• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hertz Motorcycle rental

skup

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Skupnjak
Has any one rented from Hertz? Just found their web page for European rentals. They have strictly BMW bikes. Some really great rates on GS and RT's all over Europe. On the web page I see a 2019 1250 RT at about $100 a day. That's an amazing price. Looks like they have partnered with BMW.

I bought my daily cage from them, to bad they don't rent/sell bikes stateside

Did you notice if a US M endorsement is sufficient to rent/operate? Their m/c licensing is supposed to be tougher.

Are you sure that was 100 dollars and not Euros? If it is dollars, that is indeed a great rate!

https://www.hertzride.eu/en/motorcycles

Here's a quote for a 7 day rental in/out of Rome:

1548110038428.png

We have a couple of TWT members in Germany. You could shoot Sir Arthur a message and ask.

As an alternative, I have an Army brat buddy in Denver - not a member here - who is a fluent German speaker and spent a couple of weeks in Bavaria in 2017, on a rented GS (smaller one, not a 1200 or 1300). At least I assume he rented it. I could probably probably pick his name on the matter.

Germany recognizes US driver license and motorcycle endorsement is also valid. This is based off 2007-2010 first hand knowledge. I doubt that has changed.

You should check with Hertz just to be sure on the license, but some of the riders in the Houston BMW club rent bike in Europe and none have ever mentioned a licensing problem. As an aside, just last Saturday I was talking with a German language prof who had just retired from Purdue and he mentioned that the European foreign exchange students would get their license here and then use their US licence to bypass some of the licensing requirement in Europe.

I rent in the European Union countries with my Texas DL and no issues. I checked a 9 day rental on a RT in Portugal and got a price of just under $1000. Seems like a great deal to me.

You won't have any trouble with a US license. You shouldn't have any trouble crossing through countries in the EU either, which includes the UK for the moment. Fuel is REALLY expensive, $5.00 to $7.00/gal or more equivalent. Restaurants are generally expensive, but food in grocery stores is very inexpensive. Bargains can be had in hotels, if you look for them.

I use United non-stop for around $1200-$1400 round trip coach to Frankfurt, if bought in advance. You can get them for less on something like Turkish Airlines, but you have to go through Istanbul with a stop and may be layover.

I did notice a 300km (187mi) limitation per day, after that you pay .36€/km. We typically do around 500km/day (300mi) over there so that would add an additional 72€ a day. If you planned to ride and then stay a day or two in places, this may not be a big deal.

I'm glad we have decided to ride around Europe, I continue to be surprised by how much my perception of life in the EU was off.

In Scotland A good friend used Motorrad Central Edinburgh for a week rental. Great outfit according to him. Someday we hope to get to Ireland and do a week.

I use United non-stop for around $1200-$1400 round trip coach to Frankfurt, if bought in advance. You can get them for less on something like Turkish Airlines, but you have to go through Istanbul with a stop and may be layover.

I'm glad we have decided to ride around Europe, I continue to be surprised by how much my perception of life in the EU was off.

Turkish has some good prices, and the layover going out is almost reasonable. The layover coming back from Munich makes the trip almost 20 hours so not worth it to us. United is the way to go from Houston if you want to maximize your time abroad. Was your perception of Europe as good as ours? We liked it so much I'm working on a German language cert now (the wife already speaks it though rusty.) We may spend the first couple of years of our retirement over there. I could spend a year just riding Austria and Slovenia.

Turkish has some good prices, and the layover going out is almost reasonable. The layover coming back from Munich makes the trip almost 20 hours so not worth it to us. United is the way to go from Houston if you want to maximize your time abroad. Was your perception of Europe as good as ours? We liked it so much I'm working on a German language cert now (the wife already speaks it though rusty.) We may spend the first couple of years of our retirement over there. I could spend a year just riding Austria and Slovenia.

I absolutely love Europe. Although, I think their governments are a little more prone to taking advantage of their citizenry than ours is. I spent five years in Germany, three of them when I was 2y to 5y old. We lived on the economy, so I learned to speak German at the same time I learned English. Unfortunately, I have forgot most of it. But I have been surprised by how some of it has come back. I love Germany! I also enjoyed Slovakia and Czech Republic. Norway and Sweden are too expensive. The UK was dense and drove on the wrong side of the road. :) One place I absolutely enjoyed was Luxembourg. Great roads and less expensive accommodations, I may go back there. I am looking forward to September when we head to Italy, the alps and Croatia. Ending up in Turkey. We are headed south into Spain and the Pyrenees in May. I recommend to anyone, who is able to make the trip, to go to Europe.

Language is no barrier as almost everyone speaks English. We met a Professor at a gas station, from Germany in the Czech Republic, who had just spoken at a convention. He and his host, spoke English with each other because one spoke native German and the other Czech. The professor said, "of course you know that the "official" language of flight is English, the "official" language of business is English and since 1945 the "official" language of Science is English. Everyone speaks English." We said, we do know. Being the contrarians they are, France seemed to be the only country we traveled through, which seemed to use German, instead of English, as their second language.

Anyway, we are glad to be going back. Good luck with a two year residency, sounds wonderful. And, good luck to the OP in finding a ride, it will be worth the cost.

I had a round trip from Houston to Croatia on Air Canada for $700 last September.

Croatia will have more direct flights including from the US next summer. Avoiding the high priced hubs in Europe allows for lower airfares also. I rent BMW's from a couple of local outfits in the Capital but I think Hertz looks like a better deal. Plus Hertz has Rt's which I would like to get next summer.

Ljubljana is 2 hours northwest of Zagreb the capital of Croatia. From there it's only 2 hours into the Alps. I've ridden that whole area for years including Montenegro and Bosnia. There is a good tour group in Lublajana also. My preference is only to rent the bike. I don't like committing to a tour group. Weather and last minute ride preferences dictate where I ride. Although I would love to organize a 3 bike group to go. Not for any money just to enjoy a group ride.

Have you done the Russian Road yet? There is some stuff along Slovenian 403 and 909 I'd love to do on a bike. Some of those switchbacks are so tight that you have to turn your right hand mirror up and to the outside to see oncoming traffic. Somehow we ended up on 905 going into Radovljica, it was like driving on a bicycle path, a really steep and twisty bike path.

I don't know Russia Rd. But Radovlica is near lake Bled which I have ridden around. Some great roads in the mountains there.

Go west to Kobarid and then up the Soca river valley. The road will lead through the National Park to Vrsoc Pass not too far from Mt Triglav. The road ends at the Austrian border. The area is steeped in WWI history and the Russian Road was built by Russian POWs to supply the Isanzo front.

Best of luck on your trip.

Back