• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Empire of Dirt - Colorado 2020 v1

Favorite Pass to ride in the San Juan Mtns?

• Total voters
Plan for today is depart Ridgway and ride over Dallas Divide on Last Dollar Road. It’s very scenic and easy as long as it’s dry. We’ll grab a bite in Telluride and then make our way over Ophir Pass before turning north on 550 and heading back.

Plan for today is depart Ridgway and ride over Dallas Divide on Last Dollar Road. It’s very scenic and easy as long as it’s dry. We’ll grab a bite in Telluride and then make our way over Ophir Pass before turning north on 550 and heading back.
Ophir has big rocks...sounds like a fun. challenge. :)

550 is a great road and is still fun on a dirt bike. Have a great ride.

Side note...hopefully Telluride isn't all shut down from Covid. They were pretty extreme earlier in the summer. They may have relaxed some.

Telluride was wide open. Everyone is wearing a mask, but it IS open.

Few more shots from yesterday - clearly not in a rush this morning.

0C4B2CAB-F0BA-4AE5-8335-A29A9B868B8B.jpeg

255C1FF2-FECF-4633-A98A-BCABC996EB6F.jpeg

How were the steps on Black Bear? When I last went down in 2018, it was very torn up and rough. Not long ago I saw a video of a bull dozer working on the steps, perhaps trying to smooth them out a bit? One was so high I almost went over the front of my KTM 530 EXC when the front tire dropped off it!

I’m here, so life is good. However, it looks like the clutch slave cylinder is going out on the 690. Comes back once it cools, but seems I should turn towards the house before I can’t start it.

68DE400D-1E87-4162-A792-27AB504FBB92.jpeg

Bummer to hear mid trip. I was told that was a frequent failure point on low mileage Husky 450's. Maybe other KTM/Husky's as well?

I just had mine replaced with the Rekluse version (not the whole clutch, just that one piece) as I was told the OEM's continue to fail when replaced under warranty.

They said when it goes, you have no more clutch function. Whatever gear you are in, that's the one it stays in.

However, it looks like the clutch slave cylinder is going out on the 690. Comes back once it cools, but seems I should turn towards the house before I can’t start it.

View attachment 270842

that slave prob is on a 2019 690? my buddy's 2019 690 slave went out on him right about 1000 mile mark. He lost faith in the stocker and upgraded to that high dollar oberon slave unit. my other buddy , 2019 701 w/ 400 miles, he also bought the oberon after hearing about this failure.

I’m here, so life is good. However, it looks like the clutch slave cylinder is going out on the 690. Comes back once it cools, but seems I should turn towards the house before I can’t start it.

View attachment 270842
Is that system mineral oil or Dot 4? Wonder if using high temp stable DOT 5 would give better results if you did a full flush.

Hope you fix it. That's a long way to go and have the ride end with a mechanical failure.

Limped home the 30 or so miles with only hard shifts. Worked fine and then I made some calls.

Shout out to Todd Tarver at SLM motor sports in Arlington. They’ve got a Rekluse slave cylinder on the way to the Montrose UPS store. Should be there tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. He had several in stock due to the regular failures.

We will ride again! Stay tuned. 👍

Limped home the 30 or so miles with only hard shifts. Worked fine and then I made some calls.

Shout out to Todd Tarver at SLM motor sports in Arlington. They’ve got a Rekluse slave cylinder on the way to the Montrose UPS store. Should be there tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. He had several in stock due to the regular failures.

We will ride again! Stay tuned. 👍
Todd rocks.

He replaced mine as well.

We will ride again! Stay tuned. [emoji106]
Todd's a great guy. Great news.

I really like that spot on Last Dollar Hwy. And that mud does get slick when wet!!

Clutch parts waiting at UPS store in Montrose, but they’ll still be there this evening, so we took off this morning for a hike up Governor Basin.

The road in and out has a few tight spots.

38A370C2-E1F5-4F0E-9A4A-4F2C58FB79A0.jpeg

We hiked from the road junction of Yankee Boy and Governor Basin - that’s about as far as I wanted to bump along in the 3/4 ton.

It’s an out-n-back, but there several good camping spots and it’s easy for a big bike. Saw several jeeps and a few RZR’s. One Texan on an ATV tried to pick up Heather!

At the top I made a Beef Stroganoff boil-in-bag meal and we enjoyed the views. Was about 2.5 hrs up and 1 down. We dorked around at some of the old mines looking for minerals in the tailings on the way up.

Heather enjoying the finest Beef freeze dry.
75DF986A-4531-42A1-B393-A5F98A1B1F20.jpeg

95A90392-9E3C-4D89-9A14-2415AB3CF76C.jpeg

Now off to UPS!

Back