• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 Around the Bend

1658 miles on the truck, most pulling the RV
Barrels of gasoline to get there
Three days travel for three days riding
Getting to ride and spend time with old friends and new.
Worth it!

I already posted a few of my pics from Thursday - here is my full imgur album for this trip (excluding the "gory" pics - that is the next post):
http://imgur.com/a/fuoxM (feel free to share/post these wherever - lots of pics, mostly rear facing helmet cam)

Friday we decided to do the top part of the Adventure Challenge route - North County, Hen Egg Road, South County, Old Ore, and then follow some of the same tracks as Thursday but in the opposite direction. We got an early start, and made excellent time.

We started off with myself, JQ1.0, COPB8, kubotamiketx, DLDR, and two other riders who are on the forum but not active (and I believe I've already pointed out that I am terrible with names). Had a lot of fun through the first section but unfortunately kubotamiketx had a relatively fast "slow leak" in his rear tire, so he decided to duck out after North County Road and took pavement back in to Study Butte.

After North County Road, the pavement to get to the good roads in the ranch is fairly boring to ride at the speed limit, but we don't want to lose access, so we suffered through it. Once off on the dirt, it was much more fun (especially when you are in front and don't have to worry about DUST).

JQ1.0 and I were really in sync, keeping a very good pace through the gravel and rock sections while he was mostly less than 25 feet behind me and in the other wheel track (except for corners). Everybody else was spread out quite a bit more, because only the 2nd guy can stay close enough to stay out of the dust. After that, you're kind of screwed. Some of the gravel sections were pretty interesting, and of course the scenery is always awesome.

COPB8 wanted to make sure he got some video of Old Ore Road, so he took the front (dust-free) position when we started that section. I think he was tired of being behind us, because he certainly led a spirited pace when he got in front of me, but we kept pace with each other well. Unfortunately, his KTM got sleepy after a couple of limited sight corners (don't you hate when your bike lays down for a nap?), and he relinquished the lead about 2/3 of the way through. I think it was probably so that I could slow him down a little. Foreshadowy moment - JQ1.0 commented after the KTM's first nap, something to the effect of "now that you've gone down, I won't feel bad when I do".

Those little plants on the side of the road have some sharp pointy parts, but they don't kill the smile:
MJp2xHe.jpg

Last edited:
Had 2 great days riding. Thanks JT, Gina and Richard for putting this together.

This is the way I found my bike when my boys parked it in my shop after hauling it back from Study Butte. Such thoughtful young men. Can't wait to thank them in person.

Attachments

• IMG_1615.JPG
    IMG_1615.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_1616.JPG
    IMG_1616.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_1617.JPG
    IMG_1617.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_1618.JPG
    IMG_1618.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 325
And now, the Rest of the Story:

Heads up - the pictures linked here are a little graphic, hence I ask that you do not link them publicly on facebook, etc. Show whoever you want to, email them, we don't care, but it's not the kind of stuff everybody wants to see.

Pics:
http://imgur.com/a/M6kyc

About 5 miles from the end of Old Ore Road, I took the lead again, and we started off well enough. JQ1.0 was behind me, but not right on my tail as before, because the terrain was a bit rougher now (although nothing that should give either of us problems). We ride together a lot, and generally if he falls much behind, he hangs back a fair amount to stay out of the dust, and it's also a bit easier to read the terrain if you can watch the rider in front of you. So I didn't worry much when I didn't see him for a few corners.

Eventually, I stopped on a longer straight and I knew it was taking a bit longer for him to catch up than normal, so I killed the bike and didn't hear any engines behind me. Uh-oh - time to backtrack. It's not the first time I've done this, and the farther you backtrack the more worried you get, because it means that the group has been stopped for a long time, which usually indicates a more serious problem. I backtracked for a few minutes, and then here comes JQ1.0 around the corner. He signaled he was OK and I waved him by. When I turned around I noticed that his saddlebag had come loose, so when he stopped to let me lead, I pulled up next to him, re-strapped his bungee cord, and asked him what happened. He told me "some little old man jumped out in front of me with a stop sign, so we had to take a little pit stop". So on we go - I know the old man, so I figured he had fallen down, but you never know, it could have been a bathroom break.

About 15 minutes or so later we got to the pavement and went on into Rio Grande Village. I filled up my bike and parked it, then came back to the store and waited for the rest of the group. He steps out and asks me if I want anything to drink, so we pick out some drinks and walk out to the picnic tables. COPB8 tells me that he went down hard, but to this point, I assumed that it was a "no-harm, no-foul" kind of fall.

We get outside and he removes his safety pullover (it has holes in the pockets so that your thumbs can stick out - it would be unsafe to have cramps from your hands being bunched up in a pocket). Shortly after several other bikers start to notice that there appears to be an arm shaped lump of hamburger meat around where the forearm meets the elbow. Apparently he went down on a couple of rocks that have not been worn smooth yet, and those rocks had said hello to a couple of layers of muscle and maybe a little bone.

We have some of our drinks and discuss how bad the wound is. It definitely needs some intense cleaning, wrapping, etc., and probably would be better if we went to the hotel to do it "more" properly. However, some of the other riders pointed out that the ranger station just down the street probably had first aid providers on-site, so we first walked down there, as a professional could probably do it better than I can.

Unfortunately they don't have first aid in the RGV ranger station, but he pointed us to the Panther Junction visitor center. We walked back to the gas station and ran some bottled water over the wounds, wrapped them up, and rode over to Panther Junction. They didn't have anybody there either, but they had a guy about 5 minutes away, and after talking to him for a few minutes, he called in a lady that was another 5 minutes or so.

BujGF6sl.jpg

By this time, we've already figured out that finding an ER somewhere that we could get at least one of the two major lacerations stitched up would be the smart way to go. The rangers also emphasize that they very seriously recommend going to Alpine and getting checked out, as there was some dirt and gravel tucked up in the wound that they weren't able to irrigate out.

So we ride to the hotel, unhitch the trailer, and drive to Alpine, ending up at the Big Bend Regional Medical Center. All the staff was very helpful and seemed to know their stuff, and we were being treated within 5 minutes of arrival. These guys were a little more "aggressive" with their cleaning, and apparently the two lacerations were more serious than we thought.. The smaller looking wound extended appx. 2.5 inches under the skin, and a surgeon was called in to take a closer look to see what we'd need to do to get it cleaned and closed up. After she poked and prodded a bit (and propped the wound open with a couple of q-tips so she could see inside), we discovered that the elbow joint was visible in the wound. She then proceeded to insert her finger into JQ1.0's arm to feel of the joint and see if the bone was actually exposed or if it still had a thin covering. You can see from one of the pictures that the opening of the wound and subsequent probing MAY not have been as soothing and relaxing as it sounds. I was not able to get a picture of her finger 2.5 knuckles deep, but trust me, she didn't have small fingers.

Unfortunately she determined that the bone was likely exposed and we needed to see an orthopedic doctor in Odessa to eliminate chance of a bone infection. Up to this point, JQ1.0 was still planning on going back to Terlingua and either hanging out around town or doing some lower stress street rides on Saturday.

Being the redneck cheapskates that we are, we asked about me picking the bikes up in Terlingua and then driving JQ1.0 up to Odessa. They said that time was an issue as a bone infection is very bad once it gets started, and that he would be making the trip in an ambulance, and likely wouldn't be getting out until Monday or Tuesday.

So once we figured out what hospital they were sending us to, I called my mother and asked what she had been up to. When she said "not much", I said "I can fix that for you". She and my brother left for Odessa about the same time I headed back to Terlingua to load up the bikes. I got back to Terlingua about 11:00, and since my mother and brother were going to beat me to Odessa anyway, I stayed the night and had breakfast so that I could let a couple of people know that we were fine, and we didn't just disappear. By the way, when they said that time was an issue, they were not kidding. He got to Odessa somewhere around midnight, and he was out of surgery around 5AM. Not 100% sure on what was done, but I believe they just opened up the wound more so that they could do a better job cleaning all the contaminants out and making sure the bone/joint was OK.

JQ1.0 is doing fine, went back home Sunday actually, and will likely be back on a motorcycle before a doctor would let him pour his own milk in the morning.

So.. his armored jacket performed perfectly. The hotel bed on which it was resting was not harmed in any way. My brother and I also purchased some additional safety gear for him when we got his bike back to Graham:

tnOsklX.jpg

This is the way I found my bike when my boys parked it in my shop after hauling it back from Study Butte. Such thoughtful young men. Can't wait to thank them in person.

THAT IS HILAROUS!!! What great 'kids'! :rofl:

Two years ago, I met some of you at the gas station. It didn't take much to convince me I wanted to return as a rider. Up to that point, my cumulative lifetime moto experience was 50 miles on a Honda 90. Long story short, I got my license, bought a bike this past November, took two training classes and even did skills work with Harley guys in a parking lot in Dallas.

I talked some other knuckleheads into going which required five to buy bikes just for this trip!

To all of you, thanks for the inspiration. And special thanks to those of you that put it together.

One of the best weeks of my life (even if I blew an engine fighting that wind)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JQ1.0 Hope you heal quickly. I'm sure you will be off those training wheels in no time.

Two years ago, I met some of you at the gas station. It didn't take much to convince me I wanted to return as a rider. Up to that point, my cumulative lifetime moto experience was 50 miles on a Honda 90. Long story short, I got my license, bought a bike this past November, took two training classes and even did skills work with Harley guys in a parking lot in Dallas.

I talked some other knuckleheads into going which required five to buy bikes just for this trip!

To all of you, thanks for the inspiration. And special thanks to those of you that put it together.

One of the best weeks of my life (even if I blew an engine fighting that wind)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:clap:

****, glad y'all were alright after the wreck! Those training wheels are **** near priceless. That's one of the funniest moto gags I've seen

Honestly, the pictures don't do it 'justice', it was far more gruesome in person.

After I pulled up behind him and got his bike upright I asked if we should take his jacket off and take a look to see if he was ok. James says no, he'd rather not see it until rides out in case it changes his mind. Tough as nails!

Honestly, the pictures don't do it 'justice', it was far more gruesome in person.

After I pulled up behind him and got his bike upright I asked if we should take his jacket off and take a look to see if he was ok. James says no, he'd rather not see it until rides out in case it changes his mind. Tough as nails!

I can understand that. Unless I just have to see it, like to stop serious bleeding, I'd rather not see it until I get somewhere where I can deal with it. I am usually good and able to deal with whatever until I reach a time/place where I know it will get taken care of, then I have a nasty tendency to go into shock as the adrenaline comes down. After whacking a deer, I was laying in the back of an ambulance and I told the guys to lay me back and get my feet up because I was about to crash. They blew me off until they noticed my BP was something like 60 over 40. Then they sprang into action! I tried telling them this wasn't my first rodeo... :doh: Must have wigged them out because they went on and on about it all the way to the hospital and even after they were wheeling me into the ER. I would have thought EMTs would have seen something like that more often :shrug:

I had a phenomenal time at my first Around the Bend Rally and enjoyed meeting everyone. Thank you to the organizers and those of you who expressed interest in the MotoScreenz we designed for the event. If anyone would still like to buy a decal you can do so by visiting our website. I look froward to the next one and rides in between.

IMG_2640_zps0rdwsz3w.jpg

IMG_2663_zpsplinbpo0.jpg

IMG_2654_zpsy4s26uth.jpg

IMG_2646_zpsp8cv4vl2.jpg

*Side Note* does anyone have a recommendation of an online photosharing host site besides Photobucket? there are so many adds it is unbearable

*Side Note* does anyone have a recommendation of an online photosharing host site besides Photobucket? there are so many adds it is unbearable

Pay up for a Smugmug account. Not only is the best photo site, you're also supporting ADVRider by default.

Lost mostly, Wed and Thurs I was solo mostly on the blacktop and Friday and Sat I tagged along with a small group to Pinto Canyon Rd and knocked some paint of the bike and to Hens Egg where I knocked some more paint of the bike. Sunday I left at 0300 to get home.

Had a fun ride from Terlingua to Maverick and River road all way to Rio Grande
Pavement back to Terlingua
"Sally" made 150 miles without a beat
Was fun

Outstanding Ben. Wish I could have made it with my CT, definitely would have ridden with you...slowly.

James is a tough guy, & kinda like the Chuck Norris of our town. He got bit a cobra 1 time. After a week of agony, the cobra died.

When Chuck Norris goes to sleep, he always checks for JQ1 under the bed.

Had a fun ride from Terlingua to Maverick and River road all way to Rio Grande
Pavement back to Terlingua
"Sally" made 150 miles without a beat
Was fun

What a beaut of a bike, that's awesome! I'm thinking you may have had the most pure fun & adventure per mile, of anyone there. Way to go Madagwane!

Back