• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Back to Groveton...

BTW, the truck driver in the picture seemed to want to fight me for some reason, weird. Didn't hang around to find out. I don't "carry" and too old to fight!

Perhaps, as you said, his perception was that you were a sightseer? I'm with you, I don't carry either, but even if I did, I still would have taken off!

Perhaps, as you said, his perception was that you were a sightseer? I'm with you, I don't carry either, but even if I did, I still would have taken off!
Don't think he liked bikes. Who knows.

Little worried about that stretch right after Groveton and the washed out bridge could be soft. Won't do either if I'm alone.

Reactions: my6
Wednesday at 9 at New Waverly Burger King, 45 and FM 1374. FWIW, this won't be a race but also will not be a smell the flowers ride! Try to keep a good pace.

Looks like 4 maybe 5 of us! Hope roads are just right.

Aaawwww ratpoop! Wish I could join ya'll but bills gotta be paid...pics pics pics...

Wednesday at 9 at New Waverly Burger King, 45 and FM 1374. FWIW, this won't be a race but also will not be a smell the flowers ride! Try to keep a good pace.
I saw this late so I missed it. Started my 10 year bike maintenance a year early today, so I'll have to start riding dirt bikes for awhile.

Roads were dry, no water over the pipes, never seen that before. That said, the dirt road after Groveton is still treacherous on a big bike. The worst mud hole almost got me. Couple of other tricky spots on it. Maybe they'll grade it soon. Washed out bridge is replaced. So good to go but for that one spot.

@woodsguy is it mud that makes the dirt road you're talking about treacherous? Why big bike treacherous? Is it the tires?
Road is bone dry except one really, REALLY bad spot. There's a couple of other pucker spots if you're not comfortable riding a ridge between mud holes. A little un-nerving.
I'm sure tires would have helped, some. Where I got hung up with a little more guts I might have made it, might. With these heavy bikes and limited ground clearance, it's hard. And where I was if I screwed up and tipped over I would have had a real problem then. The whole road is a mosh pit at this spot, deep. A little more confidence and maybe, never know now but all's good. The African Twin wanted no part of it, so 3 of us walked it along a narrow ledge up above the mud. That wasn't easy either, lol. The 790 slipped and got hung up a little with good tires(he was first through), 690 @GSTJOHN picked a good line and had very little trouble. Of course with every bike the rut got deeper and wetter!!

Pics of the infamous mudspot? I'm betting it's the same place Wolfen got stuck and I went to the extreme left which was surprisingly firm.

Back