• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where is everybody (scooter riders)?

I seem to get a lot of questions when I am on mine. Usually in line with "did you ride that all the way here?". There are many riders who will eschew the use of anything less than 100 cubic inches or not outfitted with acres of chrome. Riding a scooter (maxi or smaller) takes a little getting used to. Not that you give up anything when you ride but they are not as accepted by some big bike riders. As far as ease of riding, I actually prefer the big Burgman over my other bikes for commuting and short rides. It would be okay on longer trips but you have to plan for more frequent fuel stops.

2018 Yamaha SMax ride it like you stole it and just added a Yamaha Tenere 700. The SMax is still fun to ride. Less likely to get in trouble on the scoot.

2018 Yamaha SMax ride it like you stole it and just added a Yamaha Tenere 700. The SMax is still fun to ride. Less likely to get in trouble on the scoot.
I sat on a SMax in the showroom and the hump of the seat was right where I landed. Were you able to fix that?

Time for a check in again. The current viral events going on within the last year have put a damper on my riding to be sure. I didn't participate in the craziness so my riding was curtailed a bit. Not so many places open to go to. I spend time between my Burgman and my Triumph. Where's the rest of you all located? I'm in far NE Texas and only recently thawed out and dug out of the snow here.

I'm still here in Terrell. Not riding nearly as much since the pandemic but still putting some miles on the Burgmans. The group I ride with gave up our all day rides to a lunch spot and back when everything shut down. Now we mostly do 1/2 day rides in a big loop.

Things have thawed out after the deep freeze last week. Took advantage yesterday and took both bikes out to exercise them a little. Put about 65 miles on each one.

PCX150 here. Too small to take on the highway so it’s mainly relegated to within a few miles of the house.
Welcome sir.
I ride a Burgman and when the weather and work allows, try to get out as much as possible. I am hoping for a better riding year in the days ahead. Winter has worn me out this time.

Icebear Vision 150
20210318_134528.jpg

Who makes that?
Icebear.......is all I know.
It's an inexpensive Chinese scooter. Supposedly a little better quality than some of the others. There's a big thread on advrider about them.

Seemed like a good way to find out if I'm a scooter person.

Nice to see some others here. For awhile I thought it was only me. For those who haven't ridden one, they will just never know about the fun of riding a scooter.

Looks right to me. I haven't ridden a smaller displacement scooter for a long time but for several years have been riding a big Burgman. Nothing quite like it for getting around and touring also. I make regular runs between Texas and Illinois.

We’ve used our little PCX twice while on vacation. Easy enough to load it onto the truck. Took with us once to Key West and another time to Branson. Both are so congested they lend themselves well to small scoots. Wife and it aren’t small people by any means, but I’ve personally seen 3 persons during multiple occasions on 50cc scooters in the Greek islands and some of the pacific nations have whole families on a moped, so it didn’t bother me too much to have the two of us on a 150cc scooter.

I Just had to clean out the carb on my stella 4T. I couldn't be happier with how easy it is to do. I only get to put about a couple 100 miles on it each year and last year I think I only put about 20 miles on it. I normally ride it to the brewery here in Katy or the market days but we all know what happened.

Update and check in here. I brought my big burger down with me when I returned in May. Anyone else still riding their scooter and willing to admit it? With some semblance of normalcy returning this year, I have good intentions of getting a couple good trips on mine. Maybe Big Bend and West Texas when I can get away from the office.

Question for scooter owners: My wife wants to buy a scooter. If she gets a 150, with a max speed of around 60mph, I understand she can't ride in freeways but what about two lane highways between towns?

Question for scooter owners: My wife wants to buy a scooter. If she gets a 150, with a max speed of around 60mph, I understand she can't ride in freeways but what about two lane highways between towns?
Yes, if she'd like to.

Good question with a lot of possible answers. Here's mine.
Help her decide what type of riding she wants to do. If it includes riding on the super slab at all, get a bike with more displacement. The weight difference even up to the 400ish cc is pretty small from a 150 cc bike. If her riding will be not on the highways but only on city streets and around town, the 150 should work. Better to have more displacement than you need than to not have it when it really counts. A 150 will struggle to run highway speeds and being out there struggling to keep up is not an enjoyable way to ride.
As said above.
My opinion.

My response would be the same. If all you are riding is town streets a 150 will work fine. If you plan to ride 55 mph roads a 200 or 250 would work better.

Back