• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Yeah - I can fix that...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
A quick blast up to Ghost Ranch this past Saturday evening and a little camping. I didn't take a bike, but Jacob decided to go play around on his XR4 a bit. And along with playing comes falling down. Apparently, it was a doozie and the end result was his shift lever broke off the shaft. Actually, the shaft broke at the splines for the shift lever. Dody (being the resourceful guy he is) said "Yeah - I can fix that". :deal:

This may be my last 'hurrah' for the 15 year old Marmot Inner Sanctum 4-season tent. This thing has protected me and others all over the country for the past 15 years. But the waterproof seam tape has finally decided to give up the ghost and the rain fly has begun to get 'tacky' to the touch.
i-gJWgkmG-XL.jpg

Now here on the other hand are a couple of much newer tents. Rusty and Brian packing up
i-3wmf54z-XL.jpg

Oh, yeah... back to the story....
Here's Jacob with the shift lever and the little nub of a splined connecting shaft
i-QjmmCH7-XL.jpg

This 'fix' looks serious
i-gmmv4z9-XL.jpg

Here's the close up of what Dody and Jacob were dealing with
i-9CMqBcZ-XL.jpg

Dody doing a test fit and a little cleaning of the parts
i-dH6Rvsr-XL.jpg

After much discussion, Jacob agreed to have it fixed in the field fully recognizing he would have a difficult time getting the side case off in the future, and the heat transfer 'might' weaken the shaft seal
i-Wm2bFGp-XL.jpg

Subscribing to the 'bigger hatchet' theory of convincing the shift lever to go back on what little remaining splines were left
i-6JsFpHk-XL.jpg

"I am a professional so don't try this at home"
i-GGFp48m-XL.jpg

Not much turning back now
i-6kwH6dK-XL.jpg

i-8xcpMfS-XL.jpg

And the finished job
i-QFCgLpP-XL.jpg

Jacob (still in his morning PJ's) and his newly fixed shift lever
i-PM9Zdrt-XL.jpg

Alas, the shift lever was fixed but the front brake seemed to have suffered a failure during the fall and Jacob had little front brake capability. So instead of riding the bike back to Austin, we just loaded it up in the truck for the trip back to his place.
i-fVm4T3n-XL.jpg

Back