• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ISO Goldwing - total noob

Good luck with your purchase. I bought my 02 in 2010 with 53K miles on it and paid $10K flat. It had highway pegs and a few doo-dads here and there. The stock seat has served me well so I haven't had the need to go to a Russell Day Long, but I'll seriously consider it when this bike gets replaced. I'm currently 31 miles short of 160K so the bike has served me very well.

I added the Traxxion suspension last year and truly do kick myself every day for not doing it years ago. WHAT a difference in both ride and handling! It's well worth the price and can be swapped to a replacement bike when the time comes.

I added a Windbender windshield last year as well, and that's another farkle that I should have done earlier. If you go this route, go with clear and not tinted. Mine has ABS and it's never been used but it gives me comfort to know it's there.

The big BMW LT and the bigger Harleys are going to be equal in comfort on the long haul, but I don't think anyone makes as many long distance riding add-ons as what they make for the GL1800. As others have said, 1000 mile days are nothing to this bike.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm on my third HD Ultra Classic Limited (current is a 2017 Ultra Classic CVO). I've done a few 14 day trips and many 3/4 days. Never missed a beat. I did own a Goldwing once (89 1500). It was a great bike too. I have several friends that have scored great deals on used Wings. Lots of them out there. You just need to be patient. Lots of folks buy big touring bikes, use them a few times, and park them. Never understood that logic, but whatever.

When I bought my second HD, I was looking at Goldwings and Harleys. I just seemed to "fit" better on the Harley and found a great deal on a low mileage used 2015. I have bought a few at Dream Machines in Carrollton. Check them out online. Mostly Harleys, but they always have used Goldwings, Indians, BMWs, and others.

Wait for it........:

Lookee what followed me home today!

Needs work ... just maintenance items

Hasn't been registered since 2011.
Has kind of a sad story ... on a trip with friends, friend went down and died.
He parked it in the garage.

I got it home, put some air in the tires and checked the oil.
She scoots down the road ...

Tires and brake pads ordered.

Need to source a shorter windshield.
Almost decapitate myself when I get on.
Also ... can someone coach me on how to elegantly get on this thing with the back rest in place?

Too many folks to name and say thank you for your help ... I'd leave someone out.
Just know that I very much appreciate all the input and feedback.

Last edited:
Need to source a shorter windshield. Almost decapitate myself when I get on.
Also ... can someone coach me on how to elegantly get on this thing with the back rest in place?

Two schools of thought on windshields. Some prefer to look through... some prefer to look over. I, and most wingers that have come over from the GL1800 forums to TWT, prefer the "look over" style. Windbender is a good option if you want to spend the money. If not... you can always have yours cut down to size. But... ultimately, if you are wanting to "look over", then you'll be wanting one with some sort of "re-curve" in it to throw the air/rain over your head/helmet.

Most all backrests that I know about actually fold down forward to help getting on ...or, I had a Corbin where you simply pulled the backrest up and out to get on, then put it back in the hole. Lastly... sometimes we just grab our pant-leg and throw our leg forward (toward the tank vs rear seat) over the seat to get on. Give it a shot... on of them is bound to work for you. ;)

Lot's of little farkles on her that I can see:

• Aftermarket seat (looks like it has heat)
  • Floorboards
  • Aux Lights
  • Highway pegs/boards
  • CB
  • Airwings
  • Heel/Toe shifter
  • Kuryakyn Transformers (passenger floarboards)
  • Rear spoiler
  • Lots of chrome & lighting doo-dads
    • Ring of fire (LED)/rotor covers
    • Chrome/LED trunk-saddlebag LED lighting
    • Chrome/LED front fender trim
    • Chrome timing cover
    • Fairing air intakes
    • Front lower cowl (around aux lights)
    • Scuff Plates/side trip (by rear floorboards)
    • Turn-down Chrome exhaust extensions
    • Shark gills (radiator area)
    • Kuryakyn Iso Grips
    • Frame covers
    • Mirror trim
She was definitely loved at one time... sad story.

Congrats on the new scoot! Hope to see it soon at Dave's so we can start on that new suspension. ;)

Last edited:
If that backrest does not fold down, then your only real choice is what I have to do when the back seat is occupied... I grab the padding below my right kneecap and pull up while lifting my right leg and sliding it onto/over the seat. It's not pretty. It's not easy to do. You'll scuff the seat. But it's what I have to do. My wife is handicapped and I have to help her get on first, and then once she is in place and settled I get on.

When she's not with me I fold my backrest down, swing my left and right rear armrests out, step on the left front footpeg and then swing my right leg over. I continue to stand on the pegs and pull the backrest up into position, then I sit down.

Lookee what followed me home today!

View attachment 234620

Needs work ... just maintenance items

Hasn't been registered since 2011.
Has kind of a sad story ... on a trip with friends, friend went down and died.
He parked it in the garage.

I got it home, put some air in the tires and checked the oil.
She scoots down the road ...

Tires and brake pads ordered.

Need to source a shorter windshield.
Almost decapitate myself when I get on.

Too many folks to name and say thank you for your help ... I'd leave someone out.
Just know that I very much appreciate all the input and feedback.
That windshield is ridiculous

Looks awesome! Enjoy your new bike. Rip the KTM 😢?

I plan to sell my '04 GL1800A, located in Germany, if you need a spare.
QqaA4laAQSM53wLpD20SMoP5dYm7iXUnFCt8T=w847-h635-no.jpg

Looks good, but agree that windshield is crazy long.

I am hoping in a few more years to be looking for something similar, hopefully I can find a similar deal.

That windshield is ridiculous
Yeah, for some reason there are riders that prefer to look through the windshield. For as much riding as I do in the rain, that would never work for me.

As for all the chrome farkles (chrome don't get ya home), the Wing rider that stereotypically does this doesn't tend to ride a lot and your bike is a good example of that. Taking the "parked since 2011" statement into consideration, that's only 750 miles a month. I think you did well with this purchase. My first suggested farkle would be a trunk rack. Mine is invaluable.

Well done Mitch! I think that is a very nice example of used Goldwing.
Had the tall windshield on mine, used the HONDA spray cleaner/polish on it - whenever I got caught riding in the rain it acted like Rain-X and flew over my head. Granted it doesn’t rain much around here but a trip to Seattle will be different. It’s hot in the summer too, big pocket of still air around you even with the vent open. I didn’t have an issue getting off the bike but since I always parked it on the center stand and got on like getting on a horse by stepping on the left foot peg first and swing a leg over, I was always far enough back to avoid hitting my face on the windshield. Let me look in the garage to see if I still have my old short stock windshield, you can have it. If not I know I got some plexiglass from Home Depot and made a super short one of my own that worked pretty well. I didn’t have the additional back rest on mine since that deep bucket seat supported me well enough but I think you have enough suggestions to try to get over it that I won’t add anything here.
Check the local dealer to verify the rear brake dragging recall was done.
Other than that, ride it like you stole it, which I think you did!!!

Ski ... daggummitt ... I should have called you.

I've been thinking about cutting it down.
He had paperwork showing the rear brake recall has been completed.

I'm not used to those crazy floorboards and heel/toe shifter.
I'm a late downshifter and left foot down first kinda rider.
Have to flip the board up to get to the side stand.

I have the stock footpegs ... its just two bolts.

Windshield, I'd look for one with a recurve in it. Mount/unmount, I've done the grab lower shin and pull up, then extend leg over. Seen several that mount from the wrong side, mainly by stepping/standing on the peg/board. The pic doesn't show the details of the backrest, but most have a way to aid in the mounting (move, fold etc). Mine just folds flat (when I use it). Nice find!

You can get a used stock windshield for 50 or 60 bucks off eBay, might even find a take-off one at the dealer. I couldn’t find mine, must have given it away with the bike. Wouldn’t try cutting down that monster, sell it. It’s probably a Tulsa Tall, they ain’t cheap.
Floor boards and heel-toe shifters take some getting used to. I can’t tell from the pics but that shifter may have all the linkage below the board and you can just slide your foot back and forth? You won’t shift often in a thousand mile day!
Can’t wait to see it! Surgery today, I’ll be in touch soon.

Leave bike on sidestand and step on the board/peg to mount is the easiest way to get over a backrest. I see lots of riders use this method for all kinds of bikes.
My Ace Tourer had a backrest and all I did was fully bend my right leg at the knee and slide my boot over the saddle, in front of the backrest. I think it helped to stand a little closer to the front of the bike than normal. Did it so much it was just muscle memory but it's been 4 years since I lost that bike.
Also the Shadow is lower than a GW so this technique may not work unless you are tall and limber.

Congratulations, I think you did well. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Something like this ...

View attachment 234623
:rofl:Nice Wing Mitch glad your search was short yet sweet. Cannot wait to see it in person, maybe at the next meet and greet you will have it registered and ready. Thinking Fat Boys. Looking forward to hearing what you think about it. I have been thinking about one also but it will be a few years down the road.

Back