• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Track day 30 Oct

mhutch

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hutchinson
Took the Hawk 650 to the track looking like a proper budget nekkid bike. No fairing, no fender, wires hanging out the front... Had more fun than should be allowed by law passing liter bikes, 600's and other exotica only to get spanked on the straight and then catch them again through the infield. The handling and corner speed was fantastic and I was amazed how quickly I got my knees down after not being on a track for 15 years. Overall it was a killer day and I am beat. Others have their stories to tell so let's hear them. Good seeing some old friends as well.

It was a fun day! It was a pleasure meeting everyone out there.

I'll post my photo's as soon as I figure out how.

It was a long but beautiful day. :sun:

It was great to have two more VFRs next to me. I had a lot of fun meeting Rossco and Hugh (vfrhugh). It was also very nice to meet tigernight and Hugh's buddy Dave. I'll post some pics from the pits later.

I learnt tons. Just having started riding in February and this being my first trackday, I took it very easy. I also had my parents out to watch and didn't want them to see anything they shouldn't. :trust: Needless to say, my Dad wanted me to pick it up a notch as well as lean much more but I let my mom pick that battle. ;-) My goal was to learn, stay smooth and go home in one piece.

Overall, I learnt a lot, the class room sessions were very helpful and my instructor Ronny was just awesome!!! I had not one session without him showing up either behind me or him having me follow him at least once.

The very last session of the day, I put it all together from what I had learnt and did pick it up a notch, taking my chickenstrip down by half. Smooth was the keyword of the day and an instructor's commentary of my part on the video was just that. So, overall, I was very happy but totally exhausted. I'll definitely do it again and can only recommend it to any new rider. It is so nice to just be able to concentrate on lines and braking and picking reference points and seat and not having to worry about traffic, road conditions (gravel), etc. :mrgreen:

mhutch, were you in B group? If so think I was on one of the fancy 600s that you passed, lol. I remember a moment coming up the embankment on to the main straight. A guy on a bike like you describe came along side of me. I looked over and this person was looking at me and vigorously bobbing his head up and down as if to urge his bike to go faster (at least I think that’s what he was doing :mrgreen: ). I was laughing my butt off because I recognized the body language from my days of riding in C group with my Bandit 600 and trying to get the jump on slower ridden GSXR1000's coming out of that turn.

Anyway, when I saw that I backed it down a notch and let the faster guys by, lol.

It was a decent day for me. Had one squirrelly moment when a yellow ducati put a very ugly pass on me. It was my first time back on the track in a while. I was very rusty and definitely slow. But the objective for me was just to stay out of trouble and have fun. Mission accomplished I think.

Monday was great day for me also. It’s been awhile since my last track day. I think it was April 05. I had my little SV back then.
Sweet track bike but a little cramped for my old knees.
sv.jpg

Here are a few photos from Monday.
I don’t need a computer Dave.
computer.jpg

I’m pedaling as fast as I can.
pedaling.jpg

Viffer Convetion!
viffers.jpg

Oops!!
oops.jpg

Hugh:rider:

Thanks for the write up Hugh. I loved seeing that yellow VFR.

His name is David and he's an engineer I met him at work a few years ago. He’s a great guy who I ride with occasionally on Sunday morning rides and almost all track days. He rarely misses a one. Before the SV he rode a 1200 Bandit. He doesn't have a computer or cable TV. If you run into him at a track day or out riding in east Texas, stop and say howdy to him. He's really an interesting guy. I keep trying to get him to Arkansas for one of the TWTEX rides but he travels a lot and has been out of the country every time so far.

vfrhugh said:
I’m pedaling as fast as I can.
pedaling.jpg

Hutch, this picture of you on your bike is great! I don't know how you can stand all that windflow. :lol2:

vfrhugh said:
Viffer Convetion!
viffers.jpg

Great picture! Aren't they purdy! They look like the three VFR-musketeers. :sun: :rider: (In the background, you see Skid, my mom and I. At some point my mom got so excited about me being "so much faster" in my last session, she wished she had a timer to see how I had 'improved'. :lol2: )

I didn't get a chance to post my pics last night as I was busy studying after bike night. Maybe tonight.

I ran across these pearls of wisdom while cleaning out my mail box and thought this would be a good place to post them.

ADVANCED RIDING RULES AND TIPS

Counter Steering
If you push the left bar, the bike goes left.
If you push the right bar, the bike goes right.
That is, unless you keep pushing the right bar all the way, then you
will probably go left while the bike swaps ends.

Crashing
Remember riding isn't inherently dangerous...crashing is.

Fuel
The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

The Rear Wheel
The rear wheel is just a big fan used to keep the Rider cool and hisbutt relaxed. If in doubt... watch. When it locks up or slides out you can actually see the rider start sweating and pucker marks are left on the seat.

Too Slow
No one has ever hit something too slow.

Rides
A 'good' ride is one you can walk away from.
A 'great' ride is one you can walk away from and use the bike again.

Getting Hit
They can't hit you if you're not there.

Mistakes
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Side Stands
You know you've left the side stand down when all left turns are Bat-turns.

Center Stands
You know you've left the center stand down when you're in top gear at 4000 rpm going nowhere.

Traction
When traction is sparse, the probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of lean. Large angle of lean, small probability of survival and vice versa.

*Your Brain*
Never let a motorcycle take you somewhere your brain didn't go five seconds earlier.

Fog
Stay out of fog. The single red taillight you think is another rider ahead that you can catch, might be the red starboard light of a docked boat.

Parking
Always try to keep the number of times you park the bike equal to the number of times you've ridden it.

Luck & Experience
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Mirrors
If all you can see in your mirrors is the direction you were previously traveling intermingled with sparks, and all you can hear is commotion from the passenger riding pillion; things are not at all as they should be.

Other Objects
In the ongoing battle between objects made of metal, rubber and plastic going dozens of miles per hour, and the ground going zero miles per hour, the ground has yet to lose. Same holds for cars, trucks, walls and most animals. Draws don't count.

Judgement
Good judgement comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgement.

Going Forward
It's always a good idea to keep the headlight end going forward as much as possible.

Looking
Keep looking around. There's always something you've missed.

Laws
Remember, gravity and centrifugal force are not just good ideas. The're laws not subject to repeal!

There is one other law that is constantly unsuccessfully challenged:

No two objects can occupy the same space at the same time.

Finally got some pics uploaded.

Lunchtalk, from left to right, VFRHugh, RosscoB, MHutch, Skid.

LSTDTrackday10_30_Theguys.jpg

Tigerknight

LSTDTrackday10_30Tigerknight.jpg

Tigerknight's Honda ST1100 in good company

LSTDTrackday10_30TigerknightsBike.jpg

LSTDTrackday10_30Bikes1.jpg

Mhutch's new racing Hawk

LSTDTrackday10_30Hawk.jpg

Mike, your problem is a lack of go fast stickers... Get more!

Back