• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Some Days Are Better

_RG_

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Little solo stuff today. Hermosa Park rd. from Cayton CG over the hump to Hermosa (just north of Durango).

Hermosa.jpg

Some folks here may recognize this spot.

DSCN2136.jpg

Aspens are starting to turn at higher elevations.

DSCN2135.jpg

Fantastic... We leave this Thursday for 10 days in Purgatory. Glad to see the snow is a non issue at higher elevations... I am going to be doing as much riding in that area and silverton, etc as I can on my own...

Great pics

Yep...yep...new wheels. Gotta run down to Cortez in the morning to get some oil and filters for the first change :doh:

Rode the little bikes today. Bear Creek trail... totally awesome when dry - not so much when wet. The trail starts off as a gentle bruin.... and then it grows teeth - long and sharp. This vid is the first part of two. Kinda long but if you have the time and bandwidth then enjoy. :sun:

Taming the Bear

Last edited:
Fantastic... We leave this Thursday for 10 days in Purgatory. Glad to see the snow is a non issue at higher elevations... I am going to be doing as much riding in that area and silverton, etc as I can on my own...

Great pics

Wonderful timing on your trip. Colors are changing from day to day. The radar showed some snow in high places east of Telluride today. Can't last with the current temps, though. We rode up Corkscrew to Anamas Forks and then down Cinnamon into Silverton yesterday. Saw several motorcycles at the forks but quads are getting sparse. Crowds are thinning out quick.

Ok I am pissed. I really want to ride this country but after installing all the new SW-Motech luggage today I am 1000% sure the AT is not doing this kind of country. I love the AT but I am really tempted to swing by Dallas and pick up. An slightly used KTM 500 exc to take on the trip.... Where exactly was this video I want to check it. Out on BaseCamp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep...yep...new wheels. Gotta run down to Cortez in the morning to get some oil and filters for the first change :doh:

Rode the little bikes today. Bear Creek trail... totally awesome when dry - not so much when wet. The trail starts off as a gentle bruin.... and then it grows teeth - long and sharp. This vid is the first part of two. Kinda long but if you have the time and bandwidth then enjoy. :sun:

Taming the Bear

You should write a book on how to semi-retire :clap:
Congratulations on the new bike. Someday I'll talk to you about the difference of the 1190 vs GSM, I think I know the answers.
That video was awesome . I watched it twice . If it was wet I think it would be a killer. It's funny how some videos don't need music or commentary . I was white knuckleing my phone at times:rider:
Thanks for taking the time to post / rubbing it in.

Taming the Bear

Nice! Who left all those big rocks at trees on the trail? :lol2:

Ok I am pissed. I really want to ride this country but after installing all the new SW-Motech luggage today I am 1000% sure the AT is not doing this kind of country. I love the AT but I am really tempted to swing by Dallas and pick up. An slightly used KTM 500 exc to take on the trip.... Where exactly was this video I want to check it. Out on BaseCamp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your AT can do a LOT of stuff around here... most jeep roads are wonderful for seeing the back country and can be seriously challenging on the bigger bikes. You'll have a blast running the Alpine Loop or COBDR stuff. That video is Bear Creek trail. It's a whole nuther category of single track. I would NEVER try to run such stuff on the 1190. Little bike territory, for sure. A 500 would be ideal. Send me your email address and I'll shoot you the GPS track for it.

I just looked at the map, this is to road that starts at the bottom of the ski area, our house we are renting is across the street from there. I road my mountain bike up there last year and did the Hermosa Creek trail down to Hermosa and was planning on making the roads back in there my first getting to know the AT ride. Trying to map some loops from there to Telluride then up to Silverton, etc...

Seeing your video has me almost ready to drive up to Dallas and buy a slightly used KTM 500 EXC and take that with me too. I know the AT is going to be a blast, but no way is it a single track bike and it appears there is amazing single track up there!!!

Are you staying in the area or just ridding through ?

We hit the road early this Thursday morning and should be there Friday afternoon with a first ride for Saturday! Actually need to ride into Durango to get a new rear tire for the AT. The TKC80 that I ordered several weeks ago turned out to be a 17" tire and didn't fit my 18" rim. The paper label on the tires said 18", but I didn't take time to read the actual tire until I had removed the wheel and tire only to say crap, and had to remount the old tire so I could use the bike... It was too late to get anything shipped to me in time so I had to reach out to a shop in Durango for a new tire, going to let them install it since I won't have my tire machine with me there LOL

Great Vid RG!

I second Vinny's request for the book on how to semi-retire.

Hows the sump protection on the new big bike? ;-)

Michael, sent you the gpx for Bear Creek. I made a loop of it along with some other single track but you have the option to bail onto a "road" after BC. Lay it up on your topo and you'll see what I mean.

Hermosa park rd. will be a great place to get acquainted with your AT. From Hermosa the road is a dust fest until you get past the park. That's where things start to change... and they keep right on changing until you come down the hill into Cayton CG. After the HPR, you can make a great loop by heading north toward Telluride and going back over Ophir pass. It's pretty doggone rocky up near the pass this year so be ready to bounce around some. Once over the pass it becomes a gentle coast down hill to 550 just north of Silverton. If you go for gas in Silverton, stop by the Funnel Cake Factory in town. The owner is a solid dirt rider and a great guy. And he makes a dang good funnel cake, too. :eat:

Brian, if anything gets past that bash plate then we've got way bigger problems to deal with. :doh:

A few happy snaps from yesterday's adventures. Brent from Katy showed up with a 450 so we invited him to ride along with us. :trust: Heck of a nice guy but I think this may have been his first time to ride single track in western Colorado. :eek2:

bear3.jpg

These ferns are about waist high and in places they turn an orange/red. Very colorful to cruise through.

DSCN2146.jpg

bear4.jpg

DSCN2148.jpg

DSCN2154.jpg

DSCN2143.jpg

:giveup::giveup::giveup::giveup::giveup::giveup:
DSCN2155.jpg

Seems everyone is late with the required responses to a thread like this so I'll kick it off.

You suck.

In the immortal words of Elvis: "Thankya, thankya, thankya."

All manner of encouragement appreciated. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Few from today's little jaunt up to Telluride, over Imogene and lunch in Ouray.

The high country got a good dusting of snow yesterday. Won't be long. One of the local folks told us that Ophir pass is now closed.

DSCN2157.jpg

One of the clearest days I've been on Imogene. Visibility was off the scale. Wind was howling up there and 42 degrees. Took pictures, jumped on bikes and headed DOWN quick.

DSCN2160.jpg

Seems like the aspens are changing colors by the hour. Gold, red, purple. Very noticeable from day to day.

DSCN2166.jpg

Alrighty... here's the third and final chapter in the Bear Creek trail episode. Brent is running in front of me on his 450. Please show compassion on his unfortunate situation. :rofl: The switchbacks you see are not large - basically come in with momentum, bring the front wheel up and try to throw it one way or the other while staying on the gas. Sounds great in theory. :shrug: If not for the benevolent placement of a smallish pine tree, I'd probably still be rolling down the hill... you'll see. :lol2:

There is way more to the trail but after getting on top, it becomes a log hopping festival. Kinda boring to watch so it ended up on the cutting room floor.

http://youtu.be/n-NAJ_cihw0

Awesome share. At 8:00, I just assumed you were waterproofing the finish on your bike with pine resin. :shrug:

Back