• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

5 Hours Out, 5 Hours Back, 5 Hours Out Again

Reaction score
The plan seemed like a good one; John and I would leave Kerrville Friday after I got off work. We had spent the previous weekend doing final bike prep and I pre_packed everything I could.

The anticipation of returning to Mexico after a pandemic induced hiatus of 2 years made the week crawl by. Friday finally comes but of course, I end up working late. We finally roll out of KVL at 8:30pm, facing a 5 hr drive to a Motel 6 in McAllen, hoping they do more than just leave the light on.

Arrive at 3am, check into the room, shower and nap til 7am. We stumble down to the parking lot and in the gray light of a very humid dawn, we watch the others in our group as they make final preps, mount up, peel out of the parking lot and head for the border, “We’ll be an hour behind y’all!”

A truckload of adv machines
IMG_20220528_024726891.jpg

Our humble rig
IMG_20220528_024747885.jpg

For the drive from KVL and the night in the parking lot, we had stripped the bikes of all bags and gear. Now we work as the temperature climbs to ready the bikes. GPS mounted, bags strapped on and loaded, all the little things that must be done before you begin living off your bike for a week.

The ponies are ready, are the riders?
IMG_20220528_085808448.jpg

After the bikes, we gear up ourselves; armored pants, boots, ear plugs, bandanna, armored jacket, helmet, gloves, water supply. I see John swing his jacket on and reach into the chest pocket. Instantly, fury erupts, expletives fly. I wait until he looks at me and says the fateful words, “I don’t have my blankety blank paperwork.”

I feel my own flash of anger, bite my tongue and walk away. I haven’t gone 10 steps when the anger evaporates. So we lose a day, big deal. I walk back.

We strip off our ride gear, load the bikes back on the trailer and head back to KVL.

John pulls out his long haul trucker chops and drives the whole way back, allowing me to catnap the 5 hours. We reach home, stow the papers in the proper place and are in bed by 5 pm. We sleep til midnight and are back on the road by 1am. John again drives the entire distance. We return to McAllen, drop the truck and trailer at an rv park John has used for this purpose before. Clear customs and immigration and are rolling in Mexico by 1015.

We take fast pavement to catch up with our fellow adventurers. A stop for grilled chicken in Aramberri and a chance encounter with some of our group. What a happy coincidence! We eat and laugh over our misadventures so far.

IMG_20220529_180941618.jpg

When we pull into Hotel Ramirez’ courtyard around 4pm, it is full of adv bikes and a bunch 'o dirty bikers.

First day mileage, about 280.

IMG_20220529_192751795.jpg

Last edited:
Building memories! Does not always go the way we expect, but are often quite memorable. Sounds like you are not letting it ruin the trip. 👍

So in anyway did John blame you for not having the papers😎
:rofl:no, in fact he did not.

Wha happen wuz...At the last minute, he had decided to take a different jacket, failing to retrieve the papers out of the pocket. I'm just glad that jacket with the papers were at my place in kvl. Driving an additional 2+ hours to his place near Elgin...

1st day in General Zaragoza
IMG_20220602_064348.jpg

One of the things I think most first time travelers to Mexico are surprised to learn is how late in the morning restaurants and shops open for business. The traveler is itching to head out on the day’s adventure, only to be stymied, looking for coffee and anything to go with it.

Hungry adventurers, looking for breakfast
IMG_20220530_091642990.jpg

Eventually you learn to try and make arrangements the day before, “ Can you feed x number of hungry americanos at 8 tomorrow morning?” So it was that we had a great breakfast of Mexican coffee and eggs with ham and warm, fresh made tortillas. Ensuring we were well set to start the day.

IMG_20220530_085635320.jpg

Everyone in this group has traveled Mexico before, so tracks and destinations were discussed at breakfast, groups formed and people headed out according to their own desires.

JT (KTM690), Dao (KTM 690), Jesus’ (Tenere 700) and myself (Versys 300x) headed out to do a short (34 miles) out and back. The route was described as “flowy, scenic and easy”. Jesus’ Tenere had worn him out on a strenuous trek yesterday, so he was happy to do something short and sweet. Dao had busted a big toe on the same route that wore Jesus’ out. I’m always a little leery of getting in over my head so easy, short and scenic sound good to me.

Off we go, and as described, our route starts out as a well traveled gravel road winding out of town, quickly gaining elevation and becoming a shelf road in places.

IMG_20220530_110938239.jpg

IMG_20220530_111012527.jpg

We come to the village of Teponades (Sp?) There is a tiny school and the kids are outside at recess. I was surprised to see a couple of male teachers. In fact, the only adults I saw at the school were men. The kids gawk at the gringos on their big bikes while JT confirms the route on his gps. Next door to the school is the previous preschool, now abandoned. I snap a pic of it mainly because I am uncomfortable taking pictures of the kids.

IMG_20220530_112429506.jpg

After the kids went indoors, I snapped pic of the new school.
IMG_20220530_112355405.jpg

At this village, our route makes an almost backward left off the road, becoming a narrow, rocky track, like an alleyway between fields and houses. I failed to check if the others were behind me. They did not see the left turn and continued on the road to the next village, where the road ends. JT and I return to the school. I wait there while he goes after the other two. They return in no time.

We discuss and agree if one of us feels it is getting too rough, we will all turn around. As the weakest rider, I take lead. The track becomes progressively more challenging. We make it thru several sketchy stretches but I come to a stop when faced with a steep, loose downhill with a sharp right at the bottom. With luck, I could negotiate it, but coming back up? That would take more skill than I possess.
We turn around (no easy feat by itself).

John and I took a break here. There is a donkey in this pic, can you find him?
IMG_20220530_120110162.jpg

We made friends with him. Eventually he lightened our load by 2 granola bars.
IMG_20220530_121033119.jpg

IMG_20220602_064358.jpg

Last edited:
PS, I'm going back and forth between ipad and android, might be confusing as I edit my post several times to add images...

Looks to me like it's not that donkey's first rodeo with granola bars... she's lovely and its fortunate she likes Americans.

Random scenes from Mexico

Zaragoza city run park. No admission fee.
IMG_20220530_135922319.jpg

IMG_20220530_141239387.jpg

IMG_20220530_141003287.jpg

The sign was translated to me, if my memory is accurate, as "I see nature so I can save nature."

Is this Joan of Ark? She is popular, I see versions of this image frequently. Sometimes she is standing on the head of the vanquished.
IMG_20220531_103713225.jpg

The town of Galeana has a nascent art community apparently.
IMG_20220601_183234749.jpg

IMG_20220601_183254754.jpg

IMG_20220601_182959695.jpg

IMG_20220601_183112484.jpg

The shop had closed down long ago but this couple pass the days on the stoop.
IMG_20220601_102627794.jpg

"Is this Joan of Ark? She is popular, I see versions of this image frequently. Sometimes she is standing on the head of the vanquished."

I'm guessing since wings are attached it's Michael the Archangel.

"Is this Joan of Ark? She is popular, I see versions of this image frequently. Sometimes she is standing on the head of the vanquished."

I'm guessing since wings are attached it's Michael the Archangel.
Good point about the wings, but I think it's a woman?

We saw these fabulous, larger than life carvings made from massive solid wood.

Could this be a woman? Some of the others (same pose) were definitely masculine, more muscular, with 6 pack abs.

Definitely will do some research. Interesting.

IMG_20220603_114911940~2.jpg

Last edited:
Back