• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

EAST TX: Want to Buy Beginner Dirt Bike

j650gs

Reaction score
Looking for something for my 11 year old. He outgrew the Razor MX350 a long time ago! Maybe 70-110cc. I have a budget, so not wanting to spend a fortune. Let me know if you are wanting to let something go. Have trailer, will travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you care if it has a clutch? Bikes like the CRF110 or TTR110E don't have clutches, which my kids have enjoyed. But I also have an XR80R with a clutch. That is the bike I want them to learn next.

Would prefer no clutch, but that’s not a deal breaker.

Then the CRF110 and TTR110E are both good, but my concern would be that he might out grow them if he's a tall kid. I can ride both but I look like a Shriner dude in a parade... minus the hat. The XR80R is actually taller and bigger framed than both the 110s, but it has the clutch. For an 80, it has some nice get up and go! I usually ride that when chasing the kids on their 110s. Still crowded for me, but better than the 110s. When I was shopping, used 110s were hard to find, but they had not been out that long. You might have better luck now.

There are also the CRF100Fs. They have clutches but are sized more like the XR80R. Taller than the CRF110/TTR110E.

I spent a LOT of time looking here http://www.bikefinds.com/

Most of the ones I could find were far away though :doh:

I eventually bought the CRF110F new (three kids will get to ride it) and traded for the TTR110E with Pkiser here on TWT (also lives in Huntsville).

Sounds like you have been down the same road I am going down. He is tall for his age so that is a factor. Not much experience so no clutch would be preferred. Would rather buy used, knowing he will outgrow it pretty quick.

He is tall for his age so that is a factor.
I would remove 70's from your list then, my son is 10 and has about outgrown his CRF70F. As tourmeister said, we sat him on a CRF100F that another kid was riding and frame size was about the same. You might take him around and sit him on some bikes to see what fits him. Too bad the motorcycle show isn't sooner because that's an excellent opportunity to sit them on a lot of bikes at once.

Paging @leadwolf to the white courtesy phone...

His kids might have outgrown some CRF100s they had. But they do have the clutch. Personally, I would look for a bike with a clutch and just get that over with. Kids learn FAST. My son was riding the XR80R with the clutch when he was nine, and he is not a tall kid yet. He fell over a few times when stopping until he figured out how to shift to one side right as he stopped.

750_2161.jpg

750_2185.jpg

750_2231.jpg

750_2239.jpg

750_2302.jpg

750_2350.jpg

at 11-14 yrs of age, & 4' 10"-5'5" look for a bike w/ 19" dia front wheel & 16"dia rear.
Beginner:
XR/CRF100F
TTR125 L
KLX125 L

Intermediate:
CRF150F
KLX150 L

Advanced:
KX100
RM100
KTM 105
CRF150R-Expert

I’m holding for now, not sure which way to go yet. I think Dao hit the mark with his list and Scott with the clutch. I wish you were closer we could try a couple on for size.

Paging @leadwolf to the white courtesy phone...

His kids might have outgrown some CRF100s they had. But they do have the clutch. Personally, I would look for a bike with a clutch and just get that over with. Kids learn FAST. My son was riding the XR80R with the clutch when he was nine, and he is not a tall kid yet. He fell over a few times when stopping until he figured out how to shift to one side right as he stopped.

View attachment 238885

View attachment 238886

View attachment 238887

View attachment 238888

View attachment 238889

View attachment 238890
Agree here. Kids are sponges. Teach them clutch now...they’ll be better riders and drivers, operators of clutched things like tractors and whatnot. Don’t discount their skills.

Still looking...clutch or no clutch...doesn’t matter. I agree, heck, we all learned with one.

I have a CRF230 that I will be selling, it's probably a little tall for him but would be a good bike to grow into

Almost had the perfect bike for you friday. Dad was bidding on a 15 klx110l at an auction. Had highest bid but owner didnt take it

The 230 is a great bike, a little much right now. Mom is not understanding the “grow into it” concept, even on smaller bikes. When I was 12, I was racing a YZ 80. My step-dad had to hold it up so I could get on it at the track. Finally grew into it. I quit racing at 18 because the girlfriend (wife now, said son’s mom) thought it was too “dangerous” and I was in love. Oh well...fun while it lasted.

Back