• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Abilene Area

Auto

Reaction score
Was going to be in Abilene area for a dive in March and was thinking about taking the bike. Anything interesting as far as a ride in the area? TIA.

Welcome, I'm not in that area, nor do I know it very well.

What kind of bike and what kind of riding are you planning on doing? That will help alot.

There will be some smarter folks along shortly

Spent a little time out there in 19??, let's just say the previous millennium. Pretty boring unless you got your college girlfriend with you.

Head SW towards Buffalo Gap and Abilene State park then points west on 89 and some of the roads that branch off of it. Just remember it's west Texas.

Welcome to the site! :wave:

For street riding, might be best to head West and Southwest of town. Just pick the twisty looking FMs and go. For dualsport, it looks a lot the same, but with more options since you don't have to stick to the pavement.

Thanks... familiar with North of Abilene from all my time hunting out that way, just not too familiar with Abilene. Riding a 2018 Tigerr XRT, and have not switched the tires out yet.

Fort Chadbourne is pretty close. Well worth a visit if you've never been. Not that great of a ride itself...but not bad for the area.

Thanks... familiar with North of Abilene from all my time hunting out that way, just not too familiar with Abilene. Riding a 2018 Tigerr XRT, and have not switched the tires out yet.
Looks like quite a few ranch roads just south of Abilene State Park... looks like there are a fair number of trails too off some the RR's in what looks like a wind farm in the area.

Might be worth considering. :shrug:

I live in Abilene and can point you toward some good riding around here. Southwest through southeast of town are your best bet. For paved roads, a trip through Buffalo Gap, out behind the lake at the state park, and on further southwest as far as time permits is good choice. For dirt, southeast toward Cross Plains on backroads has some nice dirt roads. Nothing difficult at all. If you want to burn 4 hours, take backroads down to Waldrip Bridge....

Contact me PM and we can meet up when you're out here. I seem to be the lone Triumph rider in Abilene.

Note, I am brand new to TWT as of 10 minutes ago, so take it easy on me.

Ahhh... another fun spot to get a bike properly muddy is Kirby Lake just south of town. It's hard to find if you don't know where to look, but ther'e a way to get onto the west side of the lake where the 4x4 folks play. Great fun to just go play in the mud and dirt over there.

Here's Wadrip Brige from a few weeks ago.

And that is a great first post! :thumb:

Welcome to the site! :wave:

Thanks for the advice... not sure of schedule due to the main activity, but this definitely gives me some more ideas.

Back