• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DS Coldspring ride report w/ pic's

dbdolan

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Dolan
Last Sunday(9-10-06) Desmo called me in the morning to go riding. My fishing trip had just got canceled so I agreed to go exploring out toward Coldspring.

Coldspring.jpg

DSColdspring9-10-06017.jpg

We found a lot of trails which eventually became hiking trails:doh:
DSColdspring9-10-06002.jpg

Desmo in search of the trail...
DSColdspring9-10-06003.jpg

DSColdspring9-10-06004.jpg

DSColdspring9-10-06006.jpg

DSColdspring9-10-06008.jpg

DSColdspring9-10-06009.jpg

Love bugs...I lovem'
DSColdspring9-10-06011.jpg

DSColdspring9-10-06010.jpg

I took Desmo over to the clay pits which I had discovered on one of my other explorations.

DSColdspring9-10-06012.jpg

DSColdspring9-10-06016.jpg

I almost made it over the hill and back out the other side, the hole on the other side of the hill was deeper than I thought. :doh:

DSColdspring9-10-06013.jpg

We then made it over to the Hop in Coldspring for a burger. Skies were threatening on the way home, I got within 10 miles from my house and it let loose. I was drenched when I pulled in my drive way, next time I will bring my rain gear.:lol2:

Great pics, man I miss east Texas. How big is Coldspring now? I haven't been there since the early 80s.

Thanks, I don't think Coldspring has grown much. Population 500 or so, I remember when I was in high school in 81' we played Coldspring in football and the town pretty much looked the same as it did then.

Great pics. Have you and Desmo ever found or ridden any trails on the east side of 45 in SHNF? I remember Steve saying that he thought there were some in that area.

Most of the trails we found on the east side were hiking trails, I have yet to find any for bikes. Maybe Desmo will chime in with some insight.

Another nice ride! I've been working too many weekends lately. The weather and temps will be much more ridable in the coming weeks.

Great ride Bryan. Nice pics too. Got wet on the way home, huh? When I saw you turn south off 1488, I thought "what is he doing?". Didn't you see that wall of water approaching from the south? I barely clipped the corner of the storm on the way to Magnolia, but not enought to even get my jeans wet.

That clay pit was great. I stopped and pointed toward a big hill and "suggested" that Bryan try it. Now, neither one of us knew what was on the other side. Before I had a chance to say anythiny else, there he goes. When he got to the top and started down the backside, I noticed both his tires lock up. I knew that was not a good sign. When I went around the backside, there his bike was laying on its side. Hence the last picture.

Thumper, I don't know of any official trails east of 45. There are some hunter trails, but nothing exciting.

Chris, you need to dust off that KLX and do some riding with us.

I met a guy Friday who has a weekend house right in the middle of SHNF. He showed me his place an bikes he keeps there. He has a permit to trap wild hogs there too. But the best part is, he has keys to the locked forest service gates! I may need to make friends with this guy.

Steve

Desmo said:
Chris, you need to dust off that KLX and do some riding with us.

The weather is so perfect today that I must find some time to get on two wheels between projects. I just landed this morning from a red-eye flight from NY, and now I have to finish refurbishing the exhaust manifolds on my boat (rust cleanup, new paint and gaskets) before this weekend. We're getting together for a once a year Baja boat run on Lake Conroe.

I'm gonna have to pull the carb off the KLX and clean the jets, check the float and then change the oil before I can ride it. Poor neglected bike..:giveup: All the sitting around waiting on me has caused it to have a fit and break down in protest! Actually it's probably the gas that we must live with these days and the additives that cause it to evaporate faster than real gas like we used to get in the 70's. The carbs on my V65 Magna were messed up too but I cleaned them a couple weeks ago.

I really want to get out and explore the backroads up near Lake Livingston, so we should try and get a group ride together soon! As of right now the only days off I have in October are Sunday the 15th, and maybe the 21-22nd.

Hey Chris good to see you back around the boards, you must be working alot. On your KLX go buy some sea foam at your local auto parts store, it is some good stuff for cleaning up carbs. Hope to ride with you guy's soon.

Back