• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: 2023 NMBDR - Small Bike Run

Really cool idea JSP. I'm very familiar with the Dell City area but have never heard of the Salt Flat camping spot- interesting. Will need to check that out. I might also suggest there are a few Airbnb spots in Dell City if you prefer to be in town. One is really cool- an old motor hotel called the "Z" Motel. Also, Two very good hole in the wall restaurants to eat a good breakfast- Rosita's and Spanish Angels. Spanish Angels has a BDR sign in book you should fill out. Fill up in Dell City because there is no fuel until Mayhill. You could divert to Pinon which I think has fuel, but check. I might join you if we are in a full economic recession.
Thank you for the info on Dell City I appreciate the info greatly. With regards to the camp spot in Salt Flat's it the pine Spring's campground in the Guadalupe Mountain national park. I will check out the adcoms you mentioned in Dell City as I like that idea better being closer to the start.

September 2023 is very doable for me. Will be on my F800GSA. If there are a lot bikes we split into big bikes and little bikes and meet at the campsites. I have done until Reserve and had to call it due to wheel broken. Cloudcroft area is great. Along with Chloride Canyon being amazing ride. That right turn at the end almost got me.
Good deal, hope you can make it.... I have no issue with splitting into a two groups if the size and/or style of the group warrants it.

Considering the OP specifications I would probably take the DRZ. BUT…. I really want to do this on the 790 as well now that it is kitted out for it.
Take whichever bike you want. The main reason I listed the ride as a small bike was because I wanted to set the expectations with regards to the expected pace and over all feel of the ride. This ride is a "tester" for me for the TAT I'm planing in 2025, while I've done long rides before they have been on R1200GSA a long ride on a "small" bike is going to be a new adventure for me but one I'm looking forward too.

Take whichever bike you want. The main reason I listed the ride as a small bike was because I wanted to set the expectations with regards to the expected pace and over all feel of the ride. This ride is a "tester" for me for the TAT I'm planing in 2025, while I've done long rides before they have been on R1200GSA a long ride on a "small" bike is going to be a new adventure for me but one I'm looking forward too.
If it is helpful. I my father is in Albuquerque where I could leave a trailer and truck just in case we need a recovery. He is retired and I am sure he wouldn’t mind picking someone up if they broke down or got injured.. Might be many hours for a pickup but it would still be better than figuring out how to get a bike back to Texas.

If it is helpful. I my father is in Albuquerque where I could leave a trailer and truck just in case we need a recovery. He is retired and I am sure he wouldn’t mind picking someone up if they broke down or got injured.. Might be many hours for a pickup but it would still be better than figuring out how to get a bike back to Texas.
Hi Brad, That sounds great and is very generous offer thank you.

-Jimmy

I am very interested in this. I rode parts of the NMBDR in 2018 on an AT. Sounds like a good excuse to buy a "smaller" bike, which I've been thinking about for a bit. I live in Godley, but could meet up with the group in Iraan. My dad lives there.
The planning and trip itinerary is awesome.
I'll keep an eye on this thread with interest.

About the ride
“The Ride Atmosphere" Easy going - Flowing with the land.. not dominate it.
Purpose of the Ride: Appreciate the beauty of nature, fun, new friends, adventure, & life decompression.
Who’s the Ride for? For those that prefer the journey traveled over the destination reached.
Small Bike Friendly: Travel to and from the BDR avoids Interstates.
Travel Time, Average Speeds, & Re-Fueling Stops to support a small displacement bike.

Travel Info
Departure: September 2023 (Actual date TBD 6-8 months prior to departure)
Starting Point Depart: Liberty Hill, TX
Finial Destination: Antonito, CO VIA NMBDR Route
Return From Antonito, CO: Through Taos, NM and back to LHTX 800 Miles
Estimated Total Miles: 2,400 (1,200 on BDR Route & 1,300 General Travel)
Estimated Duration: 14-16 Days
Accommodations: 80/20 Mix of “Hotel” and Dry Camping
Food: Other than the dry camp nights, food available near hotel stay nights and long the way.
Re-Fueling Stops: Average 150 miles with two 200 mile exceptions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@JSP Jimmy - Thanks for doing the work here and being willing to lead and plan out this trip!
"Easy Going, Small Bikes, Smelling the Roses, etc...." First of its kind I have seen on this forum and very much appreciated!!
I am very interested but I have never done a trip this far / this long. I would need to do some serious saddle conditioning! The other big challenge for me would be getting off from work that long and getting permission from my wife to burn up so many PTO days on a trip without her! 🙏
Thanks to your early planning, I have time to work on all of these issues!

I would be riding a 2022 KLX300 that I am just now breaking in. A good fit for the backroads and pace you have mentioned.
Plenty of time to set it up for ADV riding but the biggest challenge would be paring down my equipment for that bike as most of my ADV Camping kit is more for a 1200GS to carry! Compromises will need to made with ultralight being the theme!

@TheD-Man a set of quality luggage will solve a lot. Rockymountainatvmc Tusk luggage line is a good place to start.
Agree! It's a small bike so I cannot have big bags and don't want racks due to weight. Just cannot imagine how I can pack what I need to be comfy for that many days on the road on that bike and not overwhelm it with gear. And I don't want to wear a heavy backpack.
Seriously you should have seen me on the 1200GS out for a long weekend camping and exploring a couple of years ago. It was loaded.

Rocky Mtn... Tusk stuff does seem to be getting good reviews on the internet and is so much more affordable than Mosko, Kriega, Giant Loop, etc.

I like the challenge of finding the right mix for the KLX, but I have a bit of a gear problem (I buy tons of gear, I love reading about gear, shopping for gear....) I need professional help.
So I have a TON of stuff for camping off the bike to make it more comfy, techy, etc. Won't be able to do that on this trip for sure. I look forward to trying to solve the problem perhaps without buying any new gear, but optimizing and being creative with what I already have. Must. fight. urge. to. now. get. all. ultralight. gear.....

I am very interested in this. I rode parts of the NMBDR in 2018 on an AT. Sounds like a good excuse to buy a "smaller" bike, which I've been thinking about for a bit. I live in Godley, but could meet up with the group in Iraan. My dad lives there.
The planning and trip itinerary is awesome.
I'll keep an eye on this thread with interest.
Perfect excuse to buy another bike. :rider: Meeting up in Iraan for the ride out would work - just know on the return the current route does not have us coming back through Iraan so you would have to depart the group.
Thank you for the kind works on the planning.

@JSP Jimmy - Thanks for doing the work here and being willing to lead and plan out this trip!
"Easy Going, Small Bikes, Smelling the Roses, etc...." First of its kind I have seen on this forum and very much appreciated!!
I am very interested but I have never done a trip this far / this long. I would need to do some serious saddle conditioning! The other big challenge for me would be getting off from work that long and getting permission from my wife to burn up so many PTO days on a trip without her! 🙏
Thanks to your early planning, I have time to work on all of these issues!

I would be riding a 2022 KLX300 that I am just now breaking in. A good fit for the backroads and pace you have mentioned.
Plenty of time to set it up for ADV riding but the biggest challenge would be paring down my equipment for that bike as most of my ADV Camping kit is more for a 1200GS to carry! Compromises will need to made with ultralight being the theme!
Hey Doyle, No worries my pleasure. Looks like there's a good group of riders interested so it should be fun. Well like you said I gave you a year of heads-up so no excuses. :welcome:

Yes the struggle going from packing a big bike to packing a small bike is real. I'm still working through those issues myself.... LOL

@TheD-Man a set of quality luggage will solve a lot. Rockymountainatvmc Tusk luggage line is a good place to start.

Tusk stuff is good but also check out Rigg Nelson line. I have lived off the bike for a week using the se3050 side cases and a small harbor freight pelican look alike tail case.

but, I admit, I wasn’t camping. Adding camp gear is going to be a challenge for me too.

The Riggs have fewer straps and such to deal with so opening and closing them is a little faster and less hassle than the tusk ones that JT is running on his 690. The Riggs also just proved they are waterproof. (And they have handy liner bags.)

with both systems, the weight is carried on the rear portion of the seat. Makenzie just needed some guides to keep the bags away from the tire and exhaust.

Also, the difference in packing for a 3 day trip or a 3 week trip is minimal.

Do you still have the DRZ?

Reactions: JSP
If you're having trouble reducing your packing size, try a couple short backpacking trips. Nothing teaches you what you do and don't need like having to carry all of it on your back.

Hey Jimmy,
I really appreciate the effort you have put into this and am seriously considering it. Lots of good information so far. Just curious how you think tires will hold up and whether or not that may be something to consider?

Thank you all for putting this together. I am really interested; I just got back from riding in northern NM and was planning on doing the NMBDR. Several details have to come together for me to go so I will be watching this thread.

Tusk stuff is good but also check out Rigg Nelson line. I have lived off the bike for a week using the se3050 side cases and a small harbor freight pelican look alike tail case.

but, I admit, I wasn’t camping. Adding camp gear is going to be a challenge for me too.

The Riggs have fewer straps and such to deal with so opening and closing them is a little faster and less hassle than the tusk ones that JT is running on his 690. The Riggs also just proved they are waterproof. (And they have handy liner bags.)

with both systems, the weight is carried on the rear portion of the seat. Makenzie just needed some guides to keep the bags away from the tire and exhaust.

Also, the difference in packing for a 3 day trip or a 3 week trip is minimal.

Do you still have the DRZ?
I like Nelson Rigg gear and have used their enduro saddle bags for some time. Too small for camping.
The SE3050 looks good and the price is really good. However they show it being used with racks in all of the pics and video. I do not plan to mount racks so that limits me a bit. I am looking at the Tusk Excursion as well - is that what JT has?
I got rid of that still new 2019 DRZ and I may regret it but I had issues with the carb clogging and then after doing the jet upgrade, it was jumpy on throttle response. I am no mechanic and had no resources for help, so rather than fiddle more with it, I traded it in on a KLX300. Not quite as tall and def not as powerful - but lighter and fuel injected! 👍🏼
This will be a fun bike for me off pavement but will be a big challenge to make it an ADV camping bike.

I like Nelson Rigg gear and have used their enduro saddle bags for some time. Too small for camping.
The SE3050 looks good and the price is really good. However they show it being used with racks in all of the pics and video. I do not plan to mount racks so that limits me a bit. I am looking at the Tusk Excursion as well - is that what JT has?
I got rid of that still new 2019 DRZ and I may regret it but I had issues with the carb clogging and then after doing the jet upgrade, it was jumpy on throttle response. I am no mechanic and had no resources for help, so rather than fiddle more with it, I traded it in on a KLX300. Not quite as tall and def not as powerful - but lighter and fuel injected! 👍🏼
This will be a fun bike for me off pavement but will be a big challenge to make it an ADV camping bike.

Rigg Nelson\ Nelson Rigg whatever! Lol

Not sure which Tusks JT has, but he does have a rack on the 690.

In my limited experience, unless you can pack like @ KsTeveM, you're gunna end up putting some kind of rack on.

Ya need something not to bear weight, but to keep bags from sucking into the tire or melting on the exhaust.

Hey Jimmy,
I really appreciate the effort you have put into this and am seriously considering it. Lots of good information so far. Just curious how you think tires will hold up and whether or not that may be something to consider?
Hi LicketySplit, No worries my pleasure I'm a planner so its fun for me. LOL With regards to tires - unless your running a super soft compound tire it shouldn't be a issue. I would say anything DOT rated should suffice. I'm planning on a MT21 and D606 combo and I'm not concerned given the intended slower paced HWY speed they should last for the trip and back no problem.

Back