro KosmicKLR. This is a FANTASTIC ride I highly recommend a Texas contingent make it out every year. With the cost of gas down, splitting the transportation makes it pretty cost effective. We did drive about 4,000 miles round trip!

One observation I had was this BOM crew, including the Texas riders....really lay it on! ID and MT are a huge play ground for DS riders, and the whole pack of KTM 690s really open up on those roads..but also several riders on sleeper DR650s that could hang it all out! Those speeds were a challenge for me, I focused on keeping the rubber side down.

The Best of Montana was one of the most beautiful and challenging adventures we ever experienced! Big thanks to Wansfel for a perfect combination of dirt and paved roads linked together with excellent camping spots and peppered with great places to eat! I really liked the self-sufficient nature of the BOM, which encouraged us to ride at what ever pace was comfortable and to make what you will of the ride, while a watchful eye was kept on everyone's well being.

We hauled our XR650R, KLR 650 and our friend's TransAlp from Austin TX.
BestOfMontana_002_zpswaieafab.jpg

Our friend who I will call "KC", met us in Pocatello at a transport depot after hiking the Idaho mountains. This would be KC's first dirt adventure!

BestOfMontana_003_zpsysct3fyi.jpg

On night before day one, we meet up at Long Riders BBQ, a fantastic place populated by enthusiastic dual sport riders...including the owner!
We had some great BBQ and also hit the brewery next door for a some growlers.

Interesting fact of MT breweries, state law requires they close at 8 PM, so they dont compete with the taverns! Also, they are "tasting rooms" with a 48 oz limit per person. Typically local restaurants will deliver to the brewery "tasting room" which Long Riders will do. We hit Long Riders up on our last day out before returning to Austin.

https://www.facebook.com/LongRidersBBQ

D1a_zpsiejtz2pl.jpg

D1c_zpsptbggzpe.jpg

D1d_zpsyf1t2qkc.jpg

After a very welcoming evening spent at Wansfel's home, where we also met some fellow TWT, ADVrider, and RDS members, we left the next morning for the Lolo Motorway.

BestOfMontana_005_zpsk2jwdet3.jpg

BestOfMontana_006_zpsioxf6act.jpg

KC has a great attitude when it comes to Adventure Riding! He is very relaxed and mellow when on two wheels and is always up for a challenge. This was his first long distance dirt ride and he handled the TransAlp extremely well, especially given that the bike was on 80% road 20% dirt tires. Dirt riding will bring anyones character traits to the forefront, more so than road riding, and KC never sweated it once.

BestOfMontana_007_zpskufmm5in.jpg

This was typical of the weather we were blessed with for 90 percent of the ride! There were a couple rain storms that we played tag with briefly one day that were hardly worth putting our rain gear on for.

BestOfMontana_008_zpsqo7drpdq.jpg

This was some fantastic stuff! Awesome wild flowers abound and dirt roads that seem to go on for ever. The real mind-blower was riding dirt all day and never once stopping to open a gate!

BestOfMontana_009_zps05q8j8rg.jpg

BestOfMontana_010_zpsohlznoln.jpg

BestOfMontana_011_zpsm0a0fuea.jpg

BestOfMontana_012_zpsmchzmkwr.jpg

On day one we get some real tire changing action...perlpexing because KC had NEW tires and tubes mounted on the bike.....So how did he suffer a flat right off the bat?

Here is the answer:

The cruddy Austin shop put a tube from a MOPED with a rusty stem in the bike after he popped the new one KC provided....of course this would hold up to the rider and all his gear, in the most remote state in the US! We vowed to string up that shop owner with his cruddy moped tube!

D1h_zpskamia3ic.jpg

Kosmic digs in he loves this stuff!

D1g_zpsutwm7hdt.jpg

Ahhh, full at last, full at last!

D1f_zpshhvjrrgu.jpg

One of our compadres rolls up on us....a fantastic dude with a lot of tall tales to tell! He loves DS riding and hanging out with his homies.

D1j_zpslowfbtyr.jpg

The flat changing and later some TransAlp CDI issues did set us back from the pack for a day.....but that was cool....we would catch up soon! Fantastic roads open up for us!

D1k_zpssksppn1q.jpg

D1l_zpshnc1elfk.jpg

Dont let that front tire fool you...KC handled his bike like a seasoned pro! Only a couple of dabs in the loose stuff during the whole ride with us.
Also, his TransAlp has better rear shock, and emulators in the forks, which made his ride a real sleeper. I could see that suspension soaking up the terrain.

KC was smart enought to pack a spare ignition black box, which we needed to use when one toasted on the ride. Also, discovering a disconnected plug wire under the tank was a big help!

D1m_zpsstssapaq.jpg

D1n_zpsm4stozad.jpg

This was a lot of the view KC gave me on his TransAlp....smooth and deadly on the roads!

D1o_zpsmhirmmzb.jpg

Fantastic roads and bridges abound in ID and MT.....Hip Hip Hooray for PUBLIC LAND! So glad I could reap the rewards of my tax dollars that support the BLM, and Forest Service. Not a single gate!

D1p_zpsjmnypgz3.jpg

Stay tuned!

Continuing Day 1, we traversed more of the Lolo Motorway. As much as we enjoyed the Motorway, we decided to bail from it about half-way through because it was getting fairly late and we wanted to try to catch up to the other groups of riders.

One fellow BOMer I talked to said his group did the entire Lolo Motorway and pulled into camp at 11:30 PM!

BestOfMontana_013_zpsacu1vlpo.jpg

BestOfMontana_014_zpswjqfql5x.jpg

Here we are back on the pavement taking a break after completing part of the Lolo Motorway.

BestOfMontana_015_zpsopq0fvnr.jpg

We had a beautiful run along the river as we headed towards the first night's camping.

BestOfMontana_016_zpslchzonq8.jpg

BestOfMontana_017_zpsslwn8apc.jpg

I am always tempted to jump in to these awesome rivers!
BestOfMontana_018_zpsasye9jxj.jpg

Remnants of an ancient civilization's dam?
BestOfMontana_019_zpsbh1ztl3w.jpg

Water wins out over rock in the long run. "Be like water my friend" - Bruce Lee
BestOfMontana_020_zps8saccgxl.jpg

BestOfMontana_021_zpsgwen6nds.jpg

My 2008 KLR hit 29,000 miles on this adventure and it blew my socks off with how capable and undemanding it was.
It carries tons of luggage, cruises at 60 mph, handles decently on rough roads, and absolutely loves smooth gravel roads.Occasionally the suspension was a bit overwhelmed, but it keeps on tickin and takin a lickin.

BestOfMontana_022_zpstc4vy0cp.jpg

Our first night's camping on the Selway River- we were surprised that we did not find any fellow BOMers around! Dang they ride fast.
We later learned everyone was camped about 10 miles away from us.

BestOfMontana_023_zpsxdzfjqxq.jpg

BestOfMontana_024_zpslsfboi34.jpg

Day 2 started off quite nicely despite some bites on my lower legs from some silent gnat type of bug.
UlyBrad, we are trying to catch up with you!

BestOfMontana_025_zpsvf7ypasu.jpg

BestOfMontana_026_zpsj6ipbvq3.jpg

BestOfMontana_027_zpsrvsxxy8a.jpg

BestOfMontana_028_zpsvydojwbu.jpg

BestOfMontana_029_zps1myjg4n4.jpg

BestOfMontana_030_zpsssqxrxwc.jpg

The quality of the gravel roads is astounding! I supposed they are so well maintained because they represent a life-line to civilization and have to be depended upon as a reliable form of transport through the mountains. They must be well funded by public money as well. In comparison, Texas dirt roads are pretty rough and unmaintained. They are probably considered more a working road born of economic necessity for ranching on private property rather than something for pleasant public transportation.

BestOfMontana_031_zps0cnc3xrv.jpg

BestOfMontana_032_zpsvfoe4wz2.jpg

BestOfMontana_035_zpshre5odne.jpg

BestOfMontana_036_zps9pfynpye.jpg

BestOfMontana_037_zpsuvyprile.jpg

BestOfMontana_038_zpsnnqsbyzj.jpg

BestOfMontana_039_zpslstf0vy7.jpg

BestOfMontana_040_zpsau8uuzhg.jpg

KC on the Sleeper TransAlp with souped up suspension. We met two Non-BOMers riding $60,000 worth of BMWs, they were nice enough to let KC know that he really "Ought to go get yourself a BMW F800". We were speechless.

BestOfMontana_041_zpsc8sqcwsv.jpg

BestOfMontana_042_zpsxsi3jhmp.jpg

BestOfMontana_043_zpsurnlottb.jpg

Them there flars are awesome! You guys get all the good stuff in the summer!

BestOfMontana_044_zpsqfk8datc.jpg

BestOfMontana_045_zpskuvkvc5a.jpg

Then this happened!

No pictures because we were focusing on the task at hand. A wonderful two-track ATV trail greeted us, and presented a very satisfying challenge!

BestOfMontana_046_zpssektidxc.jpg

Day two starts off nice and we hit some great breakfast on the road!

D2e_zpsou8rxcdt.jpg

D2f_zpsglkvksiq.jpg

D2g_zps3lvk6bik.jpg

Now some more great riding!

D2a_zps9qavr6z4.jpg

D2b_zpszmyn9num.jpg

D2c_zpsn24xccyd.jpg

D2d_zpst6hmbcvv.jpg

D2h_zpsrdt7p0j3.jpg

D2i_zpshq2lpqig.jpg

D2j_zpsdqsuqqrs.jpg

Here we get into some deeper woods.....but with perfect weather and roads. *Soon, we would be tested by the ATV track!

D2k_zps1q8ozkqe.jpg

D2l_zpslhiwv41q.jpg

D2m_zpslnu4apyn.jpg

Starting to get some whoops! *KC and the TransAlp munch this up!

D2n_zpsnz1ab1lk.jpg

D2o_zps48d4rg7f.jpg

Finally we are out of it and on to some smoother black-gravely roads...

D2p_zpsph3nee79.jpg

D2q_zpsvu1td8un.jpg

Here we end up on the Salmon River, in Riggins.....and some very wild stuff ensues that night! *Can you say four drunk, naked locals, and a rolled SUV?

D2r_zpsdytn2etp.jpg

After exiting the ATV trails we hit some very smooth and nicely groomed roads which ultimately led to Riggins ID on the Salmon River.
BestOfMontana_047_zps89ua0flu.jpg

BestOfMontana_048_zpshz53s2wp.jpg

BestOfMontana_049_zpsrgyujcvq.jpg

BestOfMontana_050_zpsptfzzahz.jpg

BestOfMontana_051_zpseweuahee.jpg

Since the sun was starting to set, I took advantage of the opportunity to take some photos!
BestOfMontana_052_zpsqu2pmefu.jpg

BestOfMontana_053_zpsjt5cso9t.jpg

After getting a big sandwich, beer and Ice for dinner in Riggins we back-tracked for free public camping on the Salmon River.
Boy was the water refreshing!
BestOfMontana_054_zpsig4rhmn7.jpg

I was tucked into my sleeping bag for the night thinking all was well and drifting into sleep, when I heard a vehicle whiz by our tents, then BANG!!!
A massive BANG reverberated off the mountains, I thought it was a gun, cannon or industrial accident! Then the yelling began. Call 911!! Call 911!!
KC was still sitting at the picnic table when all this transpired and he saw the SUV run off the edge of the road and roll several times to be stopped by two trees finally resting on the passenger side. The occupants - two men and two naked women were crazy drunk.
We went to the scene where a fellow camper who was trained in military rescue got the situation under control.
Broken glass, blood and dirty underwear littered the site the following morning.
Here you can see the SUVs tracks where it left the road and rolled, and the two trees that kept the vehicle from rolling further.
It was freaking crazy.
BestOfMontana_084_zps5ombyew6.jpg

The following morning we left for Burgdorf thinking how lucky we were that the SUV had not run over our tents the previous evening.
The ride along the Salmon River to this bridge was spectacular. I am surprised at how long a suspension bridge can be.
BestOfMontana_055_zpsor978yl6.jpg

BestOfMontana_057_zpsgulzytes.jpg

BestOfMontana_058_zpsdfqqo5l0.jpg

BestOfMontana_059_zpstxa6qbml.jpg

These switchbacks were one of the highlights of the entire trip.
BestOfMontana_060_zpsyskkwkgf.jpg

BestOfMontana_061_zpsgncszpio.jpg

BestOfMontana_062_zpswg64cupt.jpg

BestOfMontana_063_zpsyok7guhm.jpg

AND THEN THERE WAS:
BestOfMontana_071_zpsoj2jwi7d.jpg

Once we arrived at Burgdorf Hot Spring and saw the naturally fed mineral hot springs, there was no way we were getting back on the bikes.
113 Degrees of bug bite soothing mineral water was just what the doctor ordered.
BestOfMontana_082_zpsecd8tccv.jpg

The large pool was like a really warm bath which got cooler as one went towards the end of it.
Since we were cabin guests the springs were available to us at all hours.
BestOfMontana_068_zpsrrjsv407.jpg

Cabin amenities were sparse in a very welcome way, no electricity, no running water and no communication with the outside world was just fine with us!
BestOfMontana_081_zpsy175df1i.jpg

BestOfMontana_064_zps1rekzvlm.jpg

BestOfMontana_065_zpshwwjtnmp.jpg

It felt good to take a day off just wandering around Burgdorf, playing with the camera and not thinking about much.
BestOfMontana_066_zpshdl8pqve.jpg

BestOfMontana_075_zpsekjpyrqq.jpg

BestOfMontana_074_zpsuiwsia7n.jpg

BestOfMontana_077_zpsdjheou0b.jpg

BestOfMontana_079_zpsxbgb2nyx.jpg

BestOfMontana_080_zpsk8beexmc.jpg

BestOfMontana_069_zpslh3t3an3.jpg

BestOfMontana_067_zpsraclhred.jpg

Oh!!! Before I forget.... we had a great encounter with 67 year old Rob, who bought his Guzzi new in 1970.
He's had it apart enough to massage it into a finely tuned machine. The moment I saw it I could tell it had been expertly maintained all it's life.
Not a single oil leak, not a single bolt head was rounded, everything in its place as it should be!
1100 miles in two days, at 70 mph. Perfect.
BestOfMontana_083_zpstipw5qqv.jpg

After our stay at Burgdorf our friend KC peeled off to head south towards Texas, and my brother and I decide to catch up with the main riding groups who were about a day ahead of us. This meant putting the "Dual" in Dual Sport and riding a couple hundred miles of pavement, and nice pavement it was!
BestOfMontana_085_zps4fnoiyra.jpg

BestOfMontana_086_zps44p0wpb8.jpg

We headed for the Reservoir Lake campground in the Beaverhead National Forest which is where the group would be camping that evening.
BestOfMontana_087_zpsg5gsqyps.jpg

BestOfMontana_088_zpsi2g9axqd.jpg

The sun was setting as we entered the National Forest and the well groomed roads allowed for good speed.
BestOfMontana_089_zps25l8gkwv.jpg

BestOfMontana_090_zps8cfgggfu.jpg

BestOfMontana_091_zpsytsyxj11.jpg

BestOfMontana_092_zpss7rmkvpy.jpg

Needless to say it was getting hard to keep an eye on the road with all the scenery around us.
BestOfMontana_093_zpsy0i7yezi.jpg

The roads go on forever! I was not accustomed to the uninterrupted length of the roads and was getting concerned about reaching the campsite by night fall.
BestOfMontana_094_zpsirueb4br.jpg

BestOfMontana_095_zpse42lmnd7.jpg

BestOfMontana_096_zpshvnfohjq.jpg

CAMP!! Finally after hours and hours of dirt roads we arrived at 10:00 PM! The long stretch of road following the Bloody Dick River was a marathon event of riding. Some how we got a second wind of energy and ****** the torpedos, riding as fast as we could, while scanning for potential deer encounters on the road. I thought I was pretty bad-assed to have made it to camp, until I tried to park my KLR and promptly dropped it on its side. Shaking from the adrenalin, I need help picking it up.
It sure felt good to arrive and see all of our pals.
BestOfMontana_097_zpsszsjxmay.jpg

BestOfMontana_098_zpshkpyliad.jpg

406Blues, good to meet you and make your acquaintance!
BestOfMontana_099_zps2qx6zjge.jpg

Here is an aerial view of our camping area that we were sooooooo happy to have arrived!
BestOfMontana_145_zpsxbk3proy.jpg

The morning after camping at Reservoir Lake, we had great breakfast! We kept the restaurant busy and it was nice to chat with Ulybrad and Wansfel at the table.
BestOfMontana_100_zpsfkwghcue.jpg

BestOfMontana_101_zpstvvglzya.jpg

One of the most interesting bits of 19th century industrialization I've ever seen was the Charcoal Kilns of Canyon Creek.

"The Historic Canyon Creek Charcoal Kilns
Michael Ryan
Beaverhead National Forest

What have charcoal kilns and the production of charcoal to do with Forest Service history? An honest answer has to be—not very much. Not very much if you are looking for a direct historical linkage between mining history as it unfolded in Canyon Creek and the early forest reserves or the later national forests. However, the mining history in Canyon Creek, and the role played by charcoal production in that history, provide a background or context for understanding the kinds of use early forest reserve officers and later Forest Service officers were expected to bring under control and management in the late nineteenth and very early twentieth centuries. Canyon Creek represents just one of many possible examples of free access or free use of forest resources taken as a right by industrial, agricultural, and individual interests throughout the West during the nineteenth century.

Other prominent local examples of nineteenth century industrial use of public resources are numerous in both the timber and livestock industries. However, the mining industry in Montana was the first, most important, and arguably the largest user of natural resources in southwestern Montana. Timber and water were critical to the development of any ore body. Mining companies exploited these resources freely without regard to conservation or compensation to anyone but owners or stockholders..."
From: http://www.foresthistory.org/Publications/Books/Origins_National_Forests/sec9.htm

BestOfMontana_103_zpsnrplmptw.jpg

BestOfMontana_102_zpshsi0jn35.jpg

BestOfMontana_104_zpsknsxcjqp.jpg

BestOfMontana_105_zpsw1sz9u7j.jpg

BestOfMontana_106_zps31iciptl.jpg

We continued riding towards our next pre-determined camping spot and had a great time getting there.
BestOfMontana_107_zpstgxa9u9c.jpg

BestOfMontana_108_zpsdduq5sdb.jpg

BestOfMontana_110_zpsxd586hjj.jpg

RDS Member UlyBrad :ricky
BestOfMontana_111_zpskfk66hpb.jpg

We stayed at the Bike Camp in Twin Bridges which is a really wonderful free facility for bicyclists passing through town, donations are accepted.
" “Bill” in the note is William White, the man who had the vision to create Bike Camp in Twin Bridges, Montana. It is one of the kind in the country. A purpose built structure for touring cyclists that includes a bathroom, shower, sink, repair stand, reference books and safe haven from mosquitoes. When we passed through there last year, we ran into Bill by pure luck in a coffee shop/curios store on the main drag. We spent the afternoon talking about how Bike Camp came about. He had been seeing touring cyclists passing through but not stopping in Twin Bridges. In his words, “it was like watching gold flow down the river.” He wanted to give them a a reason to stop in town so he lobbied and pulled money together (a lot of it was from his own coffers) and created Bike Camp...."
From: http://pathlesspedaled.com/2012/07/remembering-bill-white-founder-of-bike-camp-in-twin-bridges-montana

Easy Rider stopped in as well, we saw him days ago on the road and I must say he has style and fortitude.
I keep thinking he must be European.
BestOfMontana_112_zpsmszmphde.jpg

Back to the dirt we go, into the Gravelly Range and Black Butte!
BestOfMontana_146_zpszafruwxw.jpg

BestOfMontana_113_zps1asyakqy.jpg

Riggins offered some cool water and cold beer for the long hot day, after we came off the hot mountain side....caked in some nasty black road dust!

D3b_zpsol52udbm.jpg

D3c_zps2tzvkydk.jpg
[move][/move]

Little did we know the waters were infested with Toe Sharks....

D3a_zpssonj9ezj.jpg

D3d_zpsiwaw3mpy.jpg

Heading out along the Salmon river, on some fantastic old bridges......getting ready for the highlight of the trip, a fantastic climb up to Burgdorf!

D3e_zpsi3xw2eqa.jpg

D3f_zpsmfg26nqk.jpg

D3g_zpsbgqsz0o1.jpg

D3h_zpsa1bhmylx.jpg

As we head up, countless switch backs await us....and room only for one car on this narrow road!

D3i_zpsoivxlp75.jpg

D3j_zpsyucvh0wr.jpg

D3k_zpsvnmcieyh.jpg

D3l_zpsahcabzux.jpg

Next we make it to the fantastic hot springs....we did about 50 miles that day and it was about 11 AM....once we took a dip it was DECIDED! WE STAY!
Plus there was some nice eye candy about the springs, that did our road weary souls some good to see, since we only had our own mugs to look at for several days...

D3m_zpscegstxer.jpg

D3n_zps6e6mbzgt.jpg

D3o_zps7wxux9tt.jpg

D3p_zpsv9dqqakz.jpg

Ahh, dunk right in!

D3q_zpsmiyijzgb.jpg

D3r_zpswnhtldwq.jpg

Gnarly Dude!

D3s_zps8bh5xrfw.jpg

After we said a tearful good by to KC, we make some time as the sun sets to catch up with the BOM Crew.....this was some of the most intense riding I have done, trying to beat the sun....and race in on a few rays of remaining sun light....

D3t_zpskuion8bt.jpg

D3u_zpsf0zzepot.jpg

D3v_zpsh1a64yyo.jpg

Felt great to catch up with the BOM crew finally!

D3w_zpsquglbax3.jpg

D3x_zpsozgzk8nv.jpg

D3z_zpsml1tillj.jpg

D3za_zpsqcx4ehoa.jpg

I have a feeling horses don't go hungry in Montana, unless this hay is sold to dairy farms. Nonetheless, it sure makes for awesome photos and aromas!

BestOfMontana_114_zpsjmrwwneh.jpg

BestOfMontana_115_zpsrhepfkpi.jpg

BestOfMontana_116_zpsyscmpfjj.jpg

BestOfMontana_117_zps9bjy9hos.jpg

BestOfMontana_118_zps2aezyjg8.jpg

"The Gravelly Range Road Backcountry Drive is very different from most mountain routes in Montana. Usually, most scenic drives in the mountains climb to cross a pass and then travel through a scenic valley or parallel the base of the mountains. What distinguishes the Gravelly Range Road Backcountry Drive from most other drives is that the route travels for over thirty miles across a high-elevation plateau. As this plateau consists of primarily of high-altitude meadows, with scattered forests, the views of the Gravelly Range and other nearby mountain ranges seemingly never end." FROM: http://www.bigskyfishing.com/scenic-drives/gravelly-range.php

The Gravelly Range was my favorite part of the BOM, it was the BOMB!
The long curvey climbs were my favorite and the lack of other vehicles was quite nice.
BestOfMontana_119_zpsvnhbdecy.jpg

BestOfMontana_120_zpspt8gofv6.jpg

BestOfMontana_121_zpsusrrestk.jpg

BestOfMontana_122_zpsny4mnzni.jpg

BestOfMontana_123_zpsyhwdngtm.jpg

BestOfMontana_124_zpsxhfypjk4.jpg

BestOfMontana_125_zpszqzqegre.jpg

BestOfMontana_126_zpstssdbaqw.jpg

Black Butte at 10,000 ft was the pinnacle of the ride for me, and everything else before it was still awesome!
BestOfMontana_127_zpsa5awsd7y.jpg

BestOfMontana_128_zpsr1q1r7sq.jpg

Montana has way too much gravel , looks like it's spread on back roads every year the only good thing about that is they are still good when wet . Idaho on the other hand has the worlds most fabulous scenery . It took me an hour to go 10 miles along the Salmon river , there are too many Kodak moments along there . It's on my bucket list when I have a couple months to spend exploring . Spent my time riding in the Bitteroot valley and adjoining hills and need to spend a week or so in the Big Hole . SEYA

Wow, talk about make me homesick! I am from Hamilton in the Bitterroot just south of Stevensville. From Lolo to the Big Hole to Shoup, I spent many years roaming those mountains, wish I was back there again. Looks like you guys had an awesome trip, thanks for sharing!

Back