• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Adventure Ride (TAR): May 24-27, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
P4220100-XL.jpg

The Texas Adventure Ride is a 4 day, dual sport adventure ride and rally occurring in Junction, TX and offers an opportunity to enjoy the great dual sport riding in the Texas hill country. All riders are invited to attend.

Lodging – You will be staying in Junction, TX for three nights (Friday – Sunday nights). Each rider must make their own lodging accommodations. Ride headquarters is the Best Western Dos Rios hotel, right off main street in Junction. A hot breakfast buffet is included with the cost of your room.

Rally HQ – Best Western Hotel
244 Dos Rios Drive
Junction, TX 76849
325-446-3700

I have reserved a block of rooms at the Best Western. Rooms are $84 per night for a single or a double. If you want one of those rooms you have to call the Best Western at the phone # above, tell them you are with the Texas Adventure Ride, and request one of the rooms reserved for TAR. You cannot get one of the reserved rooms on-line, you have to call the property.

Alternate hotel – Rodeway Inn
2343 N. Main Street
Junction, TX 76849
325-446-4588

In the event that the Best Western gets sold out, there is a Roadway Inn right next door and a hot breakfast is included. There are also a number of other motel options in town.

Make your reservations now. May is a busy month in the hill country and the properties in Junction often sell out. Even if you aren’t sure if you will be able to attend make your reservation now – you can always cancel it if needed.

Ride Organization- Each day riders select where they want to ride that day. We have taken the liberty of providing recommended routes for both Friday and Saturday – routes that we believe include the finest dual sport and paved roads in the hill country – but riders are free to choose to ride wherever they want.

Riders meeting: We will be hosting a riders safety meeting Friday and Saturday morning, 8 am, in the parking lot of the Best Western hotel. If you need a group to ride with, the riders meeting is your opportunity to locate one. We will facilitate group formation for those who don’t have a group to ride with.

Daily Schedule:

Friday
6 – 8 pm : Arrive, rider check in, Best Western hotel lobby
6 – 8 pm : Social gathering, Best Western breakfast room and lobby

Saturday
6:00 – 8:00 a.m., breakfast buffet for those staying in the Best Western
8:00 – 8:30 a.m., Riders Meeting, Best Western parking lot
8:30 – 6:00 p.m., Ride
6:00 – 7:30 p.m., dinner on your own
8:00 – 10 p.m., informal rider social, Best Western parking lot

Sunday
6:00 – 8:00 a.m., breakfast buffet, Best Western Hotel
8:00 – 8:30 a.m., Riders Meeting, Best Western parking lot
8:30 – 6:00 p.m., Ride
6:00 – 7:30 p.m., catered dinner (location to be announced)
8:00 – 10 p.m., informal rider social, Best Western parking lot

Monday: End of event

Pre-Planned Routes: We provide suggested routes for both Saturday and Sunday. These routes consist of both pavement and dirt, but the emphasis is riding as much dirt as possible. Each day’s route is about 250 miles long and will take most or all of the day to complete. There are gas stations along both routes but your motorcycle should have at least a 120 mile range to avoid running out of gas between stops. Both routes pass through several towns, allowing the opportunity to buy snacks and lunch during the ride. The pre-planned routes will be emailed to all registered riders in .gpx format for use with a GPS . Each rider should bring his/her own map and a GPS.

P4220059-XL.jpg

MAPS- No paper maps are provided for this event. Due to the extensive amount of area covered in the recommended routes, there is no single paper map that covers all the recommended roads. The best paper map that we know of is the Roads of Texas Atlas, published by Mapsco. The Road of Texas atlas contains every road in the pre-planned routes and is a much better paper map source than any others that we are aware of. We strongly urge you to purchase copy of The Roads of Texas atlas (even if you have a GPS.) It is available on-line and at most major bookstores or online.

(Note – don’t confuse the Roads of Texas Atlas by Mapsco with other atlases. The Mapsco atlas is the best atlas we have been able to find. By the way, we have no affiliation with Mapsco, we just think their atlas is the best map source for this event.)

We recommend studying the routes before hand and then bringing the appropriate pages from the Roads of Texas Atlas with you as a backup/reference.

GPS – The pre-planned routes will be emailed to all registered riders in .gpx format for use with a GPS . Each rider should bring his/her own map and a GPS.

Bike Type – Any dual sport or adventure type bike should be suitable for this event. Only public roads are include in the pre-planned routes; there is no public off-road riding in the hill country. While there are no off-road areas, the dual sport roads in the area range from well maintained gravel to un-maintained, rutted dirt. Any dual sport / adventure bike is likely capable of navigating the routes but rider skill is another matter. Riders should use their best judgment as to whether a particular section of road is suitable for their individual riding skills.

Finally, there are a lot of fun, paved roads in the hill country so that road bikes and/or cruisers have lots of riding opportunities. However the pre-planned routes contain lots of dirt roads and are not likely a good choice for road bikes or cruisers.

Who is in charge? John Thompson (aka JT) and I (Richard Gibbens) are jointly hosting this year’s event. John will be running the event in Junction.

Included with your registration are rally attendance, pre-planned routes Saturday and Sunday, commemorative rally swag, and the group catered meal on Sunday evening.

Registration ends Wednesday, May 1st, 5 pm so that I have sufficient time to order the commemorative items. You can still register after May 1st but won’t be guaranteed to receive the commemorative item.

How to register:
Paypal:
You can register and pay using paypal. Send payment to me at rgibbens@austin.rr.com. Please include a note letting me know your full name and what you are registering for (I run multiple events every year so letting me know why you sent me $60 helps me keep things straight). I will email registration confirmation to you once your paypal payment has been received. If you don’t receive an email confirming your registration then please contact me so we can resolve the issue.

Mail: You can register by sending $60 check, money order, or cash to me at
Richard Gibbens
12609 Red Bud Trail
Buda, TX 78610

Please include a note letting me know your full name and that you are registering for the Texas Adventure Ride. If you include your email address (and I can read your handwriting) I will email a registration confirmation to you. If you don’t receive an email confirmation from me, please contact me so we can resolve the issue.

Refunds: If you register and then discover you can’t attend, we will gladly refund 100% of your registration fee until Wednesday, May 1st. After that, refunds will be pro-rated.

Want to help out? We always need help organizing these events. If you are willing to help, please contact us.

P4220124-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Signed up
Have another friend on KLX250 that may join
Looking forward to another stellar event

I am in, have not been on a good adventure in awhile, bringing both my sons an one other friend for their first hill country ride.
Great! Somebody told me you sold all your bikes to buy a new boat...

Just signed up for myself and my son. I stay mainly at IHG hotels, so I reserved at the new Holiday Inn Express right next to Best Western.

We probably won't be leaving till around 2-3pm Friday, since it is the last day of school and kids don't get off on early dismissal till maybe 1pm. I assume we can check in Sat morning?

Hey Trail Boss, how many are signed up now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back