• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Santiago Chile

JTS

Reaction score
I'm meeting a group of guys at the Los Chanares Lodge in Argentina for a dove hunt next month and I decided to go a couple days early and rent a motorcycle in Santiago Chile and ride in the Andes. I have the choice renting a BMW R1200 GSW or a BMW F800 GS I have never ridden a BMW, which would you guys recommend? I will just be doing day rides outside of town. I ride a 1190 Adventure R here at home.

Also if anyone has been there and has recommendation on where to ride or restaurants etc please let me know. I have never been there.

I'm meeting a group of guys at the Los Chanares Lodge in Argentina for a dove hunt next month and I decided to go a couple days early and rent a motorcycle in Santiago Chile and ride in the Andes. I have the choice renting a BMW R1200 GSW or a BMW F800 GS I have never ridden a BMW, which would you guys recommend? I will just be doing day rides outside of town. I ride a 1190 Adventure R here at home.

Also if anyone has been there and has recommendation on where to ride or restaurants etc please let me know. I have never been there.

R1200GS! it will be closer power wise to what you are used to.

Be careful, I rode southtex's gs the other day and now I'm in love.

Either will probably be fine as long as you are not going to be doing anything more technical than dirt roads. If you expect to see mud/sand, you might see about getting a bike with knobbies or at least a pretty aggressive big block adventure tire. That can make a world of difference in how the bike feels/handles. Weight wise, the 800 is a bit lighter (assuming the GS is not a GSA), so it would be the choice if you think it will turn to rough riding.

I not planning on riding anything technical, dirt roads will be as adventurous as I will get that far from home.

Get the 800. Speeds are different when you go to SA. Roads are narrower, random animals, holes, bad drivers. Lighter bike is best. I actually rent 250cc bikes when I ride in Ecuador. If you like wine, go south and ride thru the wine country. Valparaiso to the west is nice if you go now (their summer)

I suspect the 800 might be a cheaper rental than the 1200? That alone would be a good reason to get the 800 for the kind of riding it sounds like you will be doing.

Back