• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

More of a "two hour ride" than a day ride but at least we got in a little seat time.
TravelDiva and I took advantage of the light traffic here in the Houston area and rode the complete Beltway 8. Driveway to Driveway - 96 miles. Plus we ended our evening adventure with a romantic dinner in the Roostar Vietnamese restaurant parking lot.

Last edited:
More of a "two hour ride" than a day ride but at least we got in a little seat time.
TravelDiva and I took advantage of the light traffic here in the Houston area and rode the complete Beltway 8. Driveway to Driveway - 96 miles. Plus we ended our evening adventure with a romantic dinner in the Roostar Vietnamese restaurant parking lot..

What cost more, the combined tolls you incurred on the Beltway or the Vietnamese dinner? Lol

All fees inside Harris county are waived on beltway8 right now. 😷😷

All fees inside Harris county are waived on beltway8 right now. [emoji40][emoji40]
What? That's what I get for always being away, not up to date. I'm assuming it's because of COVID-19? So once it's over and everybody gets back to work and actually needs to use the Beltway they'll start charging again. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

What? That's what I get for always being away, not up to date. I'm assuming it's because of COVID-19? So once it's over and everybody gets back to work and actually needs to use the Beltway they'll start charging again. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Yes sir, you snooze you lose 😷

All fees inside Harris county are waived on beltway8 right now. 😷😷
I've never taken a joyride all the way around BW8. (I don't know that I've ever experienced anything joyous on BW8 in 30 years) This would be a good time to do so. Thanks for the info. I wonder if Tornado Burger in Stafford is open. They make a real good Philly Cheesesteak.

Daughter decided she is ready to learn the clutch so I knocked the dust off the CRF150 last weekend and cleaned the carb. So today was the day. She did great starting and stopping only stalling it twice.

Daughter decided she is ready to learn the clutch so I knocked the dust off the CRF150 last weekend and cleaned the carb. So today was the day. She did great starting and stopping only stalling it twice.

that’s awesome! But is this the same lil girl that was at @Aspear ‘s? She did so good in that monster of a track.

Last edited:
Yes that’s her. In the past she was riding her 110f auto clutch and wouldn’t shift. She would just put it in 2nd and go. Today she was using 1st, 2nd and 3rd. after a few minutes she was getting the hang of when to upshift and downshift on her own.

TravelDiva and I took advantage of the light traffic here in the Houston area and rode the complete Beltway 8. Driveway to Driveway - 96 miles. Plus we ended our evening adventure with a romantic dinner in the Roostar Vietnamese restaurant parking lot. View attachment 258992

View attachment 258989

View attachment 258990

View attachment 258991
I love night rides. They're peaceful.

I don't do much night rides near Thorndale way to many hogs on roadside. Had two close encounters on my bikes. The county rarly mows the road sides. Hog eyes don't glow under headlight like deer. I bet it would be rough hitting a herd of pigs. The board may attack you on the ground or a slow with babies.

I went out yesterday with another rider. No pictures here, sorry! We rode a modified Bellville loop that was recently posted by Glen (@EETTU). I modified the loop to start in the North West, include a couple water crossing and fewer southern dirt roads. Two thirds of the ride was very enjoyable. Then the inevitable happened, my KTM broke down (calling @dirtryder to the podium). Well, it really didn't break down, the fuel filters plugged. It has been a long time since they plugged the last time, about three years and 20,000 miles ago. Not bad. But, when they plugged it was minor and didn't stop the bike. However, I learned something ...

And this is for David (@my6) or anyone else with a 990. When the fuel filters partially plugged, it leaned the motor and it started backfiring. I think the lean backfire blew out the graphite gaskets between the header pipe and the muffler pipes. This same thing happened to me in South America, but I didn't realize why. Now I think I do. And because regular muffler gaskets aren't as temperature resistant like the graphites, I couldn't keep gaskets in the exhaust and rode 3,000 miles sounding like a Harley with no damage. That gave me enough confidence to ride home yesterday, with the exhaust leak and the sputtering fuel supply. David, you SHOULD order a fuel filter kit AND two graphite header pipe gaskets for that day when this WILL happen. I have those parts spare and will begin working on the 990 today (but will order another set of backups).

I apologized to the other rider for shortening the ride, but he seemed to understand. I will make it a point to get out with the 990 again to do the complete route.

I went out yesterday with another rider. No pictures here, sorry! We rode a modified Bellville loop that was recently posted by Glen (@EETTU). I modified the loop to start in the North West, include a couple water crossing and fewer southern dirt roads. Two thirds of the ride was very enjoyable. Then the inevitable happened, my KTM broke down (calling @dirtryder to the podium). Well, it really didn't break down, the fuel filters plugged. It has been a long time since they plugged the last time, about three years and 20,000 miles ago. Not bad. But, when they plugged it was minor and didn't stop the bike. However, I learned something ...

And this is for David (@my6) or anyone else with a 990. When the fuel filters partially plugged, it leaned the motor and it started backfiring. I think the lean backfire blew out the graphite gaskets between the header pipe and the muffler pipes. This same thing happened to me in South America, but I didn't realize why. Now I think I do. And because regular muffler gaskets aren't as temperature resistant like the graphites, I couldn't keep gaskets in the exhaust and rode 3,000 miles sounding like a Harley with no damage. That gave me enough confidence to ride home yesterday, with the exhaust leak and the sputtering fuel supply. David, you SHOULD order a fuel filter kit AND two graphite header pipe gaskets for that day when this WILL happen. I have those parts spare and will begin working on the 990 today (but will order another set of backups).

I apologized to the other rider for shortening the ride, but he seemed to understand. I will make it a point to get out with the 990 again to do the complete route.

I have "filter socks" in both tanks that are hopefully doing their jobs at this time. If you get the opportunity shoot those part numbers to me. Thanks for the heads up and I will. Gotta spend Uncle Sugar's stimulus money on something when I get it. :thumb:

Last edited:
I have "filter socks" in both tanks that are hopefully doing their jobs at this time. If you get the opportunity shoot those part numbers to me. Thanks for the heads up and I will. Gotta spend Uncle Sugar's stimulis money on something when i get it. :thumb:

I hope I'm wrong, but unless your filter socks, filter micro level particles, I don't think they will stop the contamination that is plugging the filters. But they can't hurt.

When I remove my filters, they are discolored but I can't see any particular matter in them. This is my fifth set of filters and will be my third set of exhaust gaskets. Usually I can tell when the filters are starting to be a problem (but not always). There is a little resistance to roll on power, then the backfiring and finally clogging that gets worse as you ride. First time experience gets you really wondering what the heck is going on??? Fuel pump, electronic ignition, injector problems???? But, it always seems to be the filters. After three or four times, you shrug your shoulders, put in a new set of filters and move on. Now, I realize I will want to keep a set of graphite exhaust seals nearby as well. I usually take the gas in the bike and put it into the lawn mower or power washer, etc, because it works just fine. But it will plug up the KTM filters.

As of yet I have not had any issues with my 990 since I got it(I should never have said that huh?) But I will heed your advice and watch youtube to figure out what to do when that day comes. Thanks...

Finally got out on the bike for a little ride around the block. I hit a variety of roads from smooth slab to bumpy country roads, but no gravel. Big Connie doesn't like gravel much.
1586903397602.png

AT&SF Locomotive #3417. It ran a passenger route from Cleburne to Purcell, OK. I've been in love with this locomotive for nearly 40 years. I went to see it as often as my parents would take me when I was a kid, and did the same for my kids when they were little. They also loved it when they were kids, but haven't remained as enchanted by trains into adulthood as I have. It's been static in Cleburne's Hulen Park since 1955. There have been several unsuccessful attempts over the years to restore it to running condition.
IMG_20200414_144918.jpg

It's a really nice drive through Cleburne State Park.
IMG_20200414_152200.jpg

IMG_20200414_152455.jpg

I always stop at Brazos Point when I'm out this way. Seeing this bridge never gets old. I hope it stands for my lifetime.
IMG_20200414_153859.jpg

IMG_20200414_153937.jpg

From Brazos Point I made my way back home via more highway, FM's, and CR's. Nice little ride just under 100 miles.

It was good to get out.

The last few days around my house have been, frenetic. A big storm on Sunday knocked down a 35' pine tree in my back yard about 7 pm, which took out the power line. Power was restored on Monday at 3 pm. Yay! But the power restore surge killed the mother board on the water heater. Ended up replacing the whole heater. Boo! Been working on whittling down the tree. Bought a new electric corded chain saw and 100' extension cord for the job. Yay! A couple hours later I cut the extension cord with the saw :doh: Boo! Found an old 100' cord and got back to work. Note to self: buy solder gun and solder, watch youtube vid about soldering.

So today was reserved for a day ride. Great weather, 70 for a high, clear & sunny skies. So fixed a lunch (drive-thru tough to do on a bike), got on the riding gear, and took off.

Today's transport mode:
Trip 1.jpg

I'd drawn up a meandering route to Palestine, the main way of going was FM 315. A popular riding road here in E. TX it's got some decent curvy stuff which goes through some really nice rural areas. It ends up on Hwy 155 just north of Palestine. This building on the corner, which was the Landmark Academy (now closed) used to be the Palestine Honda dealership in the 1980's:
Trip 2.jpg

Ate lunch there and started heading back home. I had a predetermined route planned, but I ended up amending it a few times. My iPhone mapping got real basic being outside a strong signal. So between that, Google Map, and some dead reckoning I ended up a little off my planned route. Saw this great gate on the way:
Trip 3.jpg

I got on a decent shortcut on CR 309 to get me to Hwy 175 just west of Cuney. 309 started out as an asphalt road, and I had no plans for any off road stuff. But after about two miles on 309 the asphalt ran out:
Trip 4.jpg

It turned out to be a fun kinda scrabbly dirt road, about two miles worth, which I'd enjoyed more if I didn't have to make sure I stayed on 309 and not turn off some side roads, no road signs out here.. Wish I'd had my son's GoPro with me. Now that I know the road I'll include it on a future ride.

Took a roundabout route back home. The ride gave me a chance to try out the recently installed California Science Sport shield. It gives better protection that the OEM shield with much less turbulence around my helmet.

I got out for a burger run yesterday over to Celina, really nice day outside.

Before I left the house, I had every intention of riding the Mighty K, but wound up riding the Goose... such a fun bike to ride.

81678FC3-D0B6-4A60-AC3F-6BBC7A597D20.jpeg

Last edited:
Back