• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas CanyonRun I

Reaction score
Landing in Wonderland

Riding over the crest of the hill I gasped inside my helmet. I felt like an astronaut about to land on a newly discovered planet. The vistas splashed with colors – beige, rose, burnt yellow, mossy green, brick brown, dotted with green pom-poms all against a blue sky- caught my breath and held it. While my gut clenched at the sight of a 10 percent descent on a tarmac snake coiled around mounds of earth and edged with a sheer drop-off into a void.

My brain battled with the earthen rainbows around me and a faded yellow double line on the back of the serpent underneath my two wheels.

“Coming in for a landing fast! Don’t crash!!”

The hairpins and corkscrews demanded all my attention. I haven’t ridden a road like this since the Moab journey months ago. Since then the roads have been tame and almost auto-pilot riding. Now I was back on a roller coaster and I wasn’t strapped in yet.

By the time my brain wrestled my attention to the road and away from the vistas, the landing gear shifted down, navigated the corkscrew descent and we made a smooth landing on the canyon floor.

Suddenly I was on a magical planet in a different universe; I was Alice in Wonderland, fallen into a giant hole called Palo Duro Canyon.

PDCroad1.jpg

PDCroad2.jpg

PDC1.jpg

To be continued......

Tabletops and Panhandles

Loading the bike is an exercise in precision. It requires no less attention to detail, forethought and preparation than amplifying a specific DNA sequence.

One misplaced or forgotten component and it can go all wrong.

And it takes forever.

The two dry bags with tent and sleep items are easy and routine. Each item fits just so, another Just So story. It’s the other ‘stuff’: cooking gear, food, clothes, shoes, camera, equipment, hygiene, emergency bike needs, on and on. And it varies each trip.

Since I planned to hike the canyons this trip, I needed sturdy supportive boots. Their place in this entire scheme of packing eluded me until the night I packed the side bags: one boot in each side case with loose food items in plastic bags crammed inside the feet and tops of the boots. It worked!! Even had room for my comfy sandals.

I left the house an hour late. As usual. Waiting for sunrise to top off the gas tank with gas kept at home for emergencies. Well, this wasn’t really an emergency, but I couldn’t justify riding 24 miles out of my way to top it off in town when I am so close to the highway.

Hefting each full side bag liner with opposing hands, I estimated the balance of weight in each and inserted them, more aptly, stuffed them into the side cases. Those too were topped off with loose items such as two books and my new journal.

The two dry bags are mounted quickly and lashed on with notorious overkill, so I was chided for in Moab. In addition to the webbing straps, a cargo net and long bungie cord strap everything in place on top of the bike. If it doesn’t move when I try to wiggle it, it passes the test. A story from a fellow rider about losing his underwear and clothing in the middle of a highway made me cautious about loose bags on bikes. The last thing I need is to lose bits and pieces as I fly down the road.

Bernard was strapped to the bags under the cargo net again like Moby Whee and Captain Ahab. He’s been complaining lately about this method of travel but now that he has a new buddy, I don’t think he’ll mind.

After checking turn signals and brake lights, I bent down to check the oil filter and found I needed to top off the oil with another ½ cup. One more trip to the toilet, although I knew I would need to go again in a few hours. I drank a pot of coffee while waiting for the lazy sun to rise and checking email.

Muttering to myself about having to wear all these layers, stuffing them into my riding pants and working up a sweat just getting the rest of the gear on, the helmet covered my head and gloves my hands: time to go. The bike’s engine was warm now and I eased my layered self onto the saddle. I like to sit for a moment and look at the stars or check my zen status to be sure I’m focused.

Clutch in, toe down, clunk and roll forward. And we’re off on to gallivant around the house in the grass and then onto the gravel driveway. I’m making my own cul de sac.

Traffic is light all the way west on Hwy 20, which is a relief and a pleasure. Making time at a comfortable cruising speed, I headed north on Hwy 84 just west of Sweetwater. This is my second ride on that highway and I’ve grown to like it. It’s like putting on a comfy pair of slippers; not perfect, but it grows on you and fits fine.

Not far, I glimpse the mesas on the east and west of the highway and my favorite man-made flowers: ‘wind sunflowers’. Tall white majestic wind turbines on top of the mesas bordering the west side of 84. They evoke images of stately tall flowers with their giant slender petals rolling slowly in the wind. And they make me smile. I also applaud their use as alternative energy production. An almost perfect use of an abundant resource: wind.

Hwy84nwindturbines.jpg

I rode the edges of and onto the panhandle with a new perspective and appreciation. After riding along the western escarpment of El Llano Estacado in New Mexico last September, I read about the geography and history, natural and man-related, of this southern tip of the Great Plains. This tabletop, which is a more appropriate name than ‘panhandle’, is the bottom tip of the High Plains, an area of the Great Plains that covers an enormous portion of this country. The western escarpment is in New Mexico, the eastern in Texas: the Caprock escarpment. And that was my destination.

hwy84mesa.jpg

But the journey revealed the land and history in between. There is more to that region than meets the eye.

To be continued…….

WHERE’S A GAS STATION??

Once in the little town of Post on Hwy 84, I veered north on Hwy 207. Several hours on the road found me hungry, especially after no substantial breakfast other than a yogurt drink. I don’t like riding with food in my stomach, but I knew I needed something now.

At my second gas stop, somewhere on 207 that sports a sign “Town Name. Population: 800 ½” , I stood by the bike eating an ice cream and drinking a coffee (my special Food Pyramid). An older gentleman in a white pickup truck on his way out stopped next to the bike and asked,
“Where ya heading to?”

“Palo Duro”

“Ya don’t say. Well, wave to my grandkids while you’re there,” he smiled.

I laughed, “I will wave to all the grandkids I see because I won’t know which ones are yours!”.

“That’ll work! They live there, ya know.
Well, you have a nice trip and be safe.”

“I certainly will, sir, and you have a nice holiday!”

With smiles and waves, he drove off and I finished my ice cream, a smile still on my face.

Eight hours later, two gas and pit stops, and I’m near Palo Duro. And nearly out of gas. With the wind, the bike’s gas mileage has been less than normal. And gas stations are far between each other up this way. Passing the turn for the park on Hwy 27, I’m frantically searching for a gas station with the little gas pump on my dash blinking at me unrelentingly.

Twenty-two miles up the highway I see a sign for a Love’s Travel Center and a feeling of relief finally relaxes my clenched muscles. After filling the tank I head for the rest room about to do the pee-pee dance.

‘OUT OF ORDER”

Argh! I look for the men’s room; I’m not particular at this point. Another sign, a clone of the first adorns the door. Then I hear over the store’s speaker system:
“Ma’am, the restrooms are out of order. The pumps ain’t workin’. “

Oh bother. Get back on the bike and head for the park, retracing my ride to the exit. Checking in, my reservations for a campsite are in their computer system. Yipeee!! That certainly facilitates the process.

I’m tired, beat, hungry, thirsty and I’m in desperate need of a bathroom.

“There’s one right out the door to your left.”

Thank God. But now…….all these layers………

After I caught my breath from the views and riding down a tarmac coiled snake to the canyon floor, I rode several miles to find the group of primitive campsites and claimed mine. I have to credit the rangers at all the Texas parks thus far; they always give me fantastic camp spots. This one was in the corner and relatively secluded.

I pulled the bike in close enough to the grill and picnic table, avoiding the deadly prickly pear on the edges of the site, disembarked, stretched my tight hamstrings and gawked at the views. The light was fading quickly and I needed to pay attention to setting up camp. But first I had to snap some photos of the sun setting on the canyon cliff in front of my tent.

PDCFortressCliffsunset1.jpg

Unload and set up the tent and sleep items first, then worry about the rest. I found a perfectly flat spot on reddish beige sandy clay and slid the tent stakes in like a hot knife through butter. With everything up and after inflating the Agnes pad, I turned my attention to food.

PDCcampsite1.jpg

Unloading the stove components and choosing food for the evening, the candle lantern, headlamp and a few other items, I had my Thanksgiving meal in the canyon floor: spaghetti with beef jerky, a yogurt and a mini-pumpkin pie. A hot cocoa topped off the evening while writing in my journal by the light of the headlamp on my forehead.

Packs of coyotes and resident owls made me welcomed here my first night and I was fast approaching sleep as I wandered off to crawl into the two sleeping bags. A nearby duet of coyotes lulled me to sleep with a lullaby and I felt like I was home.

To be continued.....

So now the coyotes are following you around the state? :lol2:

Candle lantern - how well has that worked out for you? I'm curious if it adds any (even negligible) heat to the tent.

Squeaky said:
So now the coyotes are following you around the state? :lol2:

Candle lantern - how well has that worked out for you? I'm curious if it adds any (even negligible) heat to the tent.
I really like the candle lanterns and plan to pick up two more: another smaller one (I want a red one :) and the big chandelier. The latter might add some (although negligible) heat to your tent. But what I like the most is I hang the small one inside from a loop on the 'ceiling' and it lights the tent nicely. It's also nice for the picnic table.

I have a few more stories re: coyotes. ;-) Yes, apparently they do, or at least one, likes me.

Can't wait for the next chapter! I was born in Amarillo and you've revived the memories of camping in Palo Duro Canyon when I was just a tyke. Indian Guides, digging a firepit with my Dad's old army knife, climbing up the canyon walls, horned toads, powder sugar donuts for breakfast and hunting for feathers.

Brilliant writing - thank you!

Dave.

mlinkibikr said:
Can't wait for the next chapter! I was born in Amarillo and you've revived the memories of camping in Palo Duro Canyon when I was just a tyke. Indian Guides, digging a firepit with my Dad's old army knife, climbing up the canyon walls, horned toads, powder sugar donuts for breakfast and hunting for feathers.
I love those toads :) I wanted to take one home with me :-P

Lastest part is on my blogsite; the pics are too big to upload here. Need to fix the size, I guess.

I'm a big fan of ride reports and this is another great example. Nice pictures. Thanks for posting. FYI "panhandle" refers to the area of Texas ( ie Oklahoma panhandle etc.) that is shaped like a handle on a pan, it has nothing to do with geography. Did I miss a joke or something?

Re: Texas CanyonRun I: A Day in Wonderland

From the journal…

It’s chilly. But as I sit at the table sipping my coffee I can feel the morning sun compete with the chill of the wind.

It reminds me of Maine when I would lie in the snow face up to the bright winter sun and absorb its warmth while the cold snow under me fought to cancel the sun’s heat. A balance allowed me to lay for awhile in the pristine white and silent snow and still be warm, until the dampness crept through the many layers and to my skin. Wet cold is numbing.

I’m on the canyon floor amongst the mesquite shrubs and prickly pear carpeting the ground, the cactus like hundreds of giant furry mouse ears sticking up in every direction. Regardless, those ‘hairs’ are giant spears, certain to stab through a sandal sole or a tire. And excellent evolutionary adaptation in self-preservation. Now if only I could grow thorns.

Leaves on the mesquites are golden brown lit by the morning sun against the red-beige of the ground and black of the branches and bark. The canyon walls to the west, north and south are aglow with color: horizontal stripes of red, brown, rust, beiges, mossy green, all layers differing in thickness and betraying their geological history. A map of time, a time before we were a twinkle in a cell’s molecules, is revealed here. Naked, for anyone to see and read, it is a journal of millions of years on which nature reveals herself:

“I was here, all of my children: the wind, rain, forests, fires, seas, blistering sun and cold, and creatures you can only imagine.”

Read her story and listen to her speak a language only few truly understand but none of us can experience.
PDCfloortrail4.jpg

Unlike the canyons in Utah, the vertical sweeps here are dotted with green low-growing and scraggly brush: junipers and mesquites. The floor is another world of flowing grasses, tall cottonwoods with their bright yellow twirling leaves, streams creeping along washes, dry riverbeds suggesting violent rushes of seasonal water, a myriad of mineral deposits and even some gems (opals and geodes), small caves and animal dens dug into cliff sides, gnarly twisting mesquite bushes and thorny cactus. It’s like one world juxtaposed inside another; the colors, heights and distances contrasting each other.

PDCfloortrail3.jpg

PDCcanyonfloortrail1.jpg

And I wonder what it would be like, what is was like, to live down on the canyon floor, to watch the canyons and life progress through their annual cycles as they have for thousands and thousands of years; to meet all the inhabitants of the floor and the rim, they whom live a cycle of birth and death with no pretense. All these cycles and changes overlapping each other. Infinitely.

I wonder, and contemplate, but I may never know.

Continued......

Re: Texas CanyonRun I: At Home on the Road

I laughed at myself when I hung my wet washcloth on the back of the bike, noticing my long-sleeved shirt hanging from my mirror, riding pants draped over the windshield, jacket folded across the seat, side bags open with items sorted like drawers, even boots and socks on the ground close to the bike.

Whee is more than just my bike; it's my traveling companion and in some ways part of my 'home'.

Travels With Whee.

Now if it only had reverse.........

PDCcampsite2.jpg

Continued…..

I hiked 12 miles today on the canyon floor and up to the rock formation that is the landmark of Palo Duro Canyon and Park: the Lighthouse. Although to me it resembles a needle with a blunt end. Or a leg with a tumor. I’m really tired and need a shower which will have to wait until tomorrow.

I decided to stay in the park here another day. I haven’t even made it up to the rim yet; Caprock will have to wait for another adventure journey.

I ate sweet and sour chicken with beef jerky for dinner. Jerky is my favorite camp and trip food. Not too bad with ice cream, either, when it served as a substitute spoon. I had instant oatmeal for desert and I’m gnawing on freeze-dried ice cream. Which seems totally wrong. And it is.

My favorite travel coffee mug, disguised as a French press, is full of hot cocoa and I’m writing by light from the candle lantern and the headlight on my forehead. A moth sits in my lap as if he’s found a warm comfy friend. The darkness imparts a feeling of late night, but is only early evening. I want my sun back.

After breakfast and coffee this morning, donning all layers, I picked up a trail behind my camp site. The cold prompted me to wear my glove liners and fleece neck warmer; the sun had barely crested the ridge to the east and would not warm the canyon floor for several hours. Fortress Cliff, which towered over the campground, was bathed in sunlight and its colored stripes in all their glory.

FortressCliff1.jpg

I soon discovered the canyon floor is a feast of colors, textures, shadows and shapes. Nearly every few foot-falls revealed something new and fantastic. Exclamations of “Awesome!” and “Wow!” escaped me many times. The 1GB memory card in my Canon was filling fast; there were too many images I wanted to capture. I added another and larger memory card to my Wish List, and to my In My Dreams List, a portable media storage device with a LCD viewer to download images while on the road.

I explored washes, dry stream beds, caves, gullies, peaks, everywhere I could fit my feet. I followed my eyes; they were the leaders and my feet were helpless slaves to them. The rising sun lit the yellow and twirling cottonwood leaves which almost glittered against the stark blue cloudless sky. Shadows from trees and cliffs sharply contrasted with the sunlit ground and vegetation. I constantly moved between brick-red cliff shadows to sunlit red clay pathways.

morning1.jpg

PDCfloortrail2.jpg

trailstream1.jpg

trailcliffs1.jpg

I found a hole in the side of a cliff that I’m sure served as an animal den, probably coyotes. There was coyote scat everywhere, covered with fuzzy grey fur and most common in the pathways. I wondered if the coyotes deposited it in the middle of the paths on purpose as if it were some devious prank for us humans that walked the paths. The wiley canines probably used the paths as well to avoid the carpet of prickly pear that covered much of the canyon floor, especially in the drier and higher elevations.

animalden.jpg

As the sun rose and air warmed, I shed pieces of layers one at a time. The camera bag on my belt was stuffed with gloves, neck warmer and ultimately long-sleeved T-shirt, while I retained wearing a red sweatshirt. Ultimately, the most useful layer was the full Camelbac. But it would empty sooner than I predicted.

I hiked narrow paths meandering a forested area of the canyon floor fed by running streams and later encountered another trail, this one climbing elevation and meandering around the bottom of the tall cliffs and peaks. The trail led to the infamous ‘Lighthouse’ and a small area referred to as “Little Moab”.

PDClighthouse1.jpg

"Lighthouse and Little Moab" continued......

Good stuff, enjoying the riding and hiking. keep on rolling and telling your story. Thanks, Neal

Re: Texas CanyonRun I: Heaven

lighthousecliffssun.jpg

When I try to describe or explain some of the places I've visited, ridden and hiked, words are inadequate; some places are just inexplicable.

I've been to Europe, around the US and Canada mutliple times. But nothing captivates as much as the canyons on this continent. If finances were not an issue, I think I could dedicate the rest of my life riding to the canyonlands all over North America attempting to capture the flavors, mystery, intrigue, wonder, and realities that exist in and around them. Both in words and in photograhic images. Both might express what I see and feel, and share it.

Although sometimes I'm just speechless; I can only stand and stare, absorb it and feel it. It's the same as riding the bike. I can't explain that, either. I open my mouth and nothing comes out. There are no adequate words to express either. Other times it pours out from my fingers during a moment of inspiration, or I relive it through photographs.

Some people have their churches, holy structures, places of sanctuary and solace. Mine are on the bike and in the canyons.

So I'm going to let a few of the photographs I took share what I saw.
Maybe you can feel the same thing, too.

cactusfloor.jpg

cliffstrata1.jpg

canyonmidhike.jpg

canyonmidhike2.jpg

capitalpeakbase1.jpg

CapitolPeak1.jpg

lighthouse3.jpg

pathfork.jpg

trailcliffs1-1.jpg

Okay. I don't want to overwhelm anyone :)
Tomorrow: The big hoodoo known as Lighthouse, Capitol Peak and Little Moab.

Having been lucky enough to visit Zion and Bryce in Utah, I know what you mean about just sitting there and taking it all in. Cameras are woefully inadequate to the task of capturing the experience. Then there is the Grand Canyon... :brainsnap

Tourmeister said:
Cameras are woefully inadequate to the task of capturing the experience. Then there is the Grand Canyon... :brainsnap
:) Yes, I remember my first time there. I had the same reaction.

You're right about the capturing images. The expanse and depth, size and scale can't quite be adequately captured.

Ok, so what y'all are saying is that if I've never been to the Grand Canyon, want to do a long ride next year, and have an all-purpose bike I need to start planning a trip there...

I keep wondering if I should click into this thread when I'm at work with very little time to peek through a few posts. I don't want to click in and have it come off the "New Posts" list before I can adequately read through it!!!

So yeah, long story short - keep posting. I thoroughly enjoy your writing style and can only hope to go with you on one of your adventures.

The best part of Mother Earth is the variety she offers us. She will lift you on her hands, high on mountaintops to take in the clear cold view, or hold you close to her, protected, in her canyons. Her temper runs the gamut of fiery hot, to bone snapping cold, but mostly gentle and nurturing.

It's easy to understand how the Native Americans saw her as a Deity,and why they hold some places in particular reverance. As motorcyclists we see great parts of this, but I envy your ability to stay awhile in camp and absorb it - then describe what you see and feel to those of us who can't seem to slow down long enough to experience for ourselves the depth of her multifaceted personality.

Dave.

Squeaky said:
Ok, so what y'all are saying is that if I've never been to the Grand Canyon, want to do a long ride next year, and have an all-purpose bike I need to start planning a trip there...
I am considering including the GC in my return trip next Sept: through SW Utah, down to AZ and the GC, then east to TX.

Palo Duro strongly reminded me of the GC and I instantly understood why it is referred to as the "Little Grand Canyon". In many ways PD is it's little brother. Having been to the canyons in Utah and Nevada, the differences between the GC and PD are stark but the similarities remind one of the origins of all canyons.

What I enjoyed most about PD is the scale is such that it is more accessible than the GC. Hiking down into the GC is daunting and demanding; few people do it. Mules make the task easier, but it's not the same. Proper conditioning and preparation can mean life or death. I sprained an ankle on the way up and had to hitch a ride on a mule the rest of the way.

So yeah, long story short - keep posting. I thoroughly enjoy your writing style and can only hope to go with you on one of your adventures.
I'm iced in today. I can sit on the comfy couch with a blanket and pot of coffee and catch up on installments :)

I'm planning a trip to Caprock sometime between now and Big Bend in the spring. Want to join me on either of those?

mlinkibikr said:
It's easy to understand how the Native Americans saw her as a Deity,and why they hold some places in particular reverance. As motorcyclists we see great parts of this, but I envy your ability to stay awhile in camp and absorb it - then describe what you see and feel to those of us who can't seem to slow down long enough to experience for ourselves the depth of her multifaceted personality.
My life-long dream has been to throw saddlebags and bedroll over my horse and ride around the country (or world, if I could). I have the horse, but we're generations too late to fulfill that dream together. So my bike is also my horse. In the words of Steinbeck, I'm a "bum", but a bum on two wheels. And one who writes, too.

Glad you enjoy reading it.

TexasShadow said:
I'm planning a trip to Caprock sometime between now and Big Bend in the spring. Want to join me on either of those?

Want? Yes. Will I be able to swing it? Dunno. :giveup:

Re: Texas CanyonRun I: Traveling Companions

Traveling Companions

I usually take a traveling companion or two with me. Sometimes a mascot or two, sometimes the spirit of a friend, other times just the thoughts inside my head. In all journeys, Whee is my traveling buddy. Not only is he my transportation, but my food cabinet, dresser drawers, clothes rack, and filing cabinet. He's my home away from home; or maybe his is my only real home.
Whee2.jpg

Bernard has enjoyed many of the most recent trips, despite his adversity to his position on the bike: lashed to the luggage by cargo net and bungee cord. And he can be a little monster at times; for example, he went gallivanting the first day and I couldn’t find him until nearly sunset.
Bernardhiding.jpg

In the morning, he guards my coffee like a good little monster.
Bernard_breakfast1.jpg

On this trip, as well as the one in September, I brought along the ‘spirit’ of a good friend who is more than a thousand miles away and has never been to this region of the country. He and I are ‘cut from the same cloth’, so to speak, and I knew beyond a doubt that he would enjoy all the wonder I visited as much as I did.

He is like “Harvey”, Jimmy Stewart’s invisible rabbit, and I sometimes find myself chatting with him inside my head with exclamations and ramblings throughout the trip. I share my observations, writing and photos with him so that he can experience what I do through my eyes and perspective. Because I want him to have the opportunity to see all of these places and live them through me. Yet hoping that some day he will be able to see and live them himself. Because nothing can substitute for personal experience which is filtered by individual perspective, prior experiences and interpretation. We don’t all share the exact same internal reality. Regardless, this is my gift to him and I hope he enjoys it as much as I do.

A new mascot adopted Whee and I on this journey and his circumstances and story will be told later. His name is ‘Wiley’ and as you can see is a coyote. It was very appropriate as you will read later.
Wiley.jpg

Canyon fans

If you havent checked out Black Canyon of the Gunnison (Colorado), you need to. Ive seen GC, PD, Zion, Bryce, Moab, ect and for visual effect, the Black is pretty neat. Although, getting to the bottom is pretty adventurous.

Re: Texas CanyonRun I: Hoodoos and Little Moab

Hoodoos and Little Moab

The trail to the hoodoo known as the 'Lighthouse' meandered around the base of Capital Peak. The hiker in the photo below may offer a prespective of the scale of these cliffs:
canyonscale.jpg

The hoodoo is to the left of the peak.
CapPeak_Litehouse1.jpg

What is a 'hoodoo'? It is a geological column of rock formed by weathering and erosion. First, a brief introduction to the geology of the canyon.

The Palo Duro Canyon, the second largest in the US, is roughly 800 feet deep. Although the canyon was formed less than a million years ago, its geological history spans 250 million years.

The mural inside the visitor’s center aptly depicts this:
Geolohistorymural.jpg

Four formations are prominent throughout the canyon. Fortress Cliff exemplifies them well.
FortressCliffcloseup2.jpg

Quartermaster Formation: This is the oldest layer and located at the bottom of the canyon. It is bright red shale and sandstone with layers and veins of white gypsum.
A close-up of this:
cliffstrata1.jpg

Tecovas Formation: The next layer from the bottom; yellow, gray and lavendar shale, which is compacted clay.

Trujillo Formation:
Above the Tecovas is red hard sandstone separated by red clay and course gray gravel.

Ogallala Formation:
The top layer is comprised of sand, silt, clay and limestone. This is the caprock of the High Plains.

The Quartermaster and Tecovas layers are well exposed on Captital Peak but the overlying Trujillo and Ogallala layers have been eroded away. The sandstone beds of the Quartermaster layer are more resistant to erosion and protect the shale layers below.
An example of these two layers near Capital Peak:
Quart_Tecovasforms.jpg

Erosion of shale below the sandstone results in steep slopes, stacks and pedestals called hoodoos. The Lighthouse, a 310-ft hoodoo, is designated a National Natural Landmark.
lithsecloseup.jpg

But there were many other examples of hoodoos in all sizes and shapes nearby. In this respect, they reminded one of the geological features seen in Arches and Canyonlands Parks around Moab, Utah.

I hiked over to this area where hoodoo ‘babies’ were aplenty and dwarfed by the nearby Lighthouse which towered over them.
hoodoobabies.jpg

A grouping of them reminded me of a Druid Circle with their canted tabletops.
hoodoocircle.jpg

I met a few people on the trail:

A couple requested I take their picture, which I happily obliged. When I mentioned the Lighthouse resembles the Needles in Moab, the woman instantly exclaimed with exuberance that she had lived there for many years. In fact, she has written a few mystery novels that take place in the Moab and canyon area. We chatted excitedly about Moab and the canyons during which Anita commented that the area at the base of the Lighthouse is like a “Little Moab”. I laughed and liked that image, so more than one person thus names it so.

I also met a painter who sat most of the day on the edge of a cliff painting. She was dwarfed and almost camouflaged against the backdrop of the canyons.
Painter.jpg

The end of the Lighthouse trail was very steep with some erosion evident that made footing sometimes treacherous.
traildownlitehse.jpg

The vistas on the descent were breathtaking.
Canyonvalley.jpg

And the views on the hike back were captivating:
cloudsmoke.jpg

traildescent.jpg

By the time I reached the lower elevations, the sun was in the opposite direction of the sky and the shadows played with everything around me.

No matter where I go, I always have my eternal companion: my Shadow.
selfportrait.jpg

tx246 said:
If you havent checked out Black Canyon of the Gunnison (Colorado), you need to. Ive seen GC, PD, Zion, Bryce, Moab, ect and for visual effect, the Black is pretty neat.
I'll be riding up that way on my way to Moab next September. I've heard similarly; Black Canyon and Gunnison are not to be missed. So I don't intend to miss them :)

Back