• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

Met up with @Zephyr in Zephyr to break bread together.
20221021_142719.jpg

Then @need2tour and I continued to Lake Brownwood SP for some moto-camping.
20221021_171202.jpg

Had to put 4 gallons of premium in XR so I took a spin down a few dirt roads, Anyone seen the movie The Rookie? Thorndale grain storage silos are in it. Stopped at my second favorite eatery in Thorndale. The Shell gas station. I love that Hunt Brother's Pizza or hunk of pizza.. See new headlight protector in second picture :)
10-22-4.jpg

10-22-22 2.jpg

Last edited:
Stopped at my second favorite eatery in Thorndale. The Shell gas station. I love that Hunt Brother's Pizza or hunk of pizza. :)

I also had breakfast at a Shell station, that excellent taco kitchen nestled in a corner. Sausage tacos with "the sauce" and a puerco con chiles. Yum!

Used to stop for coffee at a Valero riding up 281 at the south Canyon Lake turnoff, and was miffed when they remodeled and took out Hunt Bros.
All microwave crap last time there. Even the lady behind the counter was mad, as the pizza made more money than gas!

Took a ride to Port Aransas today along with a co worker and his wife on his HD EG Limited to see the Wood Boat Builders festival. Have some pics I still need to upload. Took the ferry there and back, a little windy on the return trip, but not too bad.
Can't wait for the pictures.:photo:

Made a SHNF run this morning. Rain Monday made for perfect riding. That darn vine almost got me, very scary. That was exactly where I slid under it. Little over 19 miles. Not a real good pace being I was alone and lot of small debris had fallen. Fun little ride.
FD64336E-E2D7-4010-983E-57D8C3087B88.jpeg
FC21655F-3497-48F9-BBFD-75AFA5990514.jpeg
B7569D99-04C9-4CD9-BB38-18470F47CC28.jpeg
A628FD6D-6504-414E-B9A7-593229E694CC.jpeg

Last edited:
Got to do someone a solid. Been doing errands all day between beeville(bike inspection), George West ( taxes, license plate and vote too many people however). Then went to Calallen and exchange my glasses. Then got 2 vax at Walgreens. On way home saw bike on southbound 37 and thought 💭 wonder if he just need gas. Got back to my fire department and grabbed a quart of true fuel. Got back to him and he was amazed I stopped. He was from Illinois and going to Boca chica to see SpaceX. I said I would go with him if not for work tomorrow. Poured it in and his Kawasaki roared to life.

Attachments

• IMG_20221026_150842099_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221026_150842099_HDR.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
If you look closely, you'll see the Willow City Loop. I still didn't stop to eat anything though...

Attachments

• IMG_8842.jpeg
    IMG_8842.jpeg
    579.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8841.jpeg
    IMG_8841.jpeg
    635.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8839.jpeg
    IMG_8839.jpeg
    644.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8838.jpeg
    IMG_8838.jpeg
    579.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8834.jpeg
    IMG_8834.jpeg
    454 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8833.jpeg
    IMG_8833.jpeg
    539.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8831.jpeg
    IMG_8831.jpeg
    567.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8825.jpeg
    IMG_8825.jpeg
    491.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8824.jpeg
    IMG_8824.jpeg
    583.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8823.jpeg
    IMG_8823.jpeg
    595.2 KB · Views: 69
I like the sides better than the burgers.
I agree with you. I stopped by there yesterday and was kind of disappointed. I think the Diablo burger at Pecan Grove is better.

The ride through Crabapple and Alamo Springs was nice though - Thanks for the motivation FXDS1340. :thumb:

IMG_1099.jpg

The weather was so nice again today I could not help but get back out on two wheels. This time I headed east of Austin where my motorcycle shenanigans first began. My childhood friend "Ken" lived a half mile down the road from New Sweden church. I would ride my XL75 from Elgin to his place. He had an XL100 and we spent many days riding between the boundaries of 290, 79, 95 and I35.

IMG_1100.jpg

A few miles closer to Elgin is the granary and cotton gin near where I grew up. As a 12-15 year old, I drove many bobtail trucks full of wheat, maze (sorghum) and corn to here. Still in operation today, it looks the same as it did in 1980.

IMG_1102.jpg

A couple of miles and forty two years later, the hillside in the background still has the sharp terraces I enjoyed jumping one after another as a kid. Jumping downhill could get quite lofty and many times things went wrong. But, I never let that stop me from doing it again. The white water tower in the distance is Lund, Texas.

IMG_1107.jpg

Riding further eastward into the post oaks where my Grandmother grew up - Beaukiss, Texas. The Masonic lodge is the only building left standing from those days.

IMG_1112.jpg

Riding southeast from Beaukiss, I was not sure what to think of this tunnel until I realized I was close to the strip mines east of Elgin.

IMG_1116.jpg

Rather than keep heading towards Lexington, I turned southeast towards more family history and good memories. Parked on the side of my great Grandfather's store in McDade, Texas.

IMG_1119.jpg

The old store where my great Uncle would take the empty coke bottles to get new ones. I think cokes tasted much better back then. Don't you think?

IMG_1122.jpg

As a young boy, I remember my great Uncle bringing me here to Dungan grocery. At this age, it is a strange experience peering inside - back in time. What I would do to go back there.

IMG_1120.jpg

Anyone that grew up in central Texas in the 60s and 70s will recognize this.

IMG_1114.jpg

So, had it not been for the McDade Historical Museum, I would have known the town had such a violent past.

Taken from their website:

The first business in McDade was a tent saloon, where a tin cup of whiskey sold for 10 cents. With the coming of the railroad McDade became a shipping center for cotton and freight going to and from Austin, Bastrop, and Smithville. By the time the town was incorporated in 1873 it had a post office, a cotton gin, and a twelve-member Baptist congregation. The next year the first school was established. In 1879 McDade was called a "thriving depot town" of 150 people, but following the Civil War lawlessness and violence in the area had become a serious concern. The area was a stronghold for a group of outlaws known as the "Notch Cutters," and county law enforcement was far away and ineffective. By 1875 local citizens took the law into their own hands and hung two suspected outlaws, provoking retaliation with the murder of two vigilantes, which led to the hanging of a third outlaw. Early in 1876 two men were caught with a skinned cow, and the skin showed the Olive brand. Both men were shot on the spot. Five months later 15 men, believed to have been led by the son of one of the men shot, attacked the Olive ranch headquarters, killing two men of the ranch and burning the ranch house. On June 26, 1877, vigilantes stopped a dance, took four men out and lynched them. For five years after there was little crime or trouble. However, in November 1883 two men were murdered in Fedor, and in a separate incident another man was beaten, robbed and left for dead. Shortly afterward the deputy sheriff investigating these crimes was shot to death in McDade. A vigilante committee hung four of the suspected perpetrators. But the violence continued with the McDade Christmas hangings on Christmas Eve 1883, when three more suspected outlaws were executed. This event led to a gunfight in front of a McDade saloon on Christmas Day that left three more men dead. This ended the vigilante "justice," but violence and gunfights continued until 1912.

Attachments

• IMG_1114.jpg
    IMG_1114.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Back