• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

Im not a gambling guy, but ive owned 3 st 1100s, 3 cb 750's, 4 750 magnas, 3 750vfrs, 8 xl's, 3 xr's, 4 little 50's, probably a dozen more hondas like the cbr 929 and 1100 blackbird and and 87 1000 hurricane and 15 bmws. I loved em all. Except for the guzzi that spent equal time in the shop under warranty as in my garage :-).

Never clean unless I need to cross a river deep enough and lube with bar oil that cost 8 bucks a gallon or 5 bucks for 4ounces if you buy it from RK .

I’m still on my first gallon I bought 15 years ago and I use it for my chain saws too . And it’s not environmentally green stihl oil either . It’s the good stuff .

This was a couple of weeks ago. Changed clutch and primary chain on Harley. Much easier than final drive on Goldwing.

Attachments

• 20220908_134316.jpg
    20220908_134316.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 20220831_080808.jpg
    20220831_080808.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220831_080803.jpg
    20220831_080803.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 61
I've never worked on a chain like that - are there "master links" or rivets or something to 'open' the chain? Or does it come as a closed loop, so you gotta pull the sprockets off the splines to install / remove?

I've never worked on a chain like that - are there "master links" or rivets or something to 'open' the chain? Or does it come as a closed loop, so you gotta pull the sprockets off the splines to install / remove?
It's closed loop. You remove the engine and clutch sprockets and slip them on with the chain as a unit.

Here's a new one for me...
20220924_122530.jpg

So I'm at the top of mountain 71 and the 530 caughs, sputters and stops. Like it was out of gas. I've ridden quite a distance that morning but not far enough to run dry. Tank shows lots of fuel left. Plugged jet? It happens you know. But...not all three at once. I tried the usual tricks...drain the bowl etc. I could hold the choke and it'd run...sort of. Ever try to hold a choke and ride down a steep chunky mountain trail with one hand? Me neither but if it was that or spend the night at 11,000 feet...I'll try. It got me to within a couple hundred yards of the mountain apex and then just quit. No choice but to shuck the helmet and push. That was the hardest motorcycle pushing I've ever done. Push 20-30 yards, stop gasp for air, repeat. Made it to the downhill and started coasting. Nine miles. That may be some kind of record - although I watched Rydah coast down black bear into Telluride one time. That was impressive. A good man on a Husqvarna motorcycle came by just after my last bit of coasting. He bailed me out of a rough job. Next morning I start a new episode of RG's picknick table motorcycle repair shop and tear into la carb. Jets were clean as a hounds tooth. Doggone needle clip had come off. Old age and metal fatigue I guess. Somehow I can identify with that. :-(

Here's a new one for me...
View attachment 331163
So I'm at the top of mountain 71 and the 530 caughs, sputters and stops. Like it was out of gas. I've ridden quite a distance that morning but not far enough to run dry. Tank shows lots of fuel left. Plugged jet? It happens you know. But...not all three at once. I tried the usual tricks...drain the bowl etc. I could hold the choke and it'd run...sort of. Ever try to hold a choke and ride down a steep chunky mountain trail with one hand? Me neither but if it was that or spend the night at 11,000 feet...I'll try. It got me to within a couple hundred yards of the mountain apex and then just quit. No choice but to shuck the helmet and push. That was the hardest motorcycle pushing I've ever done. Push 20-30 yards, stop gasp for air, repeat. Made it to the downhill and started coasting. Nine miles. That may be some kind of record - although I watched Rydah coast down black bear into Telluride one time. That was impressive. A good man on a Husqvarna motorcycle came by just after my last bit of coasting. He bailed me out of a rough job. Next morning I start a new episode of RG's picknick table motorcycle repair shop and tear into la carb. Jets were clean as a hounds tooth. Doggone needle clip had come off. Old age and metal fatigue I guess. Somehow I can identify with that. :-(
Yeah, but what a beautiful 'garage' you have at the moment.... :-)

I bought a new 250 smoker KTM years ago . I wasn’t riding it but my daughter said it would choke down and almost die every time she crossed the rows of a corn field in a cross country race , never a performance issue before or after that race . A year latter I opened to carb for something and the needle clip was on top of the cable retainer plate that sets on top of the slide . On the corn field race the needle would bounce up in the slide and flood the motor she just kept it pinned and it would clear out as soon as the course smoothed out

ASU as in my neck of the woods? Would this be the technical center over by Mesa Gateway?
ASU, in this case, is Angelo State University in San Angelo!

Today, I got on the CNC lathe, only in manual mode, and started cutting the shaft for my tubing notcher. It's a Harbor Freight bench top model, and has an oddball arbor that fits only HF cutters. I have some very nice Milwaukee bits from my days as an electrician, and they won't work with the odd threads of the stock shaft.

Here's the beauty of having all this cool equipment..........chuck the shaft up in the lathe, cut off the oddball threads, and re-contour and re-thread the shaft to fit my tool bits!!

Now, all I have to do is learn GCODE, so I can run more complex parts! I ran out of time today, so I will finish it on Wednesday!

Attachments

• 20220926_143751.jpg
    20220926_143751.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220926_163923.jpg
    20220926_163923.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 44
You think I'd learn.... but no. Rear tire on riding mower went tits up. Found replacement set on fleabay with rims... they got here and shocker they won't bolt up. So ran to harbor frieght bought some tire irons and went home for two of the most fun hours of my life... LOL

Cut old tires off, dismounted new tires off new wheels and then re mounted new tires on old rims..... another hour and beads set and tires mounted... it was done. Think I'll buy a new mower before doing that again.

Attachments

• received_1065590820987821.jpeg
    received_1065590820987821.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 51
  • received_1511129022691688.jpeg
    received_1511129022691688.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 47
  • received_563964185482823.jpeg
    received_563964185482823.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220922_184705.jpg
    20220922_184705.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 48
I’ve done tractor tires, truck tires, car tires, motorcycle tires, atv tires, wheel barrow tires, zero-turn tires Tote Gote tires, tiller tires and walk-behind mower tires.

The smaller and fatter they are - the harder they are to do. Hope you put in a new valve stem.

The smaller and fatter they are - the harder they are to do. Hope you put in a new valve stem.

Yeah, at one point during this whole debacle I said self, you need to put new valve stems.... self did not put new valve stems in. If they crap out I'm thinking I need a new lawnmower at that point.... LMAO

You think I'd learn.... but no. Rear tire on riding mower went tits up. Found replacement set on fleabay with rims... they got here and shocker they won't bolt up. So ran to harbor frieght bought some tire irons and went home for two of the most fun hours of my life... LOL

Cut old tires off, dismounted new tires off new wheels and then re mounted new tires on old rims..... another hour and beads set and tires mounted... it was done. Think I'll buy a new mower before doing that again.

Moral of the story, over the years I've found out that discount auto parts online are a waist of time..... Figured I'd get lucky on some lawnmower tires.... but I knew better. Anyway, I got a good cardio workout. And one of my neighbors did walk over and check on me.... I probably looked like a monkey trying to fornicate a football on mounting the new tires LMAO.

Back to playing with the old ford today ,

5F1CA301-542F-4456-BEA4-3ECAA645265F.jpeg

put in the fresh charged battery and still couldn’t get good voltage readings where they should be . Pulled the generator off to see if it would motor , no go then noticed the wiring harness from the regulator to the generator had a bare spot wher all insulation had fallen off the wires for an inch or so . That’s not going to help anything so pulled off more sheet metal to see better , ended up opening the factory harness and replacing the wires from the generator and regulator then rewraping the harness . Also the main power wire that goes through the amp meter coil was bare so it got replaced too .still erratic voltage readings so new battery cables got built and installed . Hooked everything back up except the generator and it cranks and runs as it should , just wont gen .

DDF36A6E-5B85-4AD9-B167-B5712457749F.jpeg

call my rebuilder in Houston and see if he has a 6 volt generator with 3 inches of dust on it setting on a shelf tomorrow . I’ll buy one from him or see about one up here or ship this on to him to rebuild for me . It will be right from him if I do .

Back