• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Seven Bridges Road

_RG_

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
The Seven Bridges ride was an addition to Kickstand~Prophet’s monthly Meet n Greet n Eat event. It started from the Granger lake Willis Creek park where hard-core moto campers gathered to share a great time around the campfire.

The ride loop runs about 145 miles and includes a good many one lane semi-paved farm roads and a whole bunch of sharp right angle turns. There are also several fun miles of gravel and even a few of righteous dirt.

Four of us ventured out to see what the day would bring. Texas Mud Taco on his mighty DR650, Builtea rolled up on his Ural hack, JT on his V-Strom and me hanging onto the 1190.

First on our route was the Chandler or 366 bridge.

DSCN2234.jpg

DSCN2236.jpg

DSCN2238.jpg

We looped back toward the lake and went into Taylor park to visit the once haunted Hoxie bridge. There’s also another historic bridge there called the Friendship bridge. It’s further in the woods than we had time to explore this trip.

DSCN2240.jpg

DSCN2241.jpg

After crossing the Granger Lake dam, we rode out to the Donahoe bridge. Although known to be pretty much gone, the bridge was originally a cable type suspension bridge. All that remains are a few heavy cables grown over and almost invisible.

Many historic bridges that remain were built near the turn of the century. Judging by the tonnage, you can bet iron was a whole lot less expensive back then.

The Cummins crossing bridge is a different and interesting design among the group. JT was on the new bridge nearby as I went down to the old structure. He watched just below as a bobcat came from one side of the creek, crossed over a small log that went across and disappeared into the woods on the other side. Pretty cool stuff.

DSCN2251.jpg

DSCN2249.jpg

Next was the Bryant Crossing bridge over the Little river. This is a great bridge but it’s days are clearly numbered.

DSCN2244.jpg

DSCN2247.jpg

DSCN2245.jpg

Next was the Sugar Loaf bridge over the San Gabriel. This is a fine old bridge that is recently restored and makes a great stop along many dualsport rides.

DSCN2254.jpg

DSCN2257.jpg

As we started the inbound leg of our loop on a really nice stretch of dirt, my TPMS started flashing. Not just a low tire pressure message but one saying “PUNCTURE!” That was different. I switched over to pressure readings and watched my rear tire drop from 42 to 17 psi in the span of a few hundred yards. OK, I believe! Time to stop.

This is another of those flats that I couldn’t duplicate with a hammer and all day to try. Little triangular piece of flint rock about the size of my fingernail had buried itself in a mostly worn out TKC80 rear. Chris heard it and found the culprit within moments of getting stopped.

After dealing with the flat it was getting late and the days are short so with our dignity well intact we slabbed it back to the camp just in time to roll in on headlights.

The track includes two more stops that we missed. Another historic bridge and the old house where the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was filmed will be reason enough to make this loop another day.

Thanks to a great group of riders for a fine day. On two wheels.

The GPX file for this trip is available HERE.

Last edited:

Where?

Thanks for sharing. I was thinking of trying to up for the afternoon and ride, but it just wasn't going to happen.

No linky.

Cool report. I like the old bridges. The new and improved concrete replacement bridges are just so bland and boring...

Great stuff. Have to remember this one for spring.

Thanks RG, looks like a neat ride. Wish I could have been there earlier. Will do at a later date for sure. Thanks for the gpx file.

Two points:
Steve Young, who wrote "Seven Bridges Road:, died this last year. I knew him many years back when he was here in Austin recording "Switchblades".
AND these Texas Bridges are slowly getting the restoration they deserve, like the Piano Bridge in Dubina did in2013.

Two points:
Steve Young, who wrote "Seven Bridges Road:, died this last year. I knew him many years back when he was here in Austin recording "Switchblades".
AND these Texas Bridges are slowly getting the restoration they deserve, like the Piano Bridge in Dubina did in2013.

..and Glen Frey, who sang one (of the five) vocals on the live version that made the song famous, passed away this year too.

That Sugar Loaf Bridge is near the highest point in Milam County. Sugar Loaf Mountain (hill). I love CR 264 north to Branchville and up 264A to 255, If its muddy it will be tough. Beautiful Little River bottom agricultural land.
The Hoxie bridge was haunted for sure before Grainger lake. They say they hung some prisoners off it, and...! I saw something one night we were out there trippin, in 1968 or 69, it was spooky.
They say Hoxie was responsible for a lot of young couple marriages. Romantic or just isolated I guess.
They flooded paradise and put up a lake.
I enjoyed the ride with a side, the burger I had was marginal, should have snared a CFS, at the LD.
Thanks Prophet.

Looks like a great area to ride in - I may do it myself before it gets too hot. Thanks for the pics and gps files.

Took this route a couple of weeks ago. Nice ride, and there are a lot more dirt roads once you get pushed off route in Val Verde area. There was a truck accident that led me to finding some cool alternatives.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back