• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

-$Sold

Please note that I also will keep the license plate when it is sold. I have had a very unpleasant experience last spring with another party. This sounds somewhat ridiculous until you have a warrant issued for your arrest for unpaid tickets and toll fees for a truck you sold 4 months earlier. That life lesson cost me about $500 and time.

You can file online with TX DMV to show transfer of vehicle when you sell one - doing this protects you from any liability like you described caused by new owner - here's the link.
https://webdealer.txdmv.gov/title/publicVehicleTransfer.do

Good luck with the sale.

You can file online with TX DMV to show transfer of vehicle when you sell one - doing this protects you from any liability like you described caused by new owner - here's the link.
https://webdealer.txdmv.gov/title/publicVehicleTransfer.do

Good luck with the sale.

Actually, I did fill out that form and emailed it to the state the day it sold. While I took the necessary steps to protect myself, I still had to deal dozens of toll fees with NTTA in addition to red light and parking tickets with the city of Dallas. Even with that proof from the state that I had sold the vehicle, it was a mess. That is a headache I won't go through again.

I do appreciate the feedback though.

Ron

Actually, I did fill out that form and emailed it to the state the day it sold. While I took the necessary steps to protect myself, I still had to deal dozens of toll fees with NTTA in addition to red light and parking tickets with the city of Dallas. Even with that proof from the state that I had sold the vehicle, it was a mess. That is a headache I won't go through again.

Ron

I totally agree.
I had a similar issue with a Jeep I traded in. Problem is they were specialty plates and I did not think about keeping them, so they went with the vehicle, and when I got my new vehicle, the specialty plate (with same tag number) went on that vehicle.

A few months later, got a parking ticket notice in the mail for the Jeep, still with the old plate on it. Had to go back to the selling dealer to get all the forms and sent it to the city. 14 years later and I still get phone calls and letters from collection agencies for that ticket.

About 2 years after that, I had a Sheriffs Deputy from Bandera County (I am in Harris County) show up at my door to question me about a drug raid that my old Jeep was involved in.
He actually had the old plates with him and told me they took them off the vehicle while impounded. I told him what the deal was and he gave me the old plates. They are still hanging on the wall in my garage, hopefully never getting involved in anything again (except they are still valid plates on my truck).

Last vehicle I sold I kept the plates, filled out and sent in the form, and printed out temp plates for the buyer.

Good luck with the sale though.

I totally agree.
I had a similar issue with a Jeep I traded in. Problem is they were specialty plates and I did not think about keeping them, so they went with the vehicle, and when I got my new vehicle, the specialty plate (with same tag number) went on that vehicle.

A few months later, got a parking ticket notice in the mail for the Jeep, still with the old plate on it. Had to go back to the selling dealer to get all the forms and sent it to the city. 14 years later and I still get phone calls and letters from collection agencies for that ticket.

About 2 years after that, I had a Sheriffs Deputy from Bandera County (I am in Harris County) show up at my door to question me about a drug raid that my old Jeep was involved in.
He actually had the old plates with him and told me they took them off the vehicle while impounded. I told him what the deal was and he gave me the old plates. They are still hanging on the wall in my garage, hopefully never getting involved in anything again (except they are still valid plates on my truck).

Last vehicle I sold I kept the plates, filled out and sent in the form, and printed out temp plates for the buyer.

Good luck with the sale though.

I know it comes across as being inflexible, but once you been down that road.....

Thanks and hopefully I can get a deal worked out soon with D-Man.

Ron

Back