• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for a sunscreen recommendation

Hmm

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a good sunscreen for my face for riding. Some of them have a tendency to burn your eyes through out the ride when applied to your face . Some are pasty enough to gunk up your helmet liner really badly. I usually ride with a facemask used as a bandana in sunny weather so my neck is not a problem and my jacket takes care of my arms unless it is hot enough to have to pull the liner. But my face, especially my nose, gets some sunburn. I ride with a Shoei Hornet that helps with it's long bill sticking out but I need a bit more protection. Anybody find anything that you like a lot for your face?

I had skin cancer 5 or 6 years ago and dermatologist recommended EltaMD UV Sport. Been using it for a number of years now. Just takes a little and is non-greasy.
You might take a look, EltaMD make a number of different formulas. One might work for you.

Same story with the spots of skin cancer (you seen my Frankenstein scar?) and was told to get a "broad spectrum" sunscreen for prolonged sun exposure. Neutrogena® Ultra Sheer SPF 100 Advanced Sun Protection - Broad Spectrum UVA-UVB is what I use now.

Neutrogena makes one that's specifically for faces it Does Not Burn my Eyes. Only stuff I've found that doesn't. I don't find it greasy either.

I ride with a dual sport helmet but have a bad habit of keeping the lense up so windburn is my issue. Maybe I’m just old and can’t see through the plastic but that’s another story. I tend to use a 50 SPF and put it on after I put on the helmet. Cheeks, nose, and anything else that’s not covered by the helmet.

Aloe Gator Gel Broad Spectrum. Used to adventure race and would put this stuff on before sunrise, raced all day until after sunset with only that one application. It has worked great for riding so far. Does not bother my eyes.

The generic and venerable standby of dermatologists is the CeraVe product line.

There are lots of products that do the same things (apparently there are a few specific ingredients and at specific levels that are actually important and a lot that are not very useful) but are not as available/more expensive. There are also lots of products that do not have the proper things or proper levels.

My wife who is a red head (so she's pale naturally) likes the Neutrogena liquid stuff.

Another vote for neutrogena from another guy wrestling with skin cancer issues...

I use Walmart's Equate Sport Sunscreen. It's actually gotten high marks with Consumer Reports.

Same story with the spots of skin cancer (you seen my Frankenstein scar?) and was told to get a "broad spectrum" sunscreen for prolonged sun exposure. Neutrogena® Ultra Sheer SPF 100 Advanced Sun Protection - Broad Spectrum UVA-UVB is what I use now.
Yes, yes. I was going to mention this. It's not greasy! It was chilly last weekend and some sun. I didn't apply for both days on the trip to Brady and back and i paid for it with sun and wind exposure (red faced) I find that it helps against wind burn too.

For your consideration...

Always trust a woman for health care. They really are smarter than us Neanderthals

On a related note, Greg Krenek, a dermatologist who has taken great care of me and my many skin carcinomas and is near you in Conroe:

Reactions: Hmm
I've found the Neutrogena Ultrasheer stuff stains clothing with an orange color that doesn't wash out. Otherwise it's great stuff.

On a related note, Greg Krenek, a dermatologist who has taken great care of me and my many skin carcinomas and is near you in Conroe:

You and my wife share that fair skin, watch out for too much sun thing G. Thanks for the info on your doctor. I have used Dr. Michael Streitmann for some skin cancer. Pretty cool guy. As I left his facility, he told me to come back if I needed anything else cut off of me. 😄

Yup. Learned my lesson a little too late- a childhood of day trips to Galveston which weren’t considered successful unless you returned red as a boiled lobster. Add 3 years scuba diving and beach bunny-ing on a sub tropical island then 5 years working in the Florida sun-I’ve earned all the scars I have!

Krenek has a sense of humor too. I was sent to him after my pcp had tried and failed to freeze off a thing on my forehead. Krenek walked into the exam room, stopped abruptly in the doorway and said, “I’m not touching that.” He literally crept toward me and from 3 feet away, looked at my forehead, all the while repeating the same “I’m not touching that”!

That may sound bad but the way he did it cracked me up.

I’m so grateful too-he sent me to a dermatologist who is also a plastic surgeon. I have only a very slight scar through my left eyebrow that is hardly noticeable.

Back