• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

That's a funny looking track bike!
There were a couple of guys out there on their HD's that day. Nothing wrong with trying to become a better rider, and the instruction and experience you get at the track is the best way to become that better rider. Obviously, as you get better and become more of a track rider you'll want to get something more suitable for the track, but at this time I wanted to be able to flog that bike to it's limits and find the limits in a safe environment, and I needed a track day and didn't have a track bike at the time. Was a fun day but boy oh boy was she a pig to man handle back and forth through the corners, but I still had fun.

...I think my way of posting confuses some people. I like to hear people's experiences and opinions as sometimes they have a perspective that I hadn't thought of. If I don't start a thread about it, I don't get to hear their opinions. Hearing others opinions helps me add contextual information to my decision process. I suspect it helps others too when they read through the responses....

It only confuses me when you get plenty of good advise and then you turn around and do the opposite by buying what you were advised not to. I've seen that happen in 2 or 3 past threads. Nothing wrong with buying what you want. Just do it like 2WheelNut said and post later how it worked out or didn't for you if you choose.

And BTW you should've just kept the CRF250L (or the KLR) a little longer and bought a 17" motard wheel set for it. Not ideal by any stretch but you would've got enough taste to know whether it was your thing. Then sold both either together or separate saving the $$ depreciation loss on another bike.

Reactions: JMZ
No good reason other than just not interested at this point. Maybe one day though.

Seems like it would be fun, but might get repetitive fast.

Plus there seems to be a whole other set of stuff you have to own to go to the track.
I can tell you it's a ton of fun and the repetition is a good thing, because you can hit the same corners again and again with no gravel in them, no worries about trucks pulling out, etc, and each time work on your skills. It's a great feeling when you know you just ripped that corner faster than before. All in all, I'd recommend doing at least one day, because it's a great learning experience. You can learn more in one day than in years of riding the street. And it all translates to the street in skills and confidence. My first track day saved me on the street a short time later. And all you really need is a bike and correct protective gear. You'll want other stuff if you continue to do it, but that first day can usually be done with what you already own, or should already own. The novice level has relaxed gear requirements compared to other levels.

All riders MUST have the following gear.

• Damage free BSI, ECE, DOT or SNELL full-face helmet with face shield. (flip-up or modular full face helmets are not allowed in Levels 2 or 3)
  • After-market Helmet quick release systems are prohibited.
  • Helmet cameras are prohibited unless they are incorporated with an audio system that is securely attached to the helmet using mechanical (clamping system with screws/bolts) means. Adhesive mounts are prohibited. The only cam that we are aware of that meets this criteria is the Sena unit.
  • Riding boots that fully cover the ankle and extend upwards at least 3".
  • Gauntlet style motorcycle gloves with full wrist coverage extending past the wrist.
  • Riding Suit (one of the following)
    • One piece leather suit
    • Two piece leather suit (Two piece leather suits must zip together for Novice, Intermediate or Advanced groups)
    • Ballistic nylon suits such as Joe Rocket, AeroStitch etc. are only acceptable in the Novice Group provided they are either one piece or two piece that zip together with 50% zipper contact, reinforced and padded shoulders, elbows, hips, and knee areas
http://www.ridesmart.info/index.php?page=req.gear

Yeah...I'm out. You've worn me down. What I don't understand is why you would ask anyone what THEY like but aren't using it to inform yourself to make an opinion? Who cares what someone else likes unless they are trying to use it as advice.

Obviously someone likes them or they wouldn't be sold, you didn't need to post a question to know that.

Anyway...my bad, I thought you were asking for advice and was trying to help. Now that I know that you just seem to need to know if anyone likes something or not and that my opinion isn't useful to you, I'll spend my time elsewhere.

Reactions: JMZ
Most places rent leathers so you don't have to invest in them just to see if its something you want to do.
Also check with your insurance carrier. I bought a one piece leather suit (still have it) planning to do a track day or maybe two. I already knew my policy didn't cover racing but it also gave zero coverage on any "track" regardless of why you were there. i.e. taking MSF course, parade laps, etc.

A rider on another forum found this out the hard way. Called the company to inquire and they cancelled his policy on the spot. If they know you are riding on any track you are gone. Zero liability and zero coverage not enough for some, they will just jetison your business to prevent future squabbles.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

There were a couple of guys out there on their HD's that day. Nothing wrong with trying to become a better rider, and the instruction and experience you get at the track is the best way to become that better rider. Obviously, as you get better and become more of a track rider you'll want to get something more suitable for the track, but at this time I wanted to be able to flog that bike to it's limits and find the limits in a safe environment, and I needed a track day and didn't have a track bike at the time. Was a fun day but boy oh boy was she a pig to man handle back and forth through the corners, but I still had fun.
I'm saying your one bad hombre for spinning laps on an fjr! I assume it's like trying to ride fast single track on an xrl. Doable, but it's not what it's meant for.

The hd's I'd like to see. did they drag pegs and exhausts?

1. I see you have a jacket in your profile picture. Do you wear protective overpants as well? Do they zip to your jacket 50% around? Those things are pretty common and should be considered for riding on the street. If you have that then you meet the requirements and it's not a one time track suit.

2. Don't call your insurance company to inquire about it. If you wreck on the track, which is less likely than the street, you have two options. You can pay the damage yourself or you can call and file a claim. While I haven't yet crashed at the track, I have a few times on the street, and I have NEVER had an insurance company ask me for the street address of my accident. I had an accident, I have coverage, I file a claim. Pretty simple.

I'm saying your one bad hombre for spinning laps on an fjr! I assume it's like trying to ride fast single track on an xrl. Doable, but it's not what it's meant for.

The hd's I'd like to see. did they drag pegs and exhausts?
Eh, I'm not that much of a bad hombre. You'll see all types out at the track. I've even seen a Goldwing before. I was running in the B group and I did run out of ground clearance and got passed a lot, but I had fun and learned where that ground clearance limit was. I have full suspension upgrades on it and was hoping to get with on road/off road suspension that day to fully set it up and tune it but they weren't able to make it, so I turned laps and had fun.

One of the guys on the HD did wreck his. Thing was a tank, took very little damage.

I totally agree about getting on the track. A lot of people think they aren't into racing so they don't need to go to the track. Track days are NOT about racing. They are about improving skills in a safe (relatively) and controlled environment. I've seen all manner of bikes on the track from cruisers, touring rigs, adventurer bikes, super motards, standard naked bikes, and full blow sport bikes, etc,... Even ONE track day can do wonders for your riding skills and confidence. It really is a great experience. I watched a totally new rider on a brand new Ninja 250 go from wobbling through corners about to fall over to being totally smooth and relaxed by the end of one day. That is not unusual.

I never had to buy leathers. I had a textile suit and there was a zipper about 12" long at the base of the jacket that zipped to the pants. That was really the only big requirement. Other than buying some tap for blinkers, head light, and tail light, there really wasn't any serious expense. A lot of track days need corner workers. When I did mine, I was able to do the morning sessions and then corner work the afternoon sessions. The next time I corner worked the morning sessions, then did the afternoon sessions. I did not have to pay as a result of doing the corner work. I'm not sure if they still do that or maybe just give a discount for corner working. Even the corner working was cool though because you could really watch how different riders take the corners and you could see people improve over the course of the day.

My insurance covered my bike. I called them and explained that it was NOT racing and NOT a competitive event. It was "Closed course instruction". They had no problem with it. I can't recall if that was USAA at the time or Progressive. Either way, if you buy a used 400-450 and set it up, even if you wreck it, you aren't likely to be out much money for the bike.

On a DRZ 400 SM is it hard to convert to dual sport if you have rims and tires then back to super moto? Is the SM suspention the same travel etc. as dirt model S ? Just curious from an owner. I love the way SM's look but still like a little dirt but only want one bike instead of the three I sold in 2018.

"Key difference between the DR-Z400SM and the DR-Z400S are the inverted front fork, wide, spoke-style wheels, and 300mm diameter floating front brake ". Suzuki.com

The inverted fork means the front axle is unique to that fork. So it's doubtful that you can just slip a stock DRZ 400 21"wheel into the SM forks.
But there's ways of getting around this problem....ie, custom build the front 21" wheel using the SM center hub and bearings, spacer, etc...

But yea, this is doable. my buddies w/ KTMs, they do the s/m to enduro switcheroos w/ no probs.

the cheapest thing to do though, is to use SM wheels, mount some fat knobby tires and just go ride!

I totally agree about getting on the track. A lot of people think they aren't into racing so they don't need to go to the track. Track days are NOT about racing. They are about improving skills in a safe (relatively) and controlled environment. I've seen all manner of bikes on the track from cruisers, touring rigs, adventurer bikes, super motards, standard naked bikes, and full blow sport bikes, etc,... Even ONE track day can do wonders for your riding skills and confidence. It really is a great experience. I watched a totally new rider on a brand new Ninja 250 go from wobbling through corners about to fall over to being totally smooth and relaxed by the end of one day. That is not unusual.

I never had to buy leathers. I had a textile suit and there was a zipper about 12" long at the base of the jacket that zipped to the pants. That was really the only big requirement. Other than buying some tap for blinkers, head light, and tail light, there really wasn't any serious expense. A lot of track days need corner workers. When I did mine, I was able to do the morning sessions and then corner work the afternoon sessions. The next time I corner worked the morning sessions, then did the afternoon sessions. I did not have to pay as a result of doing the corner work. I'm not sure if they still do that or maybe just give a discount for corner working. Even the corner working was cool though because you could really watch how different riders take the corners and you could see people improve over the course of the day.

My insurance covered my bike. I called them and explained that it was NOT racing and NOT a competitive event. It was "Closed course instruction". They had no problem with it. I can't recall if that was USAA at the time or Progressive. Either way, if you buy a used 400-450 and set it up, even if you wreck it, you aren't likely to be out much money for the bike.
I couldn't agree more.

An average person will learn as much in one track day as several years of street riding.

In addition to what youll learn, you'll see first hand what a bike can do by watching other riders do things things with lesser bikes after they've learned the skill. It will give you confidence that the bike is far more capable than you had thought.

Most of the crashes I have seen on the street are cases where people could have avoided the crash if they had the skill AND confidence to ride the bike through or around the problem. Never underestimate what confidence can do in terms of unlocking your riding potential.

No good reason other than just not interested at this point. Maybe one day though.

Seems like it would be fun, but might get repetitive fast.

Plus there seems to be a whole other set of stuff you have to own to go to the track.

That last part is what has kept me from ever going to the track. It seems like the initial barrier to entry is pretty high.

That last part is what has kept me from ever going to the track. It seems like the initial barrier to entry is pretty high.
Ridesmart will provide free rental leathers if you need them. You need a full face helmet, boots and gauntlet gloves. Most have these already but you could acquire them for about $250 if you didn't.

Bottom mine, I don't think the entry barrier is as high as people make it out to be. My first day cost me $20 for gauntlet gloves at Cycle Gear. I already had the helmet and boots and RS provided the leathers.

But....full disclosure...it can get expensive after the first time. It's so much fun....you'll likely go back and eventually, you'll want better gear.

Back