• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kawasaki ZX-4RR

Reaction score
Looks like it's happening. Rumors say it would make about 80 HP. We don't get the ZX-25R but may be Kawasaki would bring the ZX-4R?

kawasaki-zx-4r-2.jpg

That sounds like fun 20 years and 50 some pounds ago. Not sure a 4 cylinder screamer would be much of a fit for me anymore.

As a daiy rider, I just can't see the point of a screamer. If it has to be wound up all the time to generate HP, it serves one purpose only. The non screamers are more flexible, infinitely more useful and can also be track dayed. Racing? Sure, it'd probably be fun but I'd wan't at least 120 and 180 wide tires. I'm not 5'4" and 105#.

Last edited:
If it has to be would up all the time to generate HP, it serves one purpose only. ...I'd wan't at least 120 and 180 wide tires. I'm not 5'4" and 105#.

I guess I don't get either of these points, maybe you can expand on it?

What difference does it make whether you rev it or not? I rev my Triumph enough for it to get going, I rev my GS500 enough to get going. That means I'm cruising on the highway at 5K rpm on the Triumph and 7K on the GS. I shift at 4-7K on the Triumph, 7-10K on the GS. If I had a 400cc 4-cyl I'd cruise at 9K and shift between 10 and 14K. My bikes are geared appropriately, I am sure a new Kawasaki would also be geared right.

And I don't get the wide tires. What's the value of the wider tires?

I guess I don't get either of these points, maybe you can expand on it?

What difference does it make whether you rev it or not? I rev my Triumph enough for it to get going, I rev my GS500 enough to get going. That means I'm cruising on the highway at 5K rpm on the Triumph and 7K on the GS. I shift at 4-7K on the Triumph, 7-10K on the GS. If I had a 400cc 4-cyl I'd cruise at 9K and shift between 10 and 14K. My bikes are geared appropriately, I am sure a new Kawasaki would also be geared right.

And I don't get the wide tires. What's the value of the wider tires?
I'm recalling the days of 400 screamers where they had a powerband 1000 rpm wide and revved to 19,000 rpms. Unless you were running around non-stop at 15,000 all the time, they were pretty useless as the HP didn't exist anywhere else. Just puttering around all day, you have to rev it to the moon and hold it there, no matter how it was geared. Even at the track, if you dipped down to say 13,000 rpms, you'd fall down the embankment, you just didn't have the HP to stay up there.

Tire sizes, these bikes, at least the ones running in the CMRA were typically 110 front and 130-140 rears. Fine when asking for race rubber at the track but on the street with appropriate street profiles and treads, I want more meat for a larger contact patch, not to mention more load capacity. As it stands with my 1000, I can use up a 190 and slide through the turns, so I I wouldn't want less than a 180 on a performance street bike.

While the zx-4r could be offered to the public at 80 hp, I'd bet it would more realistically be 65. While down on peak HP, I'd rather have the Ninja 400 twin for the lower end torque.

Bikes like this make sense in countries where there are strict c.c. limits that tax big engines heavily, and also age-limits on displacement. For us here in North America, we have no such restrictions. This ZX4R probably cost nearly as much to produce as a ZX6R and weigh not much less. I just don't see why a guy would opt for this instead. Sales of inline4 Supersports have dwindled to the point where most mfrs have given up on them, in favor of inline twins, which are cheaper to produce. Kawi is about the only holdout with the 636cc ZX6R. I've seen them marked down to below $8k.

Great bike, I'm sure. Sensible offering? Debatable.

I'm recalling the days of 400 screamers where they had a powerband 1000 rpm wide and revved to 19,000 rpms.

I think it's unlikely any modern bike is going to be like this.
Tire sizes, these bikes, at least the ones running in the CMRA were typically 110 front and 130-140 rears.

Yes that's the size on both of my bikes.

Fine when asking for race rubber at the track but on the street with appropriate street profiles and treads, I want more meat for a larger contact patch, not to mention more load capacity.

I get load capacity, but I think the contact patch is mostly a function of weight, not carcass size. Bigger tires on the same bike will not have a larger contact patch. You can run them at lower pressure and get a larger contact patch with less force connecting per area, so the amount of grip will be sort of the same, excepting nonlinearities in the material (which are substantial I think for rubber).

I hear what you are really saying is, you prefer the feel of a larger, heavier motorcycle, which requires bigger tires for the load rating.

I get load capacity, but I think the contact patch is mostly a function of weight, not carcass size. Bigger tires on the same bike will not have a larger contact patch. You can run them at lower pressure and get a larger contact patch with less force connecting per area, so the amount of grip will be sort of the same, excepting nonlinearities in the material (which are substantial I think for rubber).

I hear what you are really saying is, you prefer the feel of a larger, heavier motorcycle, which requires bigger tires for the load rating.
The last sentence likely is my preference but the feeling is not without merit.

Lowering the pressure on a smaller tire just stresses the carcass too much, reducing stability under braking, cornering and acceleration, generates excess heat, not to mention the reduction in load capacity. For the tires I buy, they're of the racier type, Dunlop Q3+ on the Buell and Bridgestone S22 for the Ninja 1000. The cross-sections are such that they lay down a sizable contact patch that progressively gets larger the more you lean. Exactly what I like. But also with the larger tires, you tend to have acess to a better selection of peformance rubber. I honestly don't care that I only get 3000 miles out of a rear. I prefer the performance advantages over mileage, traction being the priority. Smaller tire sizes generally aren't produced to be as high performance as the larger sizes as manufactures make them to suit a different intended purpose. This ZX-4R will no doubt have a purpose built tire but it's purpose will be more narrowly focused and options will be limited.

I wonder why a four cylinder and not triple? I tested the Ninja 400 twin, and found the lack of torque an issue. But, I would still love to own one.

Another article about the upcoming ZX-4R. Will it come to the US or will it be Europe and/ or Asia only? What kind of HP can be expected? 70? 75? 80?

So maybe I am missing something; why are there passenger pegs but only a single seat?

Unsure? Maybe it has a rear seat cowl cover?

The Kawa 'Let the Good Times Roll' demo days should be fun next spring!

Almost the same rendering as above, different colors. I like the blue the best. Never been a fan if Kawi lime green. The difference I see is the front nose of the fairing. The 1st rendering was more akin to their GP bike. The new rendering is more in line with the fronts on the slightly older Ninja 650 and 1000 minus an adjustable widscreen.

Lets see where this sits in price compared to the 636 which is only $11k w/o ABS and $12k with.

Almost the same rendering as above, different colors. I like the blue the best. Never been a fan if Kawi lime green. The difference I see is the front nose of the fairing. The 1st rendering was more akin to their GP bike. The new rendering is more in line with the fronts on the slightly older Ninja 650 and 1000 minus an adjustable widscreen.

Lets see where this sits in price compared to the 636 which is only $11k w/o ABS and $12k with.
I'm opposite. I like the Kawasaki green. I bet it will be a screamer.

I'm recalling the days of 400 screamers where they had a powerband 1000 rpm wide and revved to 19,000 rpms. Unless you were running around non-stop at 15,000 all the time, they were pretty useless as the HP didn't exist anywhere else. Just puttering around all day, you have to rev it to the moon and hold it there, no matter how it was geared. Even at the track, if you dipped down to say 13,000 rpms, you'd fall down the embankment, you just didn't have the HP to stay up there.

Tire sizes, these bikes, at least the ones running in the CMRA were typically 110 front and 130-140 rears. Fine when asking for race rubber at the track but on the street with appropriate street profiles and treads, I want more meat for a larger contact patch, not to mention more load capacity. As it stands with my 1000, I can use up a 190 and slide through the turns, so I I wouldn't want less than a 180 on a performance street bike.

While the zx-4r could be offered to the public at 80 hp, I'd bet it would more realistically be 65. While down on peak HP, I'd rather have the Ninja 400 twin for the lower end torque.
What 400 screamers are you referring to? Curious owner of a 1996 cbr250rr asking.

Back