• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Broken Bow Day Trip

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Broken Bow is only two hours north of Longview, so we've been waiting for a sunny day to scope it out.

With two bikes loaded we left Longview ~8:30.

IMG_1408_zpsdevhafur.jpg

Fortunately we found a shady spot at Beaver's Bend State Park to park the truck for the day and get ready.

IMG_1409_zpsm4gsllqs.jpg

We made a counter-clockwise loop around the lake. Most of the South, East, and North side can be done on dirt roads. The west side was a winding 259 strip of blacktop back to the truck.

The log traffic is idled on Sunday. Good for us...

IMG_1412_zpsjmnocapt.jpg

Lots of lower water bridges and small water crossings.

IMG_1455_zps9nyrgygv.jpg

IMG_1444_zpsl3edk3z8.jpg

My best iron-man / walk-on-water rendition.

IMG_1434_zpsteiuuhn4.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsurdtsfef.jpg

Plenty of hills in eastern Oklahoma.

IMG_1454_zpsd2ghkps5.jpg

nice pics & write up. Family used to camp at that park when I was a kid back in the early 70s.

Yup, pretty area there. Some of the V-Rod folk used to have the Spring Fling Rally at some cabins just North of Hochatown, nice places at reasonable rates, good food at reasonable prices in Hochatown, and good "street" riding, too. I especially like the dive down into the valley on 259, a few miles further North.

I'm super jealous. I was up there Mother's Day and did a 9 mile hike.(really good hiking if you like that sort of thing) I knew the dual sport riding would be awesome around there. Gotta go back, leave the hiking boots and take the pig.

I'm super jealous. I was up there Mother's Day and did a 9 mile hike.(really good hiking if you like that sort of thing) I knew the dual sport riding would be awesome around there. Gotta go back, leave the hiking boots and take the pig.

I wouldn't quite call that dual sport riding. I would call that gravel road riding. :rider:

Nonetheless, love the area. I spend many a weekends in southeastern Oklahoma.

I wouldn't quite call that dual sport riding. I would call that gravel road riding. :rider:

Nonetheless, love the area. I spend many a weekends in southeastern Oklahoma.

Well how would you describe dual sport riding, then?

Well how would you describe dual sport riding, then?

I feel like there has to be some trail element in addition street/gravel roads. If I can drive the Nissan Altima down it, that's not really dual sport.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 226
Attachments are loading on at a time.

While I enjoy riding dirt roads in east Texas occasionally, I don't think that qualifies as dual sport. Certainly sand and slick mud makes it entertaining and more dual sport. Add some real trails and then your on to something.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 227
Attachments are loading on at a time.

While I enjoy riding dirt roads in east Texas occasionally, I don't think that qualifies as dual sport. Certainly sand and slick mud makes it entertaining and more dual sport. Add some real trails and then your on to something.

Shut your face with that nonsense. Lol. You certainly don't speak for ALL dirt roads around here. This is CR 3219, (I think)
IMG_20160607_144740001_zpss28mfmqo.jpg

IMG_20160607_150055964_zpsch2ldeg9.jpg

IMG_20160607_150127847_zps1tnbp9ne.jpg

IMG_20160607_150733294_zpsgki8udyl.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a well spent day to me. Thanks for the link to the route. I'll file that away someplace.

Last edited:
If I can drive the Nissan Altima down it, that's not really dual sport.

Thanks for the comments. Will be sure to post the next ride report in the street section. Geez...can't a guy just share a little about his ride with his wife off the pavement without clouding a thread with tit for tat over what is "dual sport". :doh:

Thanks for the comments. Will be sure to post the next ride report in the street section. Geez...can't a guy just share a little about his ride with his wife off the pavement without clouding a thread with tit for tat over what is "dual sport". :doh:

FWIW, I already got your .gpx loaded, and am contemplating a date to go.

I really appreciate you taking the time to share this.

I've ridden "dual sport" with KirbyKajin. Most on this forum would likely classify his pace as "racing"! He put me and my DR through the wringer, and it was quite rewarding. But not for those seeking a scenic country ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back