• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

If only one.....

KTM 500 if I lived closer to the mountains ( hope to achieve that goal soon)
KTM 1090 in Texas since I would be taking trips to get away.

KTM 500 if I lived closer to the mountains ( hope to achieve that goal soon)
KTM 1090 in Texas since I would be taking trips to get away.
Location does have a lot to do with it. For me if I got live in Ark. as I want to but can't, a 500 would be high on the list!

Yes location would be a big part. I would think your 800GS would be a good do it all bike.

For real, we're good there, had 48 years to figure it out, lol. She actually enjoys bikes, cars, racing, just doesn't want to be on one anymore, fear is part, arthritis is also part, hurts to ride. We're good.
Agreed. I didn't mean to suggest you weren't in a good place. Sometimes a post doesn't come across as intended.

You've figured out what works for you guys and are doing it.

Wee Strom for my 1-bike scenario ....
  • not too heavy, not too light
  • bullet-proof, rugged, and easy to maintain
  • wheel size allow lotsa tire choices (all-weather-street to not-so-street)
  • add luggage and head to Key West camping with comfort (BTDT)
  • lotsa reasonably priced mods and farkles to make it yours
  • plenty of juice for lights and heated gear
And - endorsed by the Tye Dyed Texan himself, Mr2mch, who has proven it'll take you about anywhere ya want to go with a smile :rider:

it ain't exotic, it ain't orange, it don't have a roundel .... but it works, and works, and works ....... :lol2:

Last edited:
Location does have a lot to do with it. For me if I got live in Ark. as I want to but can't, a 500 would be high on the list!

We already own a house outside Denver and will eventually live there. For now, my one & only bike is my Wee. When I get to Colorado permanently, my one & only bike will be my Wee.

One for now, or one for all time...? That makes a BIG difference!

Right now, it would be my 1200 GS (or a newer version). My kids like to ride with me on the GS and go exploring. That's major quality time. After they are grown and gone... Hmmm... I still like the GS for the type of riding I most often GET to do versus the kind of riding I'd like to do more often.

Like Vinny, if I lived somewhere with more mountains, it would be a KTM 500 EXC (or the Husky version).

Really, I like having two bikes, my 1200 GS, and my 530 EXC for those times when I can get away to areas with more mountains.

I've ridden the Super Duke GT, would be a great choice, extremely fast, good handling bike.

Oh, I have no doubt. I just meant that “great bike” and “great bike for me” don’t always match up. I’m the guy who had a highly praised SV1000 that I never really liked that much.

SDGT is a great bike but be prepared to spend a bit in tires. It kind of eats rear tires when you use that power.

Also...it doesn't handle real distance that well. You can do 300 mile days on it comfortably, but 500 gets a little hard and 700 or 800 will make you not want to ride for a couple of days. I've done a 750 mile day on it once and I had fun the first 400 miles but only survived the last 350. I probably wouldn't do it again.

I don’t think I’ve ever ridden more than 150 miles in a day.

Ideally I'd have 2, designated dirt bike and adv bike of some size. Problem is I can't afford it, lol. And a lot of wrenching.
I must be missing something here. From your sig, it looks like you are one bike sale away from achieving this, which would mean you'd make money negating the can't afford it part, and it'd be less wrenching. What am I missing?

I must be missing something here. From your sig, it looks like you are one bike sale away from achieving this, which would mean you'd make money negating the can't afford it part, and it'd be less wrenching. What am I missing?
sort of, but actually have 4, one just isn't listed, and being human not the 2 I would pick if picking! lol But in near future I will be at 1 or if lucky 2, use market isn't that friendly In middle of winter!

Last edited:

Right now, it would be my 1200 GS (or a newer version). My kids like to ride with me on the GS and go exploring. That's major quality time. After they are grown and gone... Hmmm... I still like the GS for the type of riding I most often GET to do versus the kind of riding I'd like to do more often.

Like Vinny, if I lived somewhere with more mountains, it would be a KTM 500 EXC (or the Husky version).

Really, I like having two bikes, my 1200 GS, and my 530 EXC for those times when I can get away to areas with more mountains.
Not forever, just if 1 at a time!

And the 2 you have now would make a great choice, especially current models.

So...I gave my answer earlier and I still think that would have to be my one bike but if I wasn't choosing for a co-rider as well and was doing solo rides, I'd seriously consider a Honda African twin.

With upgraded suspension it is very capable off road and even into some fairly technical and hard riding but also could handle thousands of miles of pavement in a year as well if I wanted to go to Alaska or something like that. (As long as I added a secondary fuel tank) It's also fast enough to not be boring on the road and can handle some twisty riding fairly well.

It's obviously a compromise bike as all the bikes in my garage can out perform it in some area or another but would be far behind it in another area.

Bottom line, it's just a reliable bike that does a LOT of things good enough that it wouldn't limit me much. If I had to pick only one and would never have a passenger, I'd pick the AT.

Ps...the KTM 1090R would also be in the running. It would be better performance but I'm just not sure it would be as good for thousands of highway miles with a smaller dealer network and parts availability. It would definitely be something I'd consider though as I'd rather ride the KTM.

Last edited:
It's obviously a compromise bike as all the bikes in my garage can out perform it in some area or another but would be far behind it in another area.
That's the thing about picking one bike. Unless your riding interests are hyper focused, getting yourself to one single bike means making compromises somewhere. I think the AT would make very few compromises and would be high up on my list.

Also, after hearing Misterk's bike, they sound pretty darn good too.

Maybe it’s just me, but I seem to see a bunch of used AT’s on the market. Is there something I’m missing ? I have nothing against Honda at all but the percentage seems a lil high.

Maybe it’s just me, but I seem to see a bunch of used AT’s on the market. Is there something I’m missing ? I have nothing against Honda at all but the percentage seems a lil high.
noticed that too and for a newer bike there was a lot of leftover with deals. Maybe sales weren't what Honda envisioned?? Not sure about 16 but I still see 17's around or did a couple months back. I haven't looked lately.

Cycle Trader has 1,322 listed for sale, only saw one 2016 but didn't go through all of them by no means. Found one 2017 for $9599, that is a heck of a deal.
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2017-Honda-Africa-Twin-500398315
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2017-Honda-Africa-Twin-CRF1000L-5001214506

I've ridden one, would have no problem owning one.

Just curious, but how many GS's might be for sale from the same year model range, just for comparison?

Not knowing how many ATs were sold, I don't know if 1322 is a lot, a few, or typical for any bike :shrug:

Just did a quick search on 2016-2018 used models on Cycle Trader.

54 used Africa Twins
66 used R 1200 GS Adventure

Not sure which one sold more models in the US those years.

Back