• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bad Choices Make Great Stories - The Rundown 2016

Fresh fish on arrival

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 263
Tacos every afternoon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 244
You can attach up to five images PER post ;-)

Wow! Fantastic pics, Rich, Vinny, and all! :popcorn:

Last edited:
Can't believe I almost didn't go on this ride. Thanks again to everyone who made it possible. Great riding with the folks I got to spend some time with. In no particular order -

weballen_002.jpg

Allan on the start of a beautiful, all day ride

webjose_allen.jpg

Allan pushing Jose after a dead battery

webnick.jpg

Nick (I believe?) in front of our hotel in Jalpan

webjalpan.jpg

Guard dogs at the mission in Jalpan

websteve_002.jpg

Steve somewhere

websteve_001.jpg

Steve again

webg.jpg

G

weber.jpg

Met a couple who were riding their bicycles from Canada to Patagonia in Xilitla. And here we were, thinking we were tough on our motorcycles...

webjorge_x_1.jpg

Jorge in Xilitla

websunrise.jpg

Sunrise from our hotel Posada James -

webjorge_swing_1.jpg

Jorge on one of the epic rope swings

webme_waterfall.jpg

TexasPatrick

webscott_yucca.jpg

Scott in what would be a national park in America. Can anyone send me the location of this place? I know more than a handful of people rode this route. Very curious to go back and spend some time here

weballen_003.jpg

Allan again

webscott_002.jpg

Scott or Allan.

webjose_002.jpg

Jose on some dirt switchbacks. Dude killed it on that S10

webscott_001.jpg

Scott

webjose.jpg

Jose

webjose_truck.jpg

We found out many, many times why you don't fly around blind corners in Mexico. Dogs, sheep, cows, mules, turkeys, chickens, children, sticks, pot holes, rock slides, broken down cars, slow cars, ox, soccer balls and giant trucks taking up the entire road are just some of the dangers I personally saw.

webscott_allen.jpg

Allan and Scott

webme_beer.jpg

webscott_locals_1.jpg

Scott. Got another photo of you too Scott, without the kids running through. I'll get to it this week :)

webcave.jpg

I broke off the group to do some solo exploring in the mountains. I spent a day and a half by myself riding in the mountains and exploring caves/waterfalls. It was fun trying to get directions, a hotel room and food by myself. My guide for this particular cave was Tomas. He is in the lower right, to give you any sort of scale.

webtomas_cave.jpg

Tomas, in total darkness. 5 second exposure, lit by flashlights. You can see the cave exit behind this giant column. I wish he were standing further back...

webtomas_cave_002.jpg

Another cave

I've got about 100 more photos that I've selected to edit and I'll share those by weeks end. If you want to read more in-depth captions, I'm slowly going through my trip on my instagram account. www.instagram.com/texaspatrick or @texaspatrick

Re: Cartel trail

Had a great time, good food, beautiful countryside, fun people to hang with...

DSCN0398_zpsb4n6ikz4.jpg

Was this near Sotano De las Golondrinas?

I rode up there solo on Friday. Looks pretty similar to the road I was on at least -
rr.jpg

Red Brick road

Pat,
I was in the little town La Morena..I think. Your road looks similar except I do not see the same pattern. This road looked like it was made with Terracotta stones in a half moon mosaic pattern. It was north of Aquismon.

Day 3: Exploring the mountains east of Agua Zarca

During last year’s recon we discovered a dirt road running between the towns of Agua Zarca and Tilaco. The road was not on my Bici map or my Mexico topo map, but it was on the E32 map and I could see it on Google Earth. Sure enough, the road was there and it was a very special find. I called it the most beautiful dirt road I’ve ever ridden. The valley it crosses is absolutely gorgeous. I highly recommend that you ride it when you are in the area. It's a road I would definitely ride again.

As I studied the E32 map further I saw other dirt roads in the same area and decided that on my next trip to Jalpan that I would spend some time exploring those roads. Well, today was the day. The representatives of the Mississippi Mafia – David and Lee – elected to join me so after a hearty breakfast we headed east toward unknown roads.

20160411-_1140368-XL.jpg

Sure enough, the roads on my map actually existed on the ground. And the views were spectacular.

20160411-_1140323_4_5_6_7-XL.jpg

20160411-_1140328_29_30_31_32-XL.jpg

20160411-_1140333_4_5_6_7-XL.jpg

20160411-_1140338_39_40_41_42-XL.jpg

20160411-_1140343_4_5_6_7-XL.jpg

20160411-_1140348_49_50_51_52-XL.jpg

20160411-_1140353_4_5_6_7-XL.jpg

Unfortunately, though the views were excellent there were way too many people for my liking. Every mile or three we passed through a village or small community or a house or two. There were also lots of people out on the road, walking to the next village or the village we just passed through or working on the side of the road at some task or another. I prefer more remote areas so while I enjoyed the dirt roads and the great views I wouldn’t seek this area out again due to the high concentration of population.

Rivers are one of the biggest riding challenges when trying to cross from one mountain range to another. This area is no different - the Rio Amajac is the major river you have to find a way to cross to reach Hwy 85. My Google Earth recon showed a bridge over the Amajac at Tamon but if the bridge wasn’t actually there it meant a long ride back to Agua Zarca. Luckily, the bridge was there because I don’t think we could have ridden our bikes across the river.

20160411-_1140370_1_2_3_4-XL.jpg

We enjoyed a spirited ride on great pavement back to Jalpan with a stop at one of the local roadside vendors for some cold water and delicious ice cream.

20160411-_1140375-XL.jpg

Back in Jalpan we discovered a motorcycle taking the ride of shame. I will leave this story for others to tell (or not).

20160412-_1140378-XL.jpg

20160412-_1140379-XL.jpg

20160412-_1140380-XL.jpg

In retrospect, I had a very good day but the area we rode is not one I would care to explore further because I think that entire area is probably more population-dense than I prefer. Others might find it completely okay due to the great scenery and fun class 1 roads.

Last edited:
Wow! What a great trip! Been wanting to do that for a long time and now that I have, I intend to go back often.

On the first day we had lunch in Galeana before heading to Tula. The highway to Galeana is amazing and I ended up doing it again on the way back to the border.

I hooked up with Bob (Tricepilot) for an amazing tour of the Franciscan Churches of the Sierra Gorda founded by the Spanish priest Junipero Serra. It was a rewarding but long day where we saw all 5 churches. The last one was a bear as we hit temps of 113 degrees riding to Conca.
25953927043_06e16d68bd_z.jpg
Mission Tour by Charles Nevle, on Flickr

Bob was a great tour guide, though he did have some help.
26530845346_b8360b09df_z.jpg
Mission Tour by Charles Nevle, on Flickr

Day 4 I hooked up with Bob again and we hit Las Pozas and met up with some other riders doing the tour and taking advantage of the cool water.

25951862804_79d328ccb3_z.jpg
Las Pozas - Xiltia by Charles Nevle, on Flickr
26556805775_591b9ae122_z.jpg
Las Pozas - Xiltia by Charles Nevle, on Flickr

The next day I decided to head out on my own based on a recommendation from JT and some Bimbo by the pool, I decided to head out to Rio De Catorce, a beautiful old silver mining town located at nearly 9,000 feet.

Getting advice:
26464504612_8d8b104898_z.jpg
Jalpan by Charles Nevle, on Flickr

Rio De Catorce:
25953862593_57bb1c4d52_z.jpg
Real De Catorce by Charles Nevle, on Flickr
26490680201_520b958522_z.jpg
26490757101_0ca757a789_z.jpg
26530827306_4db3018aef_z.jpg

All too soon it was time to head back to the border.
26283979930_40dd46206b_z.jpg
iPhone Pics 2713 by Charles Nevle, on Flickr

Great trip, and got to make some great new friends! Thanks again to all those that did the recon trip and of course Rich for setting this up and Bob for providing advice on trip planning and preparation.

More pics of the trip can be found here:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskxVqTws

Last edited:
Great pics ( don't miss his pics on the additional link) . It was nice to meet you and I'm glad you survived the ride with those wild and crazy guys .

Peter & Sid

i-ktVx3hx-L.jpg

Two of my great amigos, Peter and Sid

Fun evening at Tio Lucas in San Miguel de Allende

I just had to make a break from Jalpan and head west. to San Miguel and Guanajuato

Charles and Bob H decided to come along to ride the twisties west of Japlan and on to visit these two iconic Mexico towns

Coordinated a stay with everyone at Posada de las Monjas, then out to meet RTW rider Kevin Hindricksen for dinner

Couple more photos -

2webace_mountains_4.jpg

ACE!!!

2weballan_scott_puente_de_dios.jpg

2websteve_dad.jpg

Folks at the Puente de Dios

2webken_jeff.jpg

Jeff and Ken

2webjeff_puente_de_dios.jpg

Jeff

2webme_puete_de_dios2.jpg

2webladder_puente_de_dios.jpg

OSHA is this ok?

2webbridge_puente_de_dios.jpg

2websunset_house.jpg

Not a bad view. Love all of the cactus they planted outside

2webscott_mountains.jpg

Scott

2websteve_scott_mountain.jpg

Scott and Steve

2webace_mountains.jpg

Ace

2webace_mountains_2.jpg

Ace again

2webmountain_road.jpg

Unreal. So **** good. Twisty dirt roads in the mountains.

2webace_mountains3.jpg

Ace & more Ace

2webscott_beer_bike.jpg

Scott without the locals

2weballan_mountains.jpg

Allan

2webscott_mountains_801.jpg

Scott

2webscott_mountains800.jpg

Scott again

2webscott_moutains802.jpg

Big grins

Still feeling very fortunate about being able to experience Mexico like this. We are all very, very lucky.

Still have more photos to edit :giveup:

Patrick,

How do you carry your camera gear? Did you have just the 17-35 and 70-200 lenses? Were you carrying a flash and/or tripod as well?

Back