• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beware: Lowes Customer Service and Delivery

Lawnmowers, huh? Just tore apart my Gravely ProWalk, after hearing a pretty loud shrieking noise a couple of weeks ago. I went on a motorcycle trip, then started a new job, but when the local Gravely dealer wouldn’t reply to a request for quote, or pick up their phone this week, it was time to fix it myself.

The problem? A ring clip, designed to hold the driveshaft in place, had gone bye-bye, allowing the shaft and pulley to drift outward, and grind a bolt that is used as a spring anchor. $0.75 part, caused a fair amount of cost and hassle, and it would have been worse if the local Gravely dealer gave a 💩 about their customers.

F578ED18-2E84-4CE6-87CA-522432E93FDF.jpeg
CF8E573E-C83F-4A27-86E9-D7CAF8CA3C5D.jpeg
10186DB8-5EC0-46D2-9A02-F791635735C0.jpeg

Well ride now austin hires only people who wong return a call too. Must be a thing these days.
Slightly before Steve sold CenTex Powersports to RideNow, I bought a table lift. Their service department had been trending downward for awhile at that point, no telling what it’s like now.

I think they have some great mechanic for bmws in mike goff. Ill say no more...

I've had friends complain about appliance purchasing but the sales and service models have changed and we like the older and more expensive ways.

Back in the day you went to Sears and bought a refrigerator. Sears delivered, they installed and a year later when the light bulb went out in the Kenmore, they sent a guy out the next day to put in a new bulb for free. Lowes (HD, Best Buy...) sells it to you if you can find someone on the floor. Then they may install or contract ir out for delivery. When it fails completely in 6 months w a bad compressor, they tell you to call the manufacturer in the book they gave you. If you are lucky they have a local maintenance shop but if not, you have to take it to some other town a couple hundred miles away. After they mention it's a known defect and you install it, it breaks again in 6 months and... it's out of warranty.

Sears is out of business, Lowes is doing OK but the recession is starting to kill them. I wish the business model was different but consumers chose it.
Plus things were made better back in those days. Our top of the line fridge from Lowes is a total piece of junk. But it is stainless.:headbang:

IMHO Sears killed Sears.
Eddie Lampert killed Sears. My wife was a 25 year employee and the company was doing fine until Eddie got in the way. Just because you're a good hedge fund manager does not mean that you are a good retail CEO, and he really sucked at it.

Eddie Lampert killed Sears. My wife was a 25 year employee and the company was doing fine until Eddie got in the way. Just because you're a good hedge fund manager does not mean that you are a good retail CEO, and he really sucked at it.

We killed Sears. And by “we”, I mean all of us that have commoditized the sales and delivery of products and services. When “we” shop by price alone, everything is a commodity. And commodities trade on price.

I’m not complaining; with the dumbed down and apathetic workforce we have today, I’d rather not overpay for it.

Water heater delivered by Lowes had a forklift fork through the entire thing, box, tank and all. They couldn't understand why I wouldn't accept delivery.

🤡🌏

We killed Sears. And by “we”, I mean all of us that have commoditized the sales and delivery of products and services. When “we” shop by price alone, everything is a commodity. And commodities trade on price.

I’m not complaining; with the dumbed down and apathetic workforce we have today, I’d rather not overpay for it.
Edward Brennan killed Sears. It just took a while for them to die. His brother Bernard killed Montgomery Ward.

Water heater delivered by Lowes had a forklift fork through the entire thing, box, tank and all. They couldn't understand why I wouldn't accept delivery.

🤡🌏
Did it have water in it? I had a friend that changed his without draining first. He said putting in the new was was a lot easier than getting the old one out. :-)

Plus things were made better back in those days. Our top of the line fridge from Lowes is a total piece of junk. But it is stainless.:headbang:
Ya, I bought a Whirlpool deep freezer from Lowes about 6 years ago, and the control board went out. Cost for the part was half of the purchase price of the freezer, and it was back ordered on top of that. It would cool, but wouldn’t get to freezing levels. A lot of food was lost when the board went out. I didn’t trust it so only used it to chill sodas and water. Ended up giving it away a few months ago and buying a 20yo refrigerator at a garage sale for $50 for overflow duties.

Ya, I bought a Whirlpool deep freezer from Lowes about 6 years ago, and the control board went out. Cost for the part was half of the purchase price of the freezer, and it was back ordered on top of that. It would cool, but wouldn’t get to freezing levels. A lot of food was lost when the board went out. I didn’t trust it so only used it to chill sodas and water. Ended up giving it away a few months ago and buying a 20yo refrigerator at a garage sale for $50 for overflow duties.
I bet that old one will serve you better.

Sears was very top heavy, too many chiefs and not enough Indians. That killed 'em.

I was at Lowe's this past weekend. Need a temp building to cover my water well and decided on the Craftsman (speaking of Sears). I sign up for the card and they gave me $100 off plus a manager walks up and told the cashier to knock off another $200!! Really? The wife and I were making fun small talk with him a few minutes before never knowing he was a manager. That will keep me visiting Lowe's for my supplies.

Sears killed Sears, my sister worked there in local mgt. They would give credit to whoever wanted it, regardless if they had the means to pay it back or not. They passed out Discover cards like halloween candy. And they resisted all the new online way of doing things, although they were setup with their catalog and shipping to do this better than anyone. Corporate was also buying and selling other small companies constantly, and making a lot of bad decisions with that.

We have two local Lowes and a HD. To me HD os for the ladies home improvement projects, one Lowes is for the high rent home owners that get thiewr wood all pre cut. The older Lowes is more for contractors. None of them seems to be capable of delivering an appliance that has been ordered without a complete fiasco.

17 months after purchasing a houseful of Pella windows fro Lowes, just spent another 2 hours on the phone trying to get the install completed. One window is still held shut with duct tape and two others are damaged or missing parts. I keep looking for the hidden camera and the laughter.

Corporate was also buying and selling other small companies constantly, and making a lot of bad decisions with that.
When Lambert took over he had each of the divisions competing for marketing dollars and what-not. Instead of looking for ways for the divisions to complement each other he had the chiefs knifing each other in the back. Totally contrary to good retail management.

I was at Lowe's this past weekend. Need a temp building to cover my water well and decided on the Craftsman (speaking of Sears). I sign up for the card and they gave me $100 off plus a manager walks up and told the cashier to knock off another $200!! Really? The wife and I were making fun small talk with him a few minutes before never knowing he was a manager. That will keep me visiting Lowe's for my supplies.
:thumb: I see that as how positive interactions with others pays benefits in life. Excellent reminder!

I hate shopping at the Lowes near me. I can never find an associate and when I do they are not an expert in their field.I only go to Lowes to use the computer automated key cutting machine as it is the best I have found.
The HD near me has lots of associates and if I need help they will use the pager to get the guy over to the aisle I am in and they seem to
hire plumbers to man the plumbing aisles and electricians to man the electrical aisles, etc. which is a real big help.

B/CS lowes are kinda the Walmart of hardware...best know what you need and where it is before going in. Getting reasonable help is unlikely.

Miracles happen still.

Well, I'm on my 4th mower coming Tuesday. The first was the wrong brand even, second unassembled and missing parts, third unassembled even worse, in fact wrongly assembled, still missing the same parts. I spent 4 hours setting it up and called them saying I still need to take it to a shop and have it really set up as I got it most of the way there but not perfect for a $4600 mower, about to fine tune two acres of green weeds and grassburrs surrounding my house. So Lowes says "go ahead and cut the grass with the mower you have" so I did. Then I cleaned it up and it now has 2.1 hours on it. So now they are sending another on Tuesday and I'd bet money it won't be any further set up than the other two. They don't listen, just want you to move on, "satisfied". They are crediting me $500 for my trouble but I'll be giving some of it to a shop to professionally set up this next one. Of course the manager did not call me back with the delivery date of the forthcoming mower or text me his contact info as promised, but they are seriously the worst I've ever seen with meeting commitments to call back. I'm not sure what the lesson is here but maybe next time I'll buy a pricey mower from a mower shop instead of a box store. Its a shame as I bought my last from them in 2013 and it came nicely set up from Lowes in Hutto, for $1700. Outsourced Houston delivery center set up= totally unacceptable result. If anyone needs help on theirs though, I'm really getting good at battery and seat installation, transmission purging, and proper deck set up now. That 24 hp Kawasaki engine sure is nice though :-) Kind of reminds me of a 650 Versys the way it fires up.

Back