• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Terlingua-Must do pavement, easy, well traveled gravel.

Auto

Reaction score
Heading down this week, getting there a day early before the group, looking for some good rides on slab, then some easier well traveled roads on gravel. TY in advance.

Terlingua -> Presidio down "River Road". Few better roads in Texas.

Then, gravel on Casa Piedra up to Marfa.

I would combine both suggestions. Do River Road west to Presidio then hit Casa Piedra north, reach Marfa and up the observatory, down to Fort Davis then Alpine back to Terlingua.

Other option is to ride Pinto Canyon instead of Casa Piedra, which is west of Presidio. But it has more hill climbs. It’s much prettier than Casa Piedra tho.

Casa Piedra and Pinto Canyon are both nice but to do it all in one day might be a bit much.
Maybe split into 2 days to have time to sight see.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I would combine both suggestions. Do River Road west to Presidio then hit Casa Piedra north, reach Marfa and up the observatory, down to Fort Davis then Alpine back to Terlingua.

Other option is to ride Pinto Canyon instead of Casa Piedra, which is west of Presidio. But it has more hill climbs. It’s much prettier than Casa Piedra tho.

Quality of Pinto Canyon Road and amount of traffic?

I did it on an FZ1. North to south is easier because it's more down hill. It's maintained, just not really well. I've ridden it 3 times and I doubt I've seen ten vehicles total, zero motorcycles that were not with me.

Literally zero traffic, plan on being alone. There a couple miles that are loose rock with a decent climb (heading north) up out of the canyon. Beautiful.

"Wow."
Ray was on an FZ09. Mark turned around on his Honda 1000.
1618888222939.png

It was cold. Note the red electrical plug sticking out of Ray's pocket for his jacket liner and gloves.
1618888553566.png

I saw two cars, one was border patrol.

To me the road is maintained class 1. As others mentioned going north there are some climbs that may have some gravel/rocks at the crest. It was an easy road for my intermediate experience.

1D43084E-03D7-4572-AD77-EADB6CEB295F.jpeg

It's according to how much it's rained recently. The steep stuff can get pretty rutted. OP, just ride it, it's scenic. If it gets too rough, turn around.
1618889845378.png

Most of what some consider rough roads is no worse than my driveway. It is funny that you asked about must do paved roads. There are only like 4 paved roads in the whole area.

Back