• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Silverton - 6/29 thru 7/6, 2019

Reaction score
First Name
David
We just got back from a week in the Silverton, Co. area. Most passes are still closed due to snow or avalanche debris. Lots of high water from snow melt. Stony and Ophir were open. Engineer, Cinamon, Corkscrew, Black Bear, hurricane, etc all closed. I estimate at least another month before they open, if then. I was on my 650L and Becky on her z400. I pulled a JT at one of the stream crossings (Scotch Creek area but I believe it was Sig Creek). Been across it many times in the past. Water up over seat this time. No bueno. Lastly, if you haven’t watched the Firework show in Silverton, it is one of the better ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dao
We just got back from a week in the Silverton, Co. area. Most passes are still closed due to snow or avalanche debris. Lots of high water from snow melt. Stony and Ophir were open. Engineer, Cinamon, Corkscrew, Black Bear, hurricane, etc all closed. I estimate at least another month before they open, if then. I was on my 650L and Becky on her z400. I pulled a JT at one of the stream crossings (Scotch Creek area but I believe it was Sig Creek). Been across it many times in the past. Water up over seat this time. No bueno. Lastly, if you haven’t watched the Firework show in Silverton, it is one of the better ones.

View attachment 238151]

That looks like it might be Hermosa Park Rd.? If you come from Scotch Creek Rd., on the West side of the mountains at CO 145, at the top it meets FR 550 which drops down to Hermosa Park Rd. That then runs out to US 550 at Purgatory. I've done that a few times, but it was never over a foot deep or so at the worst.

Here's a buddy that didn't make it across a few years back... :lol2: Fortunately, he did not flood his engine and was able to pick it up and ride it out.

DSC04083.JPG

DSC04084.JPG

DSC04086.JPG

Yep, looks like Hermosa to me too. I've been through that spot (a lot) but never saw water anywhere near such volume.

That looks like it might be Hermosa Park Rd.? If you come from Scotch Creek Rd., on the West side of the mountains at CO 145, at the top it meets FR 550 which drops down to Hermosa Park Rd. That then runs out to US 550 at Purgatory.

Yep, that’s it. Ordinarily it’s shallow. Had I walked it first, my line would have been to the far left where I think I could have made it. Actually, I wouldn’t have attempted it as with anything moto, never proceed if “you think you can make it”. You have to “know” you can make it. Something Kent Howerton told me long ago.

3 changes of Rotella later, I was back in business, good as new.

3 changes of Rotella later, I was back in business, good as new.

I was once told that for flooded engine flushing purposes, you could use kerosene instead of oil. It would absorb the moisture and is WAY cheaper than buying new oil for each flush. Once you are sure the engine is well flushed, you could then drain the kerosene and refill with oil of your choice. That said, I am pretty sure the engine was rotated via the back wheel to circulate the kerosene rather than trying to actually run the motor under power. I've never actually tried this though...

Doggone! Burned out last year, washed out this year. Hermosa just can't catch a break. Got a call from one of my buds up there this morning. Sounds like between remaining snow, washouts and debris it's something of a mess around there right now. I'll head up in a couple weeks but start this season's adventure in the low lands north of Pagosa. Maybe things will have settled down in the high country by the time I work my way north later on.

Your other pic looks like part of the Alpine Loop. Were y'all able to piece together a decent ride anywhere off Animas Forks?

Were y'all able to piece together a decent ride anywhere off Animas Forks?

Most of our rides were out and back. We were told you could get over Hurricane and California as of Saturday. You will have a good time.

Attached is the board at the coffee shop.

Last edited:
Just came back from a week in CO.

Twin Lakes I couldnt find any trails above 10500' that are open.

Taylor park area had most trails open (as per the ATV rental guy)

Crested Butte was drowned in snow. Just a few miles of lower trails .

Lake City had a few trails open. (Upper Carson and Nellie Creek are the best for now) Rode for 3 days there and didn't get bored. Did get stuck in some quicksand mud at one point. Alpine loop closed.
Lots of avalanche damage including the sheriff's house and many trees.

Yes, David, California and Hurricane are now open. Still a lot of snow up high, im thinking of taking my snowbike to Silverton this week!

Yes, David, California and Hurricane are now open. Still a lot of snow up high, im thinking of taking my snowbike to Silverton this week!
When we went across Ophir, at the top, there were several people hiking up to summit and snow boarding down. Saw several with traditional skis too.

Lots of avalanche damage including the sheriff's house and many trees.

His house wasn't damaged, it was wiped out! :-P It was literally gone. Amazingly, he and both his daughters survived. That happened a while back though, sometime around the beginning of the year I think. My pastor's family goes to Lake City every year for their annual family vacation. They had friends there at the time that texted them pictures of the carnage. In the after pic, you'd never have known a house had ever been there!

Back