• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Reader's Digest condensed version.

Real spring water. I passed this several times and there was usually several people waiting to fill household size bottles.

IMG_20230608_091746141.jpg

I've enlarged the carrying capacity of my luggage. Actually, my wife is arriving today for a two week stay and she needs a cooler for diabetic supplies while we drive around in a rental car. She would ride on our Burgman 650, but then I would have had to ride it for the solo portion of my trip. See you in two weeks when my solo ride resumes.
IMG_20230608_181314527_HDR.jpg

My good luck continues, kinda. Due to cancellations, a bed and breakfast inside Waterton National Park was discounted over 60 percent. Two nights for two people was $220. Yea!! After we paid our entry fees for the park, the ranger told us all roads in the park, with the exception of the entry road, were closed due to yesterday's flash flood. Also, all hiking trails within the park, except sidewalks in the town, were closed. Our host told us to ignore the barricades and hike anyway. I read the fine print about the fine. $25,000. Amount to cover a typical successful s

IMG_20230612_164157921.jpg
earch and rescue.
IMG_20230612_163038008.jpg

Cool! Part of my planned route will take us through Yaak and then over to Glacier NP before we begin the Southbound return leg of our trip.

Scott, the lake is the Koocanusa Lake. There's an official scenic route on the east side of the lake, but after riding both sides, I think the small road on the west side is better, at least from the bridge south. We didn't see a single vehicle until we got close to Libby. The road follows the lake shore, but sometimes it's way above the water level because because of how steep the mountains are on both sides of the lake.

The route I have planned has us coming in from the West on Yaak River Road, hitting NF92/228 and running it all the way to the Southern tip of the lake, then coming back up the paved side on Hwy 37 to Eureka. I was thinking of staying the previous night at Caribou Campground, which is up by NF-5800 on the East Fork Yaak River.

Jasper NP along the Icefields Highway. The scenery from Waterton, through Banff, and all the way to Hinton, Alberta is non stop rugged, glacier carved mountains on all sides. The only drawback is the curves. I know the mountain descriptions imply sharp turns, but that is not the case. Wide lanes and 8' wide shoulders mean no brakes needed at 110 KM/hr.
IMG_20230616_143456782_HDR.jpg

These are great pictures. Thanks for sharing them.
You're welcome. I have nearly 1,000 pictures on my camera and this ride/drive is going to end when I get tired. I left home on May 4th and feel fresh. My wife will be with me for another week (2weeks total) and has promised to meet me again in 6 to 8 weeks for another couple of weeks. I'll share some of my camera pictures and some stories in another thread when I get back home and have access to a real computer and keyboard. I'm beginning to hate this phone.

The heat/humidity combo here right now is full on brutal. You body overheats but sweating does no good. You have sweat in places you didn't know could sweat! :eek2: I can't wait for it to get hotter so the humidity will at least come down to reasonable levels again :zen:

Right now we're so far north that we went to our room at 10:00PM and the sun was still up. We saw a sign yesterday that pointed out the scenic route to Alaska. I thought we were already on the scenic route.

IMG_20230616_170331049_HDR.jpg

Back