• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lunar Eclipse Sunday night 2019.01.20

Canon has their 6DR? or something like that is a targeted star-gazer. Something I recall about their sensor has the ability to go long periods without overheating. I think they are also using a computer controlled gimble that tracks a specific reference point based on your long/lat so there's no streaks. It shifts as the earth shifts.

Canon has their 6DR? or something like that is a targeted star-gazer. Something I recall about their sensor has the ability to go long periods without overheating. I think they are also using a computer controlled gimble that tracks a specific reference point based on your long/lat so there's no streaks. It shifts as the earth shifts.

Yeah, I have a friend here in town that does astrophotography. He has a camera that is just a box that clips to the telescope. EVERYTHING is controlled via computer. The sensor is chilled somehow to allow for really long exposures, like many hours. The telescope tracks SUPER smooth. He gets incredible results.

Come on.. even y'alls worst shots have to be better than what I posted. Let's see em.

So how do people get those cool Milky Way shots? Just crank the ISO through the roof and go wide open on the aperture?

http://dakotalapse.com/night-sky-workshops/

IMG_4840.jpg

Here's my attempt, shot from my atrium as my wife was bundled up and laughing at me trying to figure things out:

• Nikon D810
  • 200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6
  • ƒ/8.0
  • 650.0 mm (1.4 TC)
  • SS 0.3
  • ISO 6400
  • Edited in LR CC
39869117103_f1a84f0bf0_b.jpg

Some other shots I liked from the night...
46834337031_e60595fd1d_b.jpg

31892822897_fb370f4436_b.jpg

46109146574_a974e0a63a_b.jpg

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...y/news-story/a5e05b8c0abb30d6cac0c67c91937138

Enticed.
Bewildered.
Terrified.
All are time-honoured responses to the moon. Whether you see beauty in a solar or lunar eclipse, or impending doom, will be based on your cultural and social background.
Knowledge, too, plays its part.
For those of us on the surface of the Earth, there are two kinds of eclipse: solar and lunar.
In a solar eclipse, the Moon passes between the Earth and the Sun.
In a lunar eclipse, it’s the Earth’s shadow that falls on the Moon.
What makes a lunar eclipse different is its scale.
The Moon’s shadow only falls on a small portion of the Earth’s surface, and often passes over quickly.
But when the Earth’s shadow falls on the Moon, its blood-red stained face haunts the entire half of the planet that happens to be in darkness at that time.
Throughout history, though, those that have experienced either event have often felt it was all about them. It was a rare but personal sign from the gods. Therefore, it had to be observed, interpreted, tracked — and predicted.
And all this can add to the eerie red sense of foreboding, doom — and change.

Last edited by a moderator:
IM5_8760-XL.jpg

CAMERA Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
LENS Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
ISO 3200
FOCAL LENGTH 371.0 mm (1382.1 mm in 35mm)
APERTURE f/5.6
EXPOSURE TIME 0.2s (1/5)

Slow shutter speed, but on a tripod. Light clouds. Even my faster ss shots were soft (not sharp). I will admit though, that I like the color. This was just before full totally and my last shot of the night.

I like 1 and 3 of your shots Kory :thumb:

Mine all suck because I was shooting with a 200mm lens. So the moon was a small dot in the center of a big picture. By the time I crop enough to have the moon a decent size, meh...

Been awhile since checking the site and WOW! All new and love it! Was pretty cold for me but I did try for a few on the eclipse. Was using my SX50 and hand held so not the best of shots. No red for me unless it happen later. Just a sliver of light and blackness.
IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0999-2.jpg

Back