• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

my little aluminum butt trip to GA

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Seery
I’ve been planning on going to visit my friends on north side of Atlanta for something on the order of 2 months now, so as the time drew near, I thought it would be kool to take the bike.

Since the ST1300 was finished, it looked like a prime opportunity to give the thing a good long run. and besides, bikes all get 40+ MPG on the hwy, I can’t even get 20mpg out of the 4Runner. sounds like a no brainer to me.

I had been watching the weather for the week prior to the trip in hopes that it was going to warm up and be a nice ride. It didn’t. I decided that I was going to go ahead and take the ride. Thats what heated grips and Belstaff jackets are for right?

When I started loading the bike at 0530 the thermostat in the apt was claiming it was 28.4*F
0.jpg

The bike thought it was a bit cooler then that

3.jpg

(forgot to reset the trip meter prior to the pic, but you can see the odo 15308)

it was cold, so I layered up, cranked the heated grips to High (or so I thought) and hit the road. the clock on the bike read 0607 when I pulled out of the driveway.

I didn’t make it to Dallas before I thought I was going to get lose my hands to frostbite. I stopped 3 times to warm my hands on the exhaust and/or the heads.

By 1000 it was all the way to 38* (according the the not-always-correct bike)
All this and my body was just fine. Knees got a little cool, but it was hands and toes that were cold. So I kept stopping every ~30-45min to warm back up. to say the least it was a slow trip.

About 1130 I made it to the LA border
11.jpg

yes, thats ~250mi in about 4hrs, yeesh

Stopped and grabbed a Quizzno’s sandwich and hit the road again about 1220. I was warmer by this point so I was able to make some better time.

Somewhere in LA, I stopped for a break and saw this sign. What are they implying??
12.jpg

I’m sure they *meant* to point to some specific area other then the trash can, but I just couldn’t resist a little creative interpretation ;)

Back on the road I ran into a back-log of traffic on I20 near Ruston, LA. Turns out that they had shut down East bound I20 from Ruston to Monroe. I don’t know the cause but they routed us down LA33 to HWY80 and over to Monroe. That trip which is normally ~25mi, took almost 3hrs.

I got stuck between a couple big rigs and the one in front had a shiny trailer!
13.jpg

I wish i’d had a CB during that time so I could at least have somebody to talk to!
My hands were getting warm so I flipped the grips from Hi to Low, I QUICKLY discovered that they were wired up wrong! they got HOT in a hurry. too bad I didn’t find that out sooner :argh:
I don’t know for sure but I think the instructions on the grips are wrong, because I remember double and triple checking that I had them right before buttoning the tupperware back on, but I could very well just had some cerebral flatulence and put them on wrong. I’ll have to take the plastic off and get them straightened out.

I had my VX-7r along so I plugged that in and found a little country station out of Monroe. Their DJs weren’t good at all, but the music was great!

By the time I got to Monroe, it was about 1500. time to make some distance. next stop: Vicksburg, Miss. landing there just before 1700.
14.jpg

I spent the rest of the evening doing my best to make tracks across Miss.

I crossed the border in to Bama around 2200. It was dark so I didn’t stop to get a pic of the state sign. I decided that I’d had enough for one day and it was getting darn cold again. so I grabbed a room in Tuscaloosa, AL for the night.

Woke up about 0700 and hit the road by 0745. It wasn’t any cooler Saturday morning either.
16.jpg

all that time and I’d still only gone 600mi!

I was able to make better time on Saturday. Stopped for breakfast at Waffle House around 0900 then back on the road to GA. Crossed the border in to GA around 1100. Construction started at the border so I didn’t want to risk stopping for a pic of the sign.

I turned North at Villa Rica
22.jpg

headed up HWY61 towards Dallas, GA. From there it was up 92 to Acworth and I was done by 1215. phew what a trip.

Saturday I didn’t do much of anything. sat around and talked, read letters from their sister/sister-in-law in Africa and just had a fended off the 2 dogs and a cat appropriately named ****.

Saturday night we went into town and picked up another controller for the newly-acquired PS2 (yes, the old cheap one :deal: ) and then proceeded to spend the rest of the evening playing games.

Sunday we got up and played more games. it was down right funny to watch her playing GTA: San Andreas and attempting to get away from the cops. :rofl:

Oh, she decided that on GT4, the Ram 1500 Hemi Quad Cab is the best thing out there cause “it doesn’t turn quick” :scratch:

While she was playing GT4 we got under the house and ran a network cable so they could have all their computers online at the same time.

Then it was off to bed for some sleep before I had to drive home to TX

Sunday I got up 0700 (CST), had breakfast, loaded the bike and hit the road right at 0810.
Sunday was much prettier then friday!

Made I20 by 0900, topped off the tank and headed west for home.
Made a quick stop at the Alabama border for the requisite sign pic
24.jpg

and continued on my way.

First stop was for lunch at 1200 in Miss, but I don’t remember town name.

Hit LA at 1600 and kept on trucking.

It started raining just past Monroe and was wet and/or foggy from there to home. stupid weather. Fortunately Belstaff knows how to keep the water out, now if I can remember to tuck the gloves INSIDE the sleeves next time I’ll be set.

Crossed into TX and stopped in Marshall at 2000 for gas and food. Pulled out of there around 2030.

Once I got West of Canton the fog started settling in. It would be clear enough to see stars one minute then the next you couldn’t see the road 200ft ahead of you.

Arrived home at 2330, all told, 14hrs and 20 min to cover 850mi, need to work on my efficiency.

The whole trip took me 1707.7mi
25.jpg

So what would I do different?
  • if the high temp for the day is below 40F, don’t take the bike.
  • make sure you know which setting is actually hi on your grips
  • take more pictures
  • stop less, or at least quicker
  • get a throttle lock
  • repeat :rider:

Nice little write up. 14 20 for 850 miles is not bad at all. Thats averaging right at 60mph, something that is nigh unto impossible in a car with a woman(dont ever tell her I said that)

Sounds like you could have a IBA plate without much problems.

Anything about the bike you dont like, or would change?

How was wind protection. I dont know much about it, since the ninja throws air right at my upper chest and head, and my dads nighthawk is windsheild less.

Matt

el_chupo_ said:
Nice little write up. 14 20 for 850 miles is not bad at all. Thats averaging right at 60mph, something that is nigh unto impossible in a car with a woman(dont ever tell her I said that)
{dials Jacque}

nah, I wouldn't do that, we guys have to stick to gether againts the "greater" sex. :wary:

Sounds like you could have a IBA plate without much problems.

Anything about the bike you dont like, or would change?

How was wind protection. I dont know much about it, since the ninja throws air right at my upper chest and head, and my dads nighthawk is windsheild less.

Matt

Wind protection is great on the ST. I tried putting the sheild all the way up, but I didn't really like it. when its up the top of the shield is right in the field of vision and the wind goes over and loops back into the back bottom of my helmet, so I put the shield back down for the trip. This position puts the wind right at the top of the helmet, creates a little noise, but no buffetting.

as for changes to the bike, just a throttle lock. my knees get sore after sitting in one position for too long, but I don't think the foot pegs that go on the tip-over wings would be far enough forward for my freakishly long legs.

I wound up moving my feet between the pegs, passanger pegs and stretching my knees out by setting my legs on the wings.

oh, gotta isolate the comm system from the charging system, had an annoying buzz under acceleration :argh:

I have a friend that rides using the 40/40 rule: If it's below 40 degrees or greater than 40% chance of rain, he doesn't ride. He's not a ST rider ;-)

If you have the stock seat on the ST, you'd have to have an aluminum butt to survive the trip!

the only reason I don't like riding below 40* is that even with the heated grips the tips of my fingers get darn cold. maybe I need some better gloves or something.
40% chance of rain doesn't bother me! :rider:

I don't have anything non-stock on the bike except for the heated grips. what seat do you have?

Thanks for the write-up, Nathan. I agree that you made great time on the way home. Look at it this way; you have 24 hours to do the Saddle Sore 1k. It would have been a breeze. Sleep for a few hours and add 500 more miles for the Butt Burner 1.5k. Some buddies and I are going to give it a go this spring. I'll give you a shout.

Wait, you mean to tell me that you went 1700+ miles in the cold to sit on the couch and play video games??? The only thing crazier would be to do the same for a slice of pie! ;-)

(Ok, so we're all nuts in our own way - just sign me up for the Springtime SS attempt)

I have the stock saddle, but it's been modified by Spencer (on the ST-Owners.com forum). That was the best $50 I've spent on the STeed so far...

Squeaky said:
Wait, you mean to tell me that you went 1700+ miles in the cold to sit on the couch and play video games??? The only thing crazier would be to do the same for a slice of pie! ;-)

(Ok, so we're all nuts in our own way - just sign me up for the Springtime SS attempt)
yup pretty much! :dude:

oh, did I mention seeing some of my absolute best friends? ;)

Roy, what all does Spencer do to the seat? I've seen his adds and praises over there but haven't seen what he does

tx-vfr said:
the only reason I don't like riding below 40* is that even with the heated grips the tips of my fingers get darn cold. maybe I need some better gloves or something.

You may need better winter gloves plus a layering glove. I use underarmor and Tourmaster. At 21*, my hands get a little cold but not freezeing for my 40 miles trip to work without using the heated grips on the wing. With the heated grips, I can ride all day/night.

tx-vfr said:
Arrived home at 2330, all told, 14hrs and 20 min to cover 850mi, need to work on my efficiency.

Actually ... if yuou covered 850 miles in 14.5 hours, I'd say your return trip was pretty dang efficient. You were only 150 miles shy of the 1000 mile mark ... at 70mph, that just a hair over 2 hours. 16.5 - 17 hours is pretty normal SS1K times for people who've done them before. And since that's less than a tank of gas on your ST, you wouldn't get hit with much time loss from stops.

I think you could do it pretty easily with some good weather, and could have done it had you figured out your heated grip problem before leaving the house. Congrats on the ride!

Thanks for the tips ya'll!

for gloves I was wearing my TourMaster PolarTex Thinsulate things I got from Honda West. I don't know the model name but they ran me $55 oh, waterproof too.

I had a pair of glove liners on under that, nothing special, just a bit of something cheap.

The reason I say I could have been more efficient was that I stopped every 80-90mi. if I'd done the 190 that I did from Marshall to home I could have made the trip a fair bit shorter.

After you get used to 190 miles between stops, then you can start pushing for 240-250 miles between stops. :eek2:

I never could consistently push the ST past 250 miles, but it would do 230-240 all day every day without a worry.

the question isn't the machine its my bum!

I really was ok after that 190, I guess I was just so anxious to get home that I didn't want to stop

I averaged ~43mpg at an indicated 85mph (probably something like 70-75 actual) at that pace I filled up when it started flashing at ~260mi/tank

My ST was a little more of a "barn door" than yours ... with my extra tall/wide windshield and big ole top box. 43mpg sounds pretty good!

Glad to hear of your safe and enjoyable return Nathan.
Also enjoying the LD talk, something I hope to become more involved in.

Charlie, what all mods/farkles did you have on your ST and what would you say was the most beneficial?

tx-vfr said:
Roy, what all does Spencer do to the seat? I've seen his adds and praises over there but haven't seen what he does

Spencer reshapes the foam so that it cradles your butt. This helps distribute the weight and keeps you from sliding into the tank. It's not a Russell, but it's not bad, especially for the price.

rgatling said:
Spencer reshapes the foam so that it cradles your butt. This helps distribute the weight and keeps you from sliding into the tank. It's not a Russell, but it's not bad, especially for the price.
I was just looking at his thread over on ST-owners. good looking stuff.

I may have to get that done. course I didn't have an trouble with sliding anyway, but something that fits my bum better is always welcome!

tx-vfr said:
Charlie, what all mods/farkles did you have on your ST and what would you say was the most beneficial?

Oh ... the list was quite long. :) Several of the things I did went with the bike, some I removed to move over to the RT, and some are still sitting in my garage waiting for me to figure out what to do with them. But let's see ...

The two biggest improvements I got were from adding Grip Puppies over the OEM heated grips, and adding a sheepskin seat pad over the seat. I later replaced the stock seat with a Sargent seat, but for all practicality, it was the sheepskin pad that made all the difference in the world. Even after going with the Sargent seat, I still had to keep the seat pad on there. I also had real comfort problems with the OEM heated grips ... way too firm, and their size caused problems with my hands over extended use. The grip puppies worked wonderfully ... increased the size of the grips, and made them MUCH more comfortable.

Outside of those two modifications, I had:
Aeroflow Medium shield (replaced CeeBailey +6 +4, replaced Laminar Lip)
Aeroflow headlight protector
Aerostich Sheepskin Seat Pad
Autocom Intercom
AutoZone LED Marker Light Replacements
Dick Seng PIAA Light Mounts with PIAA 910s
Fenda Extenda
Garmin 2730 + XM
Givi E52 Topbox
Grip Puppies
Heli-bar risers
Hondaline Accessory Power Outlet
Hondaline Fairing Deflectors
Hondaline Heated Grips
Hondaline Mirror Deflectors
Hondaline Tank Pad
LED Mirror-Mounted Turn Signals
McCruise Electronic Cruise Control
Ron Smith Dash Shelf
Sargent Seat
SmarTire - tire pressure monitoring system
STeed STicks Highway Pegs
Tailbrights Retro-reflective Decals
Target brand Deer Whistles
Throttlemeister Throttle Lock (Heavy, brushed finish)
TurboCity Fuel Pressure Regulator
Valentine 1 - mounted in Hoon Hardware RD box

I'm sure I'm missing a few things ... I'll edit as I remember more. :)

:hail:

thats quite a list you got there!

looks like I've got a lot of farkeling to do :rider:

Glad you made it safely. :sun:

While I don't mind riding in the colder temps, I don't think I would want to attempt a SS1000 in that kind of weather. :eek2:

Seems like your current setup would do the job( :rider: ) however, there are always good reasons to install more "farkles". :mrgreen:

Considering the conditions, that was more like a "brass butt" (brass has more "clout" than aluminum)!

Well, done, young feller! :thumb:

I think I need proper winter gloves (apparently mine are TEXAS winter gloves) and I should be good to go!

Back