• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

Put new shoes on so had to go try them out. Ran about 60 miles, 20 gravel and the rest blacktop. These tires are a big improvement in gravel, somewhat better in sand, and blacktop yet to decide. Seem to wonder a bit on the hard surface, but I have not dialed in pressures and they only have 60 miles on them.

bridge1-072321.jpg

bridge2-072321.jpg

Check your tire pressures, my doesn't wander at all. I run stock tire psi.

Took the pressures up 4 pounds each to 33 and 41. Ran another 80 miles this morning with them before it got to hot. It did help some. Wander is probably nor the correct term, it is just more apt to react to uneveness in the road surface. Not a big deal just different than it was. It does not follow crevices, cracks and the like but I do feel them more. Could have to do with my suspension settings also. I am horrible at setting suspension.

7-25-21-cattle-guard.jpg

7-25-21-curved-bridge-road.jpg

7-25-21-straight-road-texas-brush.jpg

I carried an electric air pump and would drop my big bike tires to 23-25# on loose gravel and pump it up to 36# when I got back on pavement.
This was on my DL1000 Adv. My XR650 doesn't care it tracks great if tire choice is correct. I have two sets of wheels with calipers. One knobblies and one 80/20.
Lately the 705's do just fine on our grated roads.
I have noticed on any bike if the engine is spun up with a lower gear they seem more in control for me. Once I drop and dent a bike they do much better on gravel :)
That is one good looking bike you have,

Managed to get out early and get some miles in before the heat got too oppressive today. This northern blood is still not thinned out!! Rode from Boerne over some Hill Country Roads I had not ridden before over near Old Tunnel State Park. Found the city of Toonstone while out riding. The roads were awesome from a twisty perspective.

Old Tunnel State Park.jpg

Welcome ro Toonstone.jpg

Town of Toonstone.jpg

Got out early again today, managed to get 100 or so miles in and enjoyed it before the heat got too bad. Even managed to stop at the Apple Store and didn't cost me a fortune.

Apple Store.jpg

Who knew Medina had an Apple Store.

Thank you I like the looks of them, are they any lower than the original?
I love them,little pain to mount or I'm dumb. Not sure. Yes they're reversible, can mount stock or lower. 2 peg heights that can be mounted in different ways. Also angle is adjustable, have mine pushing my knees in.

JT and I left my place this morning headed out to ride Hackberry and Bullhead roads. I was excited to find out how Makenzie and I would do on the unpaved sections.

We enjoyed the cool morning air and very light traffic as we wound along hwy 39 thru Hunt. At one point we switched bikes. I think John was surprised and pleased by the little bike’s performance.

We began Hackberry from hwy 41.

IMG_20210801_102555200.jpg

The road was dry and the water levels were low, making for a fun, stress- free ride. Wildlife encountered, 2 large glossy green snakes, one baby cottontail, 3 wild turkeys, assorted white tails and a lone male blackbuck. We also saw lots of smiling and waving campers as we passed thru Camp Eagle.

Popping out onto RR335, we rode into Barksdale and on to Camp Wood for lunch at Casa Falcon.

Retracing north on 335 back to Barksdale to pick up 2631. I always love how this state hwy suddenly dwindles down to an unpaved ranch road. Classic “pavement ends” moment every time.
IMG_20210801_122154844.jpg

Bullhead didn’t disappoint. Makenzie and I successfully pushed the first bump gate. John and his big Strom got the 2nd one.

A couple of the water crossings on this road were slick and gave John on his heavier bike some pucker moments but no one took a bath.

We were starting to feel the heat as we zipped down 336 and into Leakey but we pressed on, looking forward to cutting thru the hills to Vanderpool. About 10 miles or so from Leakey, we were dismayed to find the highway closed and no way to detour.

IMG_20210801_132935377.jpg

Here we are in what little shade there was so John could study the GPS, looking for a detour.

We backtracked to Leakey, taking an ice cream break and sucking up the air conditioning in the big c store.

From there we took 1120 to 1050, riding thru Utopia, taking 187 north to get on 337 toward Medina, then cut thru the canyons on hwy 16 to home.

Roughly 220 miles for the day. I continue to be very pleased with Makenzie’s performance, on paved and unpaved. He got a bath and now, clean and dry, is tucked under a blankie, awaiting our next little adventure.

Last edited:
We rode about 63 miles this evening. Started at a nice 95 degrees and ended at a chilly 92 degrees. We went north around the base then east and south to Garner and Cool. Southeast of Cool to east of the Brock turn off and then stopped for ice cream. Down to 281 and back home.
20210807_202251.jpg

20210807_201758.jpg

20210807_201815.jpg

20210807_193551.jpg

PfCrv9PD-627109659.jpeg

20210807_195157.jpg

Finally got on the bike for a ride. Ran a 165 mile loop. More highway than usual as I would like to do a road trip later that will require lots of highway so thought I should run some. Reminded me why I like the back roads. ;-)

I did manage a few miles of back roads, maybe half the ride. Road a little blacktop and was looking for a place to stop for a drink and pulled in here. Just a pull-out with some parking and a picnic table. Nice and quiet. When I left there was a little bigger area down the road about 150 yards with more tables that looked like it was used more. Nice shady spot to stretch the legs though.

picnic-area-8-5-21-1.jpg

picnic-area-8-5-21-2.jpg

Finally got on the bike for a ride. Ran a 165 mile loop. More highway than usual as I would like to do a road trip later that will require lots of highway so thought I should run some. Reminded me why I like the back roads. ;-)

I did manage a few miles of back roads, maybe half the ride. Road a little blacktop and was looking for a place to stop for a drink and pulled in here. Just a pull-out with some parking and a picnic table. Nice and quiet. When I left there was a little bigger area down the road about 150 yards with more tables that looked like it was used more. Nice shady spot to stretch the legs though.

View attachment 299510

View attachment 299511
I’ve got to get out and see some of these places you are posting up.

I’ve got to get out and see some of these places you are posting up.
Let me know when and we will go. Fair warning though, you ride enough miles and you can find a couple of spots that make good photos. Kind of the, "Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while" deal.

Back