• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Some Days Are Better

Run over to Kebler Pass and check out the largest Aspen population in the world and see how they are coming along, will you?

Grab a pizza at The Secret Stash in CB while you are there. Mmmmmm.

Run over to Kebler Pass and check out the largest Aspen population in the world and see how they are coming along, will you?

Grab a pizza at The Secret Stash in CB while you are there. Mmmmmm.

Might get to do that. Looking at running the COBDR up to the Wyoming border. I think the trail goes through CB. Thanks for the tip on good grub. :eat:

Oh heck yea! That was just a quick pine waxing for the bike. Happens here pretty much every year. Special pines and all... really great wax. :lol2:

How did the big KTM handle going up/down Imogene?

We just returned from Utah and Colorado. Trees in Utah were incredible in many places. Coming down 149 from Lake City there were also lots of trees in full color mode.

1190 is amazing technology. When riding it's a 150 hp dirt bike. Like the klr, its weight becomes an asset. Me and traction control are still coming to terms. :trust:

Since I had the good fortune to connect with RG in Purgatory for two killer days of riding together I can say with 100% certainty RG did amazing things with his big bike! In fact in two days of riding the backcountry together we only saw one other person on a big bike, lots of small bikes but only one other daring individual (or stupid) ridding the harder trails on big bikes.

I think RG and I were both surprised how well each of our bikes did in the rough stuff. The KTM was built for that kind of country and I am totally amazed at how well the AT did. Luckily the day before we rode I jacked up the suspension and increased rebound so it did darn good.

RG and I were talking yesterday about how little bikes use superior suspension and lighter weight to erase many of mistakes the human riders make, were the big bikes use their shear mass to plow through mistakes and you somehow end up on the other side of trouble still going in the right direction.

My hat is off to RG, had a blast, rode more killer miles in two days with him than I ever would have in a week by myself. Will post some pictures once I have a decent internet connection. By the way my brand new rear tire is wasted after less than 500 miles following RG!!!

Picture uploads to going so slow, here are a couple

Top of Ophir Pass

20160920_001106515_iOS_zpsu1op7uvn.jpg

20160918_210844692_iOS_zps7yzmcloh.jpg

I think this is someplace on Hermosa Creek Road

20160918_175805538_iOS_zps4dhqwj9d.jpg

I was told last week that Hermosa Creek Rd was closed. No reason was given though and I did not get over there to check.

I remember someone at the local motorcycle shop mentioned it might be closed, but it wasn't. I have a feeling it was wet the previous week, but it was open for me :)

Of course it appears there are 3 days of rain now :(... We are here till Monday morning, but it may be too muddy Sat and Sun for much riding, thank goodness RG worked me hard the first two days we were here.

Finally made back to the land of internet. :clap:

Yep, KubotaMikeTX and I had a hoot. Two solid days of weather made to order and everything needed to squeeze every last ounce out of them.

Here are a few pix that don't even begin to show stuff like we saw it... but they'll have to do.

BDR2.jpg

Can this chap ride? Try following him on that AT sometime. BTW, the AT performed flawlessly. It has solid dirt legs and gave up nothing to the 1190. Would I like to have one? In a heartbeat.

DSCN2178.jpg

DSCN2177.jpg

DSCN2175.jpg

california2.jpg

DSCN2176.jpg

DSCN2196.jpg

Ophir Pass is a little chunky this year up near the top.

ophir2.jpg

DSCN2193.jpg

Here are a few pix that don't even begin to show stuff like we saw it... but they'll have to do.

After returning from our recent trip to Utah and Colorado and having taken somewhere over 1600 pics, Sarah is finding out this bitter reality... ;-) Now she gets to learn how to go through and try to pic out the good ones.

Here's a quick video of running up Ophir Pass from the west side. The last part shows KubotaMikeTX shredding the final leg of it on the mighty Africa Twin.

[ame="http://youtu.be/uFKjbnSuSJQ"]OPHIR SHRED - YouTube[/ame]

At least the upside of digital is you can do it far more easily than back in the day. :clap:

At least the upside of digital is you can do it far more easily than back in the day. :clap:

And cheaply. No having to print them to find out what is good.

I'm super duper jealous today. Yesterday Facebook and Timehop decided to remind me that a year ago yesterday I was in the saddle headed west in search of turning Aspens. Today a year ago I was having a heck of a day hitting some of the major sights such as Pikes Peak and peak to peak highway. Wish I was there instead of here working.

After returning from our recent trip to Utah and Colorado and having taken somewhere over 1600 pics, Sarah is finding out this bitter reality... ;-) Now she gets to learn how to go through and try to pic out the good ones.

Bet she could pick out a good many and write up an awesome ride report around them. AMA magazine submission?

Some more random stuff...

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_3131.jpg

What the heck is this thing?

IMG_3210.jpg

Here's a destination along the way for folks on the road. In Cimarron NM is the old St. James Hotel. Great western history here. Each room is furnished in period fashion and named after folks who stayed in them. Wyatt Erp, Doc Holiday, Bat Masterson, etc. Except for room #18. It's seriously locked and no one stays in it. Quite haunted, you see. :eek2:

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3260.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

IMG_2999.jpg

Great pics and stories RG, thanks for sharing! Sure would like to have joined you guys on my Twin for some of this. Congratulations KabotaMike, I haven't gotten mine quite that far off in it yet. But from what I have done, it seems like it is a very capable adventurer. I'm with you RG. Haven't yet come to terms with the traction control. Basically just wish it wasn't there at all.

Back