• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

The weather was pretty good today for the first day in a while. Nice day for a ride to the monthly North Texas Norton Owners Association (NTNOA) meeting in Dallas.

Had a pretty good turn out today.

i-X6RQ8NS-L.jpg

A tale of 2 Harleys. Lore has it the guy that owns the old bike, bought it 25 years ago from the original owner and promised to keep it original.

i-tZvVqTj-L.jpg

The second bike is one of 50ish custom made by a guy in Cali. The details and quantity of the custom machined parts is crazy.

i-chrJXzS-L.jpg

A few more bikes on a nice day.

i-QGP9Jtk-L.jpg

i-LCBCznS-L.jpg

i-BSJCQg8-L.jpg

i-3HBQzzQ-L.jpg

My perfect record of not winning a 50/50 drawing remains intact. It was a short but pleasant 50 mile ride. Made it home to watch the second half of the KC Baltimore game.

since I picked up the RT in December the 390 has not seen much love. Saturday I rode over to Alvin and met some of the Houston group at their ride to eat lunch. Got 363 miles in. So yesterday, nice weather, decided I should get a bit of gravel therapy. While we do not have the best gravel options around Victoria I do have a few so took the 390 out for a jaunt. WooHoo, got around 7 or 8 miles of gravel on a 65 mile ride. Oh well, the 390 got some exercise and I got to ride a bit of gravel that I won't ride the RT on. At least the rain had made it a bit different than the last time I went through. No real mud or bad ruts but not just hard pack and sand.

road1.jpg

road2.jpg

No way I'm going through 170 pages of posts to see if anyone has posted this one, but there goes:

Sally and I left Leander (NW Austin) mid-morning on Tuesday and headed out 1431 to Marble Falls for a Subway sandwich. 1431 is a very nice twisty hill country ride with a couple of scenic viewpoints along the Colorado river, USUALLY light-to-moderate traffic unless you go during morning, after-school or evening drive times. Following school busses is never fun. Easy 60MPH in all but 1 or 2 tight switchbacks. 2-lane with occasional slow-traffic turnouts; you need to be RIGHT WITH the slow traffic to nip them at the turnouts, because they are VERY short.

After the sandwich and a slow roll past the river crossing, we zipped down 281 to Johnson City to catch 290 following the Pedernales River to Fredericksburg. Not as tight/twisty, but very nice sweepers with plenty of shoulder. Johnson City is the home of the Texas Motorcycle Museum, but we didn't stop on this trip... https://www.texasvintagemotorcyclemuseum.com/ VERY nice, former Ford dealership from WAY back, fantastic array of bikes.

Here is where I am going to write a VERY STERN letter to TxDOT regarding the BRAND NEW section of 290 approaching Fredericksburg that feels like 20 miles of WASHBOARD! How on EARTH they allowed that contractor to continue (they're still at it), and how the sign-off inspector still has a JOB, I'll never know. ABSOLUTE DISGRACE. I kid you not, cruising in the most plush car will STILL feel cruddy. UN-BLOODY-BELIEVABLE.

We arrive mid-afternoon and immediately headed to the Pioneer Museum https://www.pioneermuseum.org/ and did the self-tour including the brief movie telling the history of the first non-war-related German immigrant settlement in Texas. Pretty interesting, lots of period relics to view, walk-thru buildings, barn, blacksmith shop, etc.

We stayed at the Comfort Inn & Suites, we're "Choice" members and had some points to use up. We've been using that chain of hotels about 15 years now. Worth it. https://www.choicehotels.com/

Dinner was at the "Auslander", a really nice Austrian place we've enjoyed before. Highly recommended for authentic food. https://theauslanderfredericksburg.com/ I had the Pecan-crusted Redfish, Sally had the Jagerschnitzel. RECOMMENDED.

We were pretty tuckered out, and woke up about 10 minutes before checkout time, so we had to hustle and beat feet to see the sights. Lots of places close during the week, so there wasn't much point shopping. Instead, we went to Friedhelm's Bavarian Inn and perused the Schnitzel menu to great success. ALSO HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

We took 16 North toward home and passed by the Pecan Grove Store, home of the famous "Dino Burger", and a tidy motorcycle museum. We didn't stop, but it is definitely RECOMMENDED. http://pecangrovestore.com/

The route that I pre-planned had us turning off at 1323 near Willow City, then taking that route through Sandy and jumping back on 281 North to Marble Falls. We parked my 2000 Triumph legend 900 Triple and I rode Sally's 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic (with her on the back) over to Horseshoe Bay https://www.hsbresort.com/ just to cruise past the beautiful lake vistas. A quick stop at the Bluebonnet Cafe for pie & a shake, and it was back home via 1431. man, you can gain a few pounds there just in ONE STOP! https://www.bluebonnetcafe.net/

Traffic heading home was nice, everyone doing the speed limit or higher. Twisties are not very fun if you are behind a construction truck dribbling debris & materials at 28 MPH...

So, we did 204 miles round-trip. We could have easily done it in one day, but it was so much nicer lounging in our hotel room.

BikeRide Jan24.jpg

1706804464356.png

Last edited:
7 of us braved the early morning chill to ride the Groveton Loop. Most of it not as bad as expected, although there was several challenging spots for the 3 of us on big bikes. Other 4 were on DR Suzukis, 3 650's, 1 400. Couple of interesting water crossings and lots of ruts. But the mud wasn't as bad as expected. Coming out of the big creek crossing it was extremely soft and deep, rooster tail city. The other creek crossing the runoff has uncovered the 3 pipes, they're at an angle so that was a little spooky. Lots of water spots on the roads, fun stuff!

835F50D6-85D8-4FA3-AAF1-41978CBF7A89.jpeg

F691E147-F8EF-45F3-B274-DD9FC2C7A1AB.jpeg

4E900DAD-9955-4E28-A096-A74086FA461C.jpeg

7 of us braved the early morning chill to ride the Groveton Loop. Most of it not as bad as expected, although there was several challenging spots for the 3 of us on big bikes. Other 4 were on DR Suzukis, 3 650's, 1 400. Couple of interesting water crossings and lots of ruts. But the mud wasn't as bad as expected. Coming out of the big creek crossing it was extremely soft and deep, rooster tail city. The other creek crossing the runoff has uncovered the 3 pipes, they're at an angle so that was a little spooky. Lots of water spots on the roads, fun stuff!

View attachment 374145

View attachment 374146

View attachment 374147
Looks like a must do.

Signed up for the Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas to give me a reason to get out and ride. Guess it is working, went to Bandera today to pick up my flag. If I had not planned this due to the MGTT I probably would not have ridden today, kind of cold and real windy. Ended up with 493 miles and a nice ride though. Since one of the stops was the Bent Rim Grill decided to hit it while I was in the area. Told a couple of people about the site here so maybe they will check it out.

Here is a photo I took for the tour at BRG. Didn't really stop to take any others. Need to get better at doing that.

stop-23-bent-rim-grill-02-17-24-1200.png

If this was Saturday, that had to be a pretty "cool" ride. Where I was all day never got above 46*. Nice bike!

If this was Saturday, that had to be a pretty "cool" ride. Where I was all day never got above 46*. Nice bike!

It was a cool ride. When I left at 7:20 it was 49 degrees. Got colder the further I went. Not sure how accurate the temp is on the RT but between Hondo and Bandera it showed 36 degrees in a couple of the low spots. By the time I got done picking up my flag it was up in the 40s. I will say the RT has great wind protection. When I got home it was down to 48. Never really got cold except the last 20 minutes before arriving at Hondo, not bad though.

I rode out to London and back today. It was a great day to be in the hill country. On the way out there, I stopped at a roadside marker near a couple of "mountains". This one turned out to be extra interesting...

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

I've heard about the 8 Mile Ghost road, today was the day to ride over and check it out, why not! Weird thing about this road, 8 miles and as flat and straight as it can be. Saw a truck coming in the distant and took forever to meet up, lol. I bet it's a swamp when wet, marsh type land on both sides most of the time.

1000004195.jpg

1000004196.jpg

1000004197.jpg

1000004198.jpg

Last edited:
I took the WR250R to Mason and back today.

IMG_2125.jpg

Spring is early again. Just outside Click.

IMG_2137.jpg

Just north of Enchanted Rock.

IMG_2146.jpg

Llano river Hwy 87 bridge.

IMG_2158.jpg

I noticed a historical marker in an interesting looking cemetery, so I decided to stop and take a look. Notice the bluebonnets are already out.

IMG_2148.jpg

My family settled near here in the 1840s. Historical markers like this one, and there are many, reinforce the stories I was told.

IMG_2153-2.jpg

There are quite a few children buried here. Makes one think. This one auf deutsch got my attention. What a difference 80 years makes.

IMG_2198.jpg

There is still enough water out here to make my mostly healed femur twitch a little.

IMG_2193.jpg

This was by far the most colorful thing I saw all day. Just gorgeous!

Attachments

• IMG_2165.jpg
    IMG_2165.jpg
    707.2 KB · Views: 20
I got out for a ride Saturday. Real nice weather though a bit chilly in the early morning, 35 degrees at one point, and pretty warm mid afternoon, saw 88 degrees. The main goal was to pick up stops on the Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas but I took a few photos at Presidio De San Saba as it was pretty interesting. Thought I would post them here and just keep stop photos in my thread on the MGTOT.

One thing that always surprises me on these old forts is just how thick the walls are. The ones here I would guess are 30 - 36 inches thick, that is a lot of rock!

intro.jpg

left-of-gate.jpg

right-of-gate.jpg

inside.jpg

vip-quarters.jpg

And one with the bike in it.
13-presidio-de-san-saba.jpg

Back