• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dallas TX to Hot Springs Arkansas The Long Way

Reaction score
Bikes and People:
Myself and Monica: 2017 Vstrom 2 up
Jake: Indian
Jake's parents Jerry and Marlene: Harley Davidson Trike 2 up
Justin and Marisol: Kawasaki Vulcan 2 up
Peter and Sara: Peter-KLR and Sara-Vstrom
Justin2: Triumph

Peter, Sara and Justin2 saw my ride invite thread on here and decided to come along with us for the ride. I am very glad they did! They are good people, great riders, and we had a lot of fun. Everyone got along great and the entire trip was a fun adventure.

We met up in Greenville Texas about an hour North East of Dallas at 7am.

Everyone talking before the ride
86VFIwzh.jpg

Justin adjusting a minor issue with his tail light bracket on the vulcan
TKX9tMlh.jpg

Monica and I
QR1hxLZh.jpg

The chance of rain was only 20% the entire weekend. But while at the Greenville meet up spot it started raining pretty hard. We waited it out and it actually was a blessing. The rain stopped and the temps were in the mid 70's for the next couple hours.

Our route took us through Paris Texas and up to Honobia Oklahoma.

Jake on his Indian
Wcmq2S9h.jpg

Monica was taking pictures
hshSBJBh.jpg

Once in Honobia We hopped on the Indian Highway. This is the real first taste of mounain roads on this trip. Its a very windy road that intersects the Kiamichi Trail. It takes you over a mountain range into Talihina Oklahoma where we would have lunch.

We ate at Pam's Hatefully Hussy Diner. The food and service is very good. Definitely a must stop location if you are in the area.
HzXeAZih.jpg

Parked across the street from the Hatefull Hussy
i0ElQOgh.jpg

UdoDqeph.jpg

After having a satisfying lunch and a much needed break for our butts we headed towards the Talimena Scenic Byway. The start of it is only a few miles from the diner. The Talimena Scenic byway runs across the top of the Ouachita Mountains for about 60 miles from Talihina Oklahoma to Mena Arkansas. It goes up to about 2800 feet in elevation. The temperatures up there are in the low 80's even in June! And the roads are so much fun. Plenty of twisties and very scenic views with lots of look out locations to stop and take pictures.

The start of the Talimena Scenic Byway
Monica and I
JPZApgDh.jpg

The bikes:
e34mFc2h.jpg

At one of the lookout spots
From Left to Right: Jake, Peter, Sara, Justin2
B3dorAmh.jpg

My Vstrom
0xErnq4h.jpg

Monica and Sara
CeidfZrh.jpg

Peter and his KLR
7WIAgxth.jpg

RAthPxEh.jpg

Jerry, Marlene, and Monica
QMoI0Xvh.jpg

At almost all the scenic overlook stops they have a little sign with some interesting information.
NfvrMWhh.jpg

The views:
hdVhxsDh.jpg

Marisol, Sara, and Monica
JVTM13Jh.jpg

We finally rolled into Hot Springs Arkansas and checked into the hotel and took a much needed shower. Then headed out for some dinner and drinks in the downtown area. Peter and Sara stayed at an air b and b and they had a tandem Bicycle. This was my first time ever riding one of these. :rider:
rB5Or4Dh.jpg

Out on the town
rAHdSwRh.jpg

Sunday morning we got up and had breakfast. Justin and Marisol had to leave early to get back home so they didn't ride back with us. Again that 20% chance of rain forecast was WRONG. Strong storms moved through and we waited at the hotel for them to pass. We were delayed a couple hours but it all worked out in the end. The temps stayed low and we only got a little wet the first 20 miles or so. By the time we got back to the Talimena Scenic Byway it was sunny and 80 degrees.

2Sf7gunh.jpg

Standing
0wFxRuqh.jpg

We took the Talimena Scenic byway to hwy 259 and headed south into Broken Bow Oklahoma for some lunch. There is a really good Pizza place there called Grateful Head Pizza and Taproom.

Lunch at the Grateful Head Pizza place.
6hkLPdCh.jpg

The remaining 3 hours is normally pretty mundane after riding through the mountains in Arkansas. But this trip was definitely not boring. Dodging rain storms kept us on our toes. We skirted around most of them running backroads near Paris Texas but did get caught in a little rain. The great thing is most of the ride back was under 80 degrees. I saw 71 degrees at one point when a storm moved close to us.

Finally rolled into my driveway at 8:10pm.
3C8Wo0Zh.jpg

Logged 703.8 miles in two days. Im thankful for the new friends we made (Peter, Sara, Justin2) and the fun times we had. And best of all we made it home safe and sound. Even though our butts are a little sore we definitely cant wait to do it all over again! Until the next one........

Last edited:
Nice trip! Love the area. The roads around hot springs are great. I've only ventured south of there though. Spent about 7 months there for work around 2001 or so. Almost moved there if they would have let me live in Hot Springs. They wanted me to live in their serving area. I didn't want to and the pay was not enough to make me want to shake up my life that much.

Well done ride report. I never seem to think to take pictures when I go places. Hot Springs is a great area we lived just outside of Hot Springs for many year and will probably retire there as I still have a lot in Hot Springs Village

Next time take 7 North of Hot Springs and run up to Ola, grab a milkshake at the diner and then head back south one fantastic section of road

I didn't know about the diner in Ola but I've been up hwy 7 and it is a really nice road. I prefer riding in the Ozarks but to go all the way up there from Dallas you really need 3 days vs the 2 days we had. I like the pig trail and 215 which heads east from there. I really enjoy the tight 180 degree turns on 103 coming down into clarksville. The jasper area is really nice as well with the elk. The only part I haven't been to is push mountain and that far NE section of Arkansas

Everything north of I40 is generally good riding there are some good roads
south as well. I lived just outside of Hot Springs for many years and rode almost weekly up there.

I go up a few times a year for 3 day weekends for riding usually base out of Eureka Springs

Dave...man, you guys really show how fun is done! :thumb::thumb:

That thermo-meter on our stroms can be nice to have, and sometimes,... just dont want to know.

Last edited:
Back