• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dakar 2019

Is it the Honda or Brabec?

Agree. If he just runs his own race he’s top notch. But try n push yourself or your equipment and that’s the result... my boy Price on the other hand keeps making ground with his busted wrist

Agree. If he just runs his own race he’s top notch. But try n push yourself or your equipment and that’s the result... my boy Price on the other hand keeps making ground with his busted wrist
You should be cheering for the American/Texan Andrew Short.

He’s good and got a great attitude but just not at that top level. Toby rides this dunes stuff to work every morning in Australia.

Phillip, what's the engine maintenance routine for those factory riders at bivouac? What likely happened. Think it was 50 something km in to the days ride when it gave way.

Price, tough as nails (or screws in the wrist)

Can you imagine the throttle wrist pain going on . Its all braced and everything but i bet its just throbbing .

Last edited:
You should be cheering for the American/Texan Andrew Short.

He's doing an amazing job but at 40' back he's going to need a major navigation error, crash or mechanical from the 3 guys ahead of him. However...this is the Dakar!

Phillip, what's the engine maintenance routine for those factory riders at bivouac? What likely happened. Think it was 50 something km in to the days ride when it gave way.

I can only surmise from the TV pictures that it's a limited strip down. The motor itself is marked so you have to run with the one you started on.

We'll never know exactly what happened but you have to think, the mechanics are working through the night then riding a bus or truck for 4 to 6 hours every day, setting up shop & waiting for the riders to come in. Rinse & repeat over 12 days & fatigue is bound to be a factor.

Sunderland got his penalty time back. Clean sweep to KTM. I'll refer you to post #8 in this thread! :deal:

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 6.24.07 PM.png

Pretty amazing that Short finished 5th in only his second year of racing Rally and never really racing any of the open desert series coming from a MX & SX background

Great finish for probably one of the nicest guys in all of motorcycle racing, had the pleasure to meet him a couple of times a real enjoyable down to earth kind of guy

Pretty amazing that Short finished 5th in only his second year of racing Rally and never really racing any of the open desert series coming from a MX & SX background

Great finish for probably one of the nicest guys in all of motorcycle racing, had the pleasure to meet him a couple of times a real enjoyable down to earth kind of guy
He worked very hard to get there. He was training with brabec the last month, plus training with the ktm/husky guys.

To day is Thursday, it's over? I thought the last day was tomorrow (friday). Or are you saying maybe there's no way the results can change due to time running out

I’ll refer y’all to my post about Toby winning and liai having a good Dakar. She got 11th and he got that mullet cut off.
A tough race but I doubt it will hold up being a one country sand dune race.

B25CDA4B-BA7D-40F8-9368-BBCCCAF2B5DC.png

This should be interesting. How’s the political climate and the feeling towards female competitors.

That's a big question but I'm pretty sure ASO would have insisted on provisions for the female racers in any agreement; they have some pretty dedicated followers worldwide, me among them. We shall see.

Whole thing is BS. The Eco Rally has proved that terrorism isn't an issue for motorsports in West Africa, this is all about the money.

Big change, thanks for posting.
Seems like south Africa would have afforded more interesting terrain but Im sure the deal was right

Rumor is the hosting fee alone is $25M, then the host has to provide all the facilities, law enforcement and support infrastructure which can easily double that.

Rumor is the hosting fee alone is $25M, then the host has to provide all the facilities, law enforcement and support infrastructure which can easily double that.
But the public relations for Saudi Arabia is priceless. I imagine there are certain places in the region that is not all just barren sand dunes. They did mention something about mountanous areas and perhaps canyon lands. Its a big place

Back