• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I did a thing. Finally. DR 650

Reaction score
Actually found this bike because of a member here.

After months of talking about it....I did it. She joins the Triumph and Shadow.

I did about 100 miles. While she is buzzy and out in the wind, it is a very comfortable riding position.

Rode near the King Ranch out by a massive wind turbine farm. Some are really close to the road. You can ride right up to them.

It was nice.

I did about 100 miles. While she is buzzy and out in the wind, it is a very comfortable riding position.

Rode near the King Ranch out by a massive wind turbine farm. Some are really close to the road. You can ride right up to them.

It was nice.
The Suzuki DR Whether a DR 650 or a DRZ 400 - Great bikes in my opinion

You made a good choice. I have 2 of them and the kids will choose them over my Busa. Go figure

I did about 100 miles ... Rode near the King Ranch out by a massive wind turbine farm. Some are really close to the road. You can ride right up to them.

Nice !!! Pics pls or you know it never happened. ;-)

Tell me about the Cogent stuff please. A friend did the Race Tech mods and it worked very well.
Rick and Todd at Cogent Dynamics in North Carolina are the bomb for DR suspension. Rick designed a custom sick for the bike and drop in "cartridge" valves for the forks. Pair that with the right springs and it's a whole new bike. Rick owns 2 DRs and is the expert on suspension for them.

I had his stuff in mine and it was incredible the difference. Can't recommend them enough. Call or email them. They get all sorts of info from you so they can take the suspension setup to your weight and riding.

I rode all three bikes today. (And I have owned a lot of bikes over the years, but never a modern dual sport or adventure bike)

From the perspective of simply sitting on a bike and going down the road at a steady 65-70 the DR 650 is pretty damned magical. It just feels “right” and I think I understand why people love the seating position on adventure/dual sport bikes.

From the perspective of simply sitting on a bike and going down the road at a steady 65-70 the DR 650 is pretty damned magical. It just feels “right” and I think I understand why people love the seating position on adventure/dual sport bikes.

When I got rid of my KLR I bought a Triumph Tiger 1050 and thought it would be a suitable replacement. It wasn't, and a couple years later I bought a KTM 1290. The Tiger just didn't do it. The KTM feels right. Sounds like you're always going to have an adventure/dual sport in the garage.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have one, my son has one , a couple of the guys that used go with us to Colorado have them. Logged many trouble free miles. If you hold on and gas it it will go most anywhere. Only problem we ever had was the petcock. First time one filled the air box with gas and put about 2 gallons into the crankcase. Second event on a different one opened the garage door and there was a gas puddle 10 ft. wide on the floor. Lucky to have detached garage, even then very scary.

It will work. I have racks (rear and pannier) on order. But tomorrow I am going for my first ride off road.(with a member from here and I am grateful to him)

So I took an old tail bag and zip tied the thing on. 🙂

It ain’t pretty but I would rather ride than look good.

That must be an '14. I almost traded a Sprint GT for a brand new leftover back in '16(?). It sat unloved on this particular dealer showroom floor for the longest time. Not the most exciting color scheme I suppose. I thought it suited the understated character of the DR650 perfectly.

The bush pig is the kind of bike I just can't stop going back and forth on whether to get one.

That must be an '14. I almost traded a Sprint GT for a brand new leftover back in '16(?). It sat unloved on this particular dealer showroom floor for the longest time. Not the most exciting color scheme I suppose. I thought it suited the understated character of the DR650 perfectly.

The bush pig is the kind of bike I just can't stop going back and forth on whether to get one.

It is a 13

This morning waiting on @pilot815 to put up with my slow bike all day :)

We drove all manner of back roads and ended up around George West.

Back