• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A little bit of family history

Texas T

LD Rider
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
My dad at age 21 on his 1952 Harley-Davidson Hydra Glide, the first model to have a foot shifter. He rode this hardtail between where he was stationed in Tucson back and forth to New Jersey to see my mom before they got married. Imagine riding a hardtail across country today, and then imagine it on the quality of the roads they had back then. I think I inherited my long distance riding genes from him.

Dad 3-15-1952.jpg

And the replica plate that I had made. I plan to have a nice frame made up with this photo and this plate put into it.

Dad's Plate - Edited.jpg

Got photos of your dad/mom/granddad on their bikes "back in the day"? Post them up.

I'm digging the gauntlet gloves!

I'll have to see if I can find that thread where I posted those pics of my grandad racing an Indian on dirt back in the late 30s.

Wow that is love worth following.
I used to ride my KLR from Las Cruces NM to McDonald Observatory ever weekend to see my pre-bride. I thought I was doing good but Tuscon to New Jersey is awesome. It amazing what people were willing to go through for love. It's a shame many don't put in that effort any more.

Wow that is love worth following.
I used to ride my KLR from Las Cruces NM to McDonald Observatory ever weekend to see my pre-bride. I thought I was doing good but Tuscon to New Jersey is awesome. It amazing what people were willing to go through for love. It's a shame many don't put in that effort any more.

"Somewhere" I have photos of my mom riding the bike. All 5'6" / 120 pounds of her. She told me of a time that she was driving and my dad was riding pillion on the way back from Phoenix to Tucson. I got the impression that they had attended the State Fair and my dad had perhaps imbibed a bit too much. Anyhow, he was leaning against her back, probably sleeping, when she twisted open the throttle. Apparently his legs went flying up and he scrambled not to fall off the bike. She indicated that he wasn't a very happy camper at that point. :rant:

:rofl:

Back